Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:59 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
MBA Prep School CEO & Co-Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Ask MBA Prep School [#permalink]
Expert Reply
av2012 wrote:
Hi Tyler,

I will appreciate your feedback on my profile and also if I have any chance of receiving scholarships. I am 23 years / male (started working at 20).

Present position - Applications Engineer/Consultant, Semiconductor (SC) Sales and Marketing (Among world's three largest SC companies).
\

Hello av2012,

I understand from my colleague, Chris Aitken, that he provided you detailed feedback on your profile over the phone and that you are considering engaging one of our consultants. Thank you for reaching out to MBA Prep School and do keep us posted if we can be of assistance in your application campaign.

Kind regards,
Tyler
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 660 Q41 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Hi Tyler,

Hoping you can give me some advice! I am currently building an Alternative Transcript to mitigate my low undergrad gpa (2.89). I plan on applying for NYU Part-Time Langone program this Fall (applications are due my 5/15).

I've taken 2 courses with UCLA Extension: Mathematics for Management and Accounting 1A (Part 1). I've gotten an A+ in Mathematics for Management, and will find out my grade for Accounting by the end of the week (when I submit my final test.. but so far I have an A+ in this class as well).

I want to take 2 more courses before it's time to start the application. My question is: Is there any benefit to me taking courses at NYU (SCPS Noncredit Offerings) rather than UCLA Extesnion, since I will be applying for NYU Stern? UCLA Extension is less expensive and less time consuming (online). But if I'm planning to go to NYU Stern, will taking NYU classes further prove my time-management skills?

Some more background:
GMAT: 720 (49Q, 39V)
Extracirricular:
- ASCEND Leadership Committee Lead for NJ Chapter ( Pan-Asian professional group)
- Advisor for CQ Central NJ (high school animal rescue volunteer group- first of its kind!)
- Advisor for Sorority (6/2011-8/12)
- Volunteer for city animal shelter
- Softball team at work (seasonal)

Thank you in advance!
Send PM
Expert Reply
chris558 wrote:
Hi Tyler,

Hoping you can give me some advice! I am currently building an Alternative Transcript to mitigate my low undergrad gpa (2.89). I plan on applying for NYU Part-Time Langone program this Fall (applications are due my 5/15).

I've taken 2 courses with UCLA Extension: Mathematics for Management and Accounting 1A (Part 1). I've gotten an A+ in Mathematics for Management, and will find out my grade for Accounting by the end of the week (when I submit my final test.. but so far I have an A+ in this class as well).

I want to take 2 more courses before it's time to start the application. My question is: Is there any benefit to me taking courses at NYU (SCPS Noncredit Offerings) rather than UCLA Extesnion, since I will be applying for NYU Stern? UCLA Extension is less expensive and less time consuming (online). But if I'm planning to go to NYU Stern, will taking NYU classes further prove my time-management skills?

Hi Chris558,

That's an easy one -- the NYU courses will certainly carry more weight than the UCLA Extension courses. Unless it is completely impractical, I would recommend you take NYU courses to further bolster your alternative transcript.

Good luck,
Tyler
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am a Pakistani National and want to do mba from a top usa university. Kindly provide me with realistic evaluation of my profile and the ways to improve it.

Born December 1991
O Levels 2007
A Levels 2009
ACCA (Association of Chartered Certified Accountants) Affiliate 2012
Bsc(Hons.) Applied Accounting Oxford Brookes University 2013 : Upper Second Class Honours
Work Experience : None
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Tyler,

Please evaluate my profile and provide you valuable feedback/suggestions.

Personal:
Vibha/ 29 Y/ Female/ Indian

GMAT:
1st attempt - 650; V- 30(66%), Q – 49 (83%)

Academics:
Under grads – B.Tech (Information Technology) Overall percentage – 76%, GPA – 3.5

Work Experience:
- 7.5 years of full time work experience with Infosys Technologies
- Current designation is Technology Lead and role and responsibility involve managing projects.
- Got three promotions till date
- Managing a team of 16 associates
- Always worked with International Banking clients and thus have a very strong knowledge of international banking.
- Received a number of awards from Infosys such as Insta Award ’12, Spot Award ’12, MVP Award ’11 etc.

Extracurricular:
- Started my own training and placement firm in 2010 (with my husband), created a number of state level and few national level clients. Got a very good exposure but shut it down in 2012.
- I am a self motivated artist and organized a number of my art work exhibitions, a few were curated by me. Aggressively participates in any group exhibition work. I am a well known name in my city.
- I am an active social worker mainly contributing towards the education of underprivileged children. Some of my works – Established a non-profitable sub-unit in my training and placement firm in the name of ‘Free Mondays’ wherein I use to teach computer basics to underprivileged kids and I am currently an active part of a named NGO of my state.
- College and school level: Started an art and cultural club in college (being the first B.Tech batch of college got the privilege to do a fresh start of the club). This experienced helped a lot in creating a vision to open my own firm. Vice-president of house (grouping of school children in 4 houses) during my school.
- Won a number of awards in school and college, major of those are Best painter (State level), Miss School ’00, list is endless.

Few of my queries –
1. I am targeting top-20 US schools. Is my profile competitive for the same? If not, what should be my target (I am not planning to take GMAT again)?
2. What do you think are my major strengths and weaknesses?
3. I am planning for 2014 batch and I still have some time for opening of 1st round, so what areas I should focus to make a strong competitive profile.
4. Whether my work in field of art will be given a due consideration, and how may I provide the best impact with this expertise of mine?

Thanks in advance.
Vibha
Send PM
Expert Reply
vibhadhiman wrote:
Hi Tyler,

Please evaluate my profile and provide you valuable feedback/suggestions.

Personal:
Vibha/ 29 Y/ Female/ Indian

GMAT: This score is a big risk factor for any school that has higher than 650 as a median. Also, because of the competitive pool you are in as an Indian applicant the median score for your competition will be higher than a school's published median. I recommend retaking to raise your verbal about 80 percentile to eliminate this risk factor.
1st attempt - 650; V- 30(66%), Q – 49 (83%)

Academics: Where you earned your degree will matter and your class rank; however, the grades are in line with the top 20 business school competition; probably firmly in the second quartile. A school that is unknown to the MBA admissions committee is a risk factor.
Under grads – B.Tech (Information Technology) Overall percentage – 76%, GPA – 3.5

Work Experience: Infosys is a well-respected company and your work experience appears competitive with applicants to the top 20 US schools, but a lack of international experience will count against you. I like the team leadership and the promotions. Your work experience is higher than average for most top 20 full-time MBA programs. The programs in Europe tend to be more interested in more seasoned candidates. Age is a minor risk factor. Your references letters will need to be exemplary and support the idea that you have high potential for a business/management career.
- 7.5 years of full time work experience with Infosys Technologies
- Current designation is Technology Lead and role and responsibility involve managing projects.
- Got three promotions till date
- Managing a team of 16 associates
- Always worked with International Banking clients and thus have a very strong knowledge of international banking.
- Received a number of awards from Infosys such as Insta Award ’12, Spot Award ’12, MVP Award ’11 etc.

Extracurricular: I think the schools will value the impact you've made; however, the fact that you shut down your firm is a drawback. Your artistic talent and awards are an interesting differentiator of your candidacy, which always helps.
- Started my own training and placement firm in 2010 (with my husband), created a number of state level and few national level clients. Got a very good exposure but shut it down in 2012.
- I am a self motivated artist and organized a number of my art work exhibitions, a few were curated by me. Aggressively participates in any group exhibition work. I am a well known name in my city.
- I am an active social worker mainly contributing towards the education of underprivileged children. Some of my works – Established a non-profitable sub-unit in my training and placement firm in the name of ‘Free Mondays’ wherein I use to teach computer basics to underprivileged kids and I am currently an active part of a named NGO of my state.
- College and school level: Started an art and cultural club in college (being the first B.Tech batch of college got the privilege to do a fresh start of the club). This experienced helped a lot in creating a vision to open my own firm. Vice-president of house (grouping of school children in 4 houses) during my school.
- Won a number of awards in school and college, major of those are Best painter (State level), Miss School ’00, list is endless.

Few of my queries –
1. I am targeting top-20 US schools. Is my profile competitive for the same? If not, what should be my target (I am not planning to take GMAT again)? Given the risk factors I highlighted, I would say your sweet spot is for schools with a 30%+ acceptance rate. 20 to 29% acceptance rate is reaching but possible with a higher GMAT and flawless execution on your application. You'd probably receive some interest from the higher (though not highest) ranked Canadian and Europeans schools.
2. What do you think are my major strengths and weaknesses? See notes above
3. I am planning for 2014 batch and I still have some time for opening of 1st round, so what areas I should focus to make a strong competitive profile. Raise your GMAT, cultivate great reference letters, aim for a work project with a multi-cultural team and client, and add a high impact achievement in one of your existing activities outside of work.
4. Whether my work in field of art will be given a due consideration, and how may I provide the best impact with this expertise of mine? I think it is a differentiator; you need to convince them of the benefit of this experience once you an MBA student and in your future as a leader.

Thanks in advance.
Vibha
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Tyler for your prompt reply. I value your recommendations but could you look at following queries-

1) I have always worked with International Banking clients such as American Express, Royal Bank of Scotland etc. I have got opportunities to move to international locations but due to personal constraints I opted to work from India. Whereas, I was always a key participant in most of the direct customer meetings and all sort of communications as I am managing the projects end to end from past 2 years.
Do you think working with international clients from India location will not add any value or international presence is must?
2) Please let me know my admit chances in following schools (with my current GMAT score)-
- Haas
- Stern
- Fuqua
- Ross
- Austin : McCombs
- Toronto : Rotman

Thanks once again.
Vibha
Send PM
Expert Reply
vibhadhiman wrote:
Thanks Tyler for your prompt reply. I value your recommendations but could you look at following queries-

1) I have always worked with International Banking clients such as American Express, Royal Bank of Scotland etc. I have got opportunities to move to international locations but due to personal constraints I opted to work from India. Whereas, I was always a key participant in most of the direct customer meetings and all sort of communications as I am managing the projects end to end from past 2 years. This is great. I didn't realize you'd worked with blue chip firms like these; so it does improve your competitiveness.
Do you think working with international clients from India location will not add any value or international presence is must?
2) Please let me know my admit chances in following schools (with my current GMAT score)-
Percentage chances are tough to guestimate. I am guessing you'll fair well at Rotman. Fuqua is possible but I think your GMAT score may land you on the wait list. Ross and Stern are good reach schools given my analysis. I don't think Haas will come through given small class size and low acceptance rates.

- Haas
- Stern
- Fuqua
- Ross
- Austin : McCombs
- Toronto : Rotman

Thanks once again.
Vibha

Best of luck, Vibhat!

Please visit our website https://mbaprepschool.com/season-pass/ and check out our Virtual Consulting series. You will learn how to flawlessly execute every element of your MBA application, including essays, resume, reference letters, application forms, and inteviews.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello Team,

Need your help on profile evaluation and how good/bad are my chances of getting into INSEAD for January 2014 intake. Why I am only interested in INSEAD:

1) Its a fast track program
2) I would prefer working in Eastern Hemisphere in future and preferably in Oil&Gas industry in Singapore or Europe.
3) If at all I want to move back to consulting I know INSEAD is best.

Profile:

4 years of experience: 3 years with McKinsey in India as Analyst, 1 yr in business development with Halliburton Energy Services (oil and gas) in UK.

Currently working in UK.

GRE score: 1420/1600 ( Long back I had thought I ll go for MS and had given GRE, the score is still valid)
Nationality : Indian
Education: Computer Science Engineering from one of the top 15 colleges in India but not an IIT.

I am not inclined to go back to consulting and would like to move to a senior BD role in Oil&Gas industry. Quite confused if I should go ahead for January 2014 intake or for July 2014.

Is the GRE score good enough? I know its good for US universities for MS but not sure about its acceptance in MBA courses. Atleast 6 people from my team in McKinsey have already got into INSEAD in last 2 yrs but they went with more experience so not sure if I have enough experience.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Forgot to mention my extra cirriculars :

1) Have won gold medals in Table tennis in all tournaments in Univeristy all 4 years. Won gold medal on state level as well.
2) Dance competitions
3) Involved in 2 start ups in Education industry but sadly left both in mid because of job requirements however the ultimate aim is still to start on own after a few years.
4) CSR initiatives in company. An excellence award in McKinsey.
5) I doubt school achievements would count now.

My CGPA in college was 8.6/10 with honours award.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello aanchi01,

Your profile appears competitive for INSEAD. They will respond to your academic profile; however, taking the GMAT and scoring in the 90% would shore up this aspect of your candidacy. Your leadership outside of work appears sufficient though not record setting. By the way, they will be interested in college leadership as a proxy for how involved you might be as a student leader if accepted. Your McKinsey experience will be prized by INSEAD, and I also think the fact that you've left consulting to work at Haliburton adds to your professional standing as it diversifies your experience set and is also a step toward your post-MBA career goals. Excellent reference letters will be de rigeur. You are correct that INSEAD prefers more "seasoned" applicants; therefore, the Sept 2014 intake [you wrote July 2014?] may be a better option, especially if you believe you will have even more impressive professional achievements by that point. If you are considering teaming up with a consultant and would like to talk to us, please visit the website and sign up for a free introductory consultation.

Best wishes,
Tyler
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Tyler,

Thanks for the quick reply. In GMAT more weight age is given to Verbal or Quant ? I had 790/800 in quant and 630/800 in verbal I guess because in GRE the verbal section is really tough. The only reason why I am not interested in giving GMAT is because my GRE score is not too bad + I would be busy with few other courses here.

I ll sign up for a consultation.

Cheers!
Director
Director
Status:My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Hi i want to know my chances for few good us universities..

10th- 49% (2003)
12th- 60% (2005)
Grad- Bachelor in commerce though distance learning from Tier1 university 43% (2009)
Grad repeated- Bachelor in commerce though distance learning from different Tier3 university 73% (2012)
Diploma in Aviation and hospitality from Edexel university (2010)
Diploma in Theater (2007)
Apart from this a lot of small certificates.

Work Exp- Small family garments business(small botique) So dont think adcom will consider it.
Want to do MBA in finance.

Have not taken Gmat but in mocks getting around 650- 680, i can improve a lot more and target 720.

So as per my profile which colleges should i target, i know my profile is not good neither i am targeting top 20 US Bschools. Kindly guide me.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello Prateek,

I'll send you a PM.

Best,
Tyler

prateekbhatt wrote:
Hi i want to know my chances for few good us universities..

10th- 49% (2003)
12th- 60% (2005)
Grad- Bachelor in commerce though distance learning from Tier1 university 43% (2009)
Grad repeated- Bachelor in commerce though distance learning from different Tier3 university 73% (2012)
Diploma in Aviation and hospitality from Edexel university (2010)
Diploma in Theater (2007)
Apart from this a lot of small certificates.

Work Exp- Small family garments business(small botique) So dont think adcom will consider it.
Want to do MBA in finance.

Have not taken Gmat but in mocks getting around 650- 680, i can improve a lot more and target 720.

So as per my profile which colleges should i target, i know my profile is not good neither i am targeting top 20 US Bschools. Kindly guide me.
Own Kudos [?]: 4053 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Hi Tyler,
Could you please provide me some detail information on the big Real Estate companies(names, what percentage they recruit etc.) in US,recruiting from top 20 b-Schools out there...?
What is the average package for these firms for fresh top 20 b-Schools grads in US?

What is the reasonable and expected salary growth 3-5 years down the line with these firms?

How do your see the growth prospects of these firms and career growth with them as compared to big Consultancy firms? (If comparable to any extent at all...)

Much appreciate your feedback on this.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello bagdbmba,

I am sorry but I don't have access to the data you are asking about. What I can tell you is that our MBA admissions clients who are in the real estate industry rank Wharton very high on their list. I believe Columbia and Stern also have solid recruiting relationships with the real estate (esp. real estate finance) industry. Cornell has the Baker Program, a master's program in real estate. The career placement offices at these schools might have the kind of information you are seeking. Good luck!

-Tyler
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V32
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Hi Tyler,

Can you please consider my profile and suggest the best fit for me? And also let me know whether I stand a chance applying to top 20?

Little bit about me.
GPA: 3.75-4.0 (Electronic Eng & Management - finished undergrad in UK with 1st Class Honours Degree - conversion of UK degree to GPA is unclear for me, however 3.75+ seems to do the trick according to various sources)
GMAT: taking in June, aiming for 680-720, which I guess is reasonable.

Work experience:

Originally I was enrolled in masters course at the Uni. However during the 4th year I was headhunted and offered with a opportunity to join a reasearch project for two years (EU funded) in Lithuania (where I am now) as researcher - switched my degree to B.Eng and graduated to take this position. As I would like to apply this fall for entry in 2014 Sept, so by the time of Uni start there will be 2 years.

Earlier: summer internship in open source software company in new business department - preparing case studies for clients, cold calls, CRM system management and implementation.

Extras (I apologize for random order):
- First reward for the best business pitch of the entrepreneurial program (raising business creativity)
- awarded with Class medal at the Uni for achiev.
- created + managing of two websites for a local company in my hometown
- at Uni part of squash and tennis club (still trying to play both as often as possible)

Community:
- elderly care (back in hometown) - i won't go into much details here since its quite personal
- still connected with my old high school - collecting necessary means for schooling at orphanage

Recommendations:
- current supervisor from Lithuania
- dean of the department at the Uni/Advisor/one of the Dr I was working with - depending on the number of applications.

As a goal I'd like to focus on management consulting.

On my own I was looking closely at Kelloggs, Haas, Duke, Booth perhaps.

Also If you could point me into the direction of the ways I could improve my profile by the time of application, it would be great.

Thank you for your time.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6