Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 01:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask MBA Prep School

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Prep School CEO & Co-Founder
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 0

Re: Ask MBA Prep School [#permalink] New post 16 May 2013, 09:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
debayan222 wrote:
Hi MBA Prep School Consultancy team,
Could you please provide any insights on what one should write/approach why one should get the scholarships in 2 year MBA program especially for US schools(top 15/20 )...?

Much appreciate your feedback on this.

Hello Debayan222,

MBA scholarships are typically awarded on a merit basis and business schools utilize scholarship money and fellowships to persuade exceptional candidates to accept the school's offer of admission. For many schools, there might not be a formal process to apply for MBA scholarship money. Instead, admissions boards make scholarship offers based on the quality of the applicant and his or her application. Therefore, my first tip is to ensure that your application is exceptional and that you have sent strong signals to the school that you are extremely motivated to attend their program. Scholarship money is scarce and admissions committees are more likely to offer scholarship money to students who have communicated that they are serious about attending their program. In certain cases, scholarship money is supplied by donors who want to support a particular kind of MBA candidate. For example, a donor may designate that his or her scholarship be granted to an MBA student with an engineering undergraduate degree. If so, admissions boards will review their list of accepted students and offer the scholarship to applicants who match those qualifying criteria.

A few business schools do have specific scholarship (or fellowship) essay questions. What one should write on these essays would depend on what question has been asked. Our admissions consultants provide editorial guidance on MBA scholarship essays to clients who have engaged our help on a comprehensive/school package basis. Last year, many of our clients had the good fortune of earning scholarship money.

Finally, I encourage you to reach out to each business school you are applying to by email or by phone to find out if they offer any additional avenues for seeking scholarship money. It is often the case that MBA schools expect applicants to pursue scholarship money proactively; so It never hurts to ask. I wish you the best of luck in earning some scholarship money to pay for your MBA.

Kind regards,
Tyler Cormney
MBAPrepSchool.com Co-Founder

Tyler Cormney
MBA Prep School

MBA Prep School provides you with power tools for building a winning MBA application. Our on-demand admissions consulting videos and application prep tools will increase your chances of being accepted by your dream school.

Take the first step toward your dream school -- for Free!: http://mbaprepschool.com
Read our eBook: http://mbaprepschool.com/ebook
For GMAT Club Discounts: http://gmatclub.com/blog/courses/mba-pr ... gmat-club/

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 87

Kudos [?]: 567 [0], given: 107

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Ask MBA Prep School - debayan222 question about real estate [#permalink] New post 18 May 2013, 05:20
Expert's post
MBAPrepSchoolTyler wrote:
Hello debayan222,

I am sorry but I don't have access to the data you are asking about. What I can tell you is that our MBA admissions clients who are in the real estate industry rank Wharton very high on their list. I believe Columbia and Stern also have solid recruiting relationships with the real estate (esp. real estate finance) industry. Cornell has the Baker Program, a master's program in real estate. The career placement offices at these schools might have the kind of information you are seeking. Good luck!

-Tyler

Hi Tyler,
Thank you for your reply...

It would have been really great if you could shed some deep insights on the Wharton/Cornell (I think they have also MBA program with RE focus) MBA with RE focus...

Much appreciate your feedback.

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 87

Kudos [?]: 567 [0], given: 107

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Ask MBA Prep School [#permalink] New post 26 May 2013, 10:07
Expert's post
debayan222 wrote:
Could you please provide any insights on what one should write/approach why one should get the scholarships in 2 year MBA program especially for US schools(top 15/20 )...?

Much appreciate your feedback on this.

Hello Debayan222,

MBA scholarships are typically awarded on a merit basis and business schools utilize scholarship money and fellowships to persuade exceptional candidates to accept the school's offer of admission. For many schools, there might not be a formal process to apply for MBA scholarship money. Instead, admissions boards make scholarship offers based on the quality of the applicant and his or her application. Therefore, my first tip is to ensure that your application is exceptional and that you have sent strong signals to the school that you are extremely motivated to attend their program. Scholarship money is scarce and admissions committees are more likely to offer scholarship money to students who have communicated that they are serious about attending their program. In certain cases, scholarship money is supplied by donors who want to support a particular kind of MBA candidate. For example, a donor may designate that his or her scholarship be granted to an MBA student with an engineering undergraduate degree. If so, admissions boards will review their list of accepted students and offer the scholarship to applicants who match those qualifying criteria.

A few business schools do have specific scholarship (or fellowship) essay questions. What one should write on these essays would depend on what question has been asked. Our admissions consultants provide editorial guidance on MBA scholarship essays to clients who have engaged our help on a comprehensive/school package basis. Last year, many of our clients had the good fortune of earning scholarship money.

Finally, I encourage you to reach out to each business school you are applying to by email or by phone to find out if they offer any additional avenues for seeking scholarship money. It is often the case that MBA schools expect applicants to pursue scholarship money proactively; so It never hurts to ask. I wish you the best of luck in earning some scholarship money to pay for your MBA.

Kind regards,
Tyler Cormney
MBAPrepSchool.com Co-Founder

Hey Tyler ,
Thanks a lot for your detail reply.Really appreciate it Sir... :) Kudos!

Yup! you're right ...not many schools offer need-based scholarships,it's mostly merit-based scholarships and for the latter it's really a strategic decision and as you've said- heavily depends on one's candidacy overall.So for this merit-based scholarships, most of the schools as you've mentioned,don't have any separate applications.In that case, applicants need to show their best strength through their essays only I guess.Is there any other way to showcase this...? Your thoughts on this please...!

My second question is-In general how the need based offers are determined..? Is it based on the personal assets of the candidate solely or that of his/her family or else?

Look forward to your reply Sir..!

P.S: It would be really helpful if you can let me know what are the schools specifically among top 20 that encourage this pro-activeness...? Or is it a general thing for any b-school?

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Expert Post
MBA Prep School CEO & Co-Founder
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask MBA Prep School [#permalink] New post 26 May 2013, 11:36
Expert's post
debayan222 wrote:
debayan222 wrote:

Hey Tyler ,
Thanks a lot for your detail reply.Really appreciate it Sir... :) Kudos!

Yup! you're right ...not many schools offer need-based scholarships,it's mostly merit-based scholarships and for the latter it's really a strategic decision and as you've said- heavily depends on one's candidacy overall.So for this merit-based scholarships, most of the schools as you've mentioned,don't have any separate applications.In that case, applicants need to show their best strength through their essays only I guess.Is there any other way to showcase this...? Your thoughts on this please...!

My second question is-In general how the need based offers are determined..? Is it based on the personal assets of the candidate solely or that of his/her family or else?

Look forward to your reply Sir..!

P.S: It would be really helpful if you can let me know what are the schools specifically among top 20 that encourage this pro-activeness...? Or is it a general thing for any b-school?

Hi Debayan,

First of all, thanks for the Kudos!

I could write a book on how to showcase your top strengths in the written MBA application and admissions interviews. In fact, I have. http://mbaprepschool.com/ebook/ 8-)

Regarding needs based offers, schools employ a financial aid application that asks several questions aimed at determining your need. There is a standard form used across schools but schools sometimes have additional forms and formulas that are specific to that school. Just about every school's web site will have a page or area devoted to their financial aid practices. For example: http://www.hbs.edu/mba/financial-aid/Pages/default.aspx

As for being proactive, that's really a general tip. Typically, after you've been accepted by a school you can write or call the admissions office to ask about scholarship opportunities. There are also websites that compile MBA scholarship information (though I can't say I have heard any rave reviews from my clients about these websites). Here is an example: http://www.mbascholarships101.com/

Cheers,
Tyler

Tyler Cormney
MBA Prep School

MBA Prep School provides you with power tools for building a winning MBA application. Our on-demand admissions consulting videos and application prep tools will increase your chances of being accepted by your dream school.

Take the first step toward your dream school -- for Free!: http://mbaprepschool.com
Read our eBook: http://mbaprepschool.com/ebook
For GMAT Club Discounts: http://gmatclub.com/blog/courses/mba-pr ... gmat-club/

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask MBA Prep School [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2013, 10:41
Hi Sir,

I would like you to evaluate my profile and guide me to the possible Schools I can apply to.

I scored 680 on the GMAT with Q49 & V34, AWA and IR scores awaited.

Academics -
Scored GPA of 7/10, B-Tech Electrical Engineering, VJTI Mumbai

Work Experience - 3.5yrs - Worked in Production Planning Department for 3yrs and Manufacturing Department for 6 months.

Responsibilities -
- Line In-charge - Ensuring team hits daily targets
- Lead a team of 240 technicians directly to achieve the targets
- Identify daily bottlenecks resolve them using Operational Problem Solving Techniques
- Department Representative for OHSAS and EMS (OHSAS 18000 & ISO 14001)
- Part of team for implementing Ergonomic Improvements in the plant (Safety Related Improvements)
- Responsible for Implementation of Team Based Working System in Defined area of the plant.
- Responsible for driving improvement initiatives for that part of plant - OTD / Safety / Quality / PRoductivity / Cost / Inventory
- Responsible for training of a GET for a year

Aspiration -

- Looking forward to getting an MBA done so that I can get a deeper understanding of business from financial perspective and club that with my operational experience.

Short Term Goal - Planning to work with a Consultancy to get deeper operational and financial experience
Long Term Goal - Eventually planning to start up my own business

- Looking forward to do an MBA in General MAnagement or Operations from Singapore (NUS / NTU / INSEAD) or India (ISB / SPJAIN)
- Open to doing MBA from US

Extra Curricular Activities -

- Participated in CSR Activities done by the company, besides that I do not have any significant extra curricular activity involvement that can be shown.

Also, I had to leave my job in March 2013 due to health issue of my Dad so I have been out of work for around 3 months as of now. Can this have a serious impact on my profile?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask MBA Prep School [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2013, 04:43
hello,

i would like you to guide me on which b schools i can apply with the following credentials:

good academic background
Biotech engineer
2.5 yrs work ex with Infosys in technology as well as consultancy work.
1.5 yr ex in sales & operations in family-owned manufacturing buisness
Extra curricular in college: Dramatics, Tech ppt etc.
2 yrs with Toastmasters International ( in executive committee as well as several other events)
NGO- weekend teaching
GMAT score 620 ( first attempt) 610( second attempt)

Looking forward to an MBA in general management. second preference would be Marketing & entrepreneurship.
I m looking for options globally including US , Canada Singapore, Europe etc.

My GMAT score is low, but i dont have much time to go for 3rd attempt also. I have heard that certain college encourage women with entrepreneur work ex with little low score also.. is it right?

Right now m looking at USC Marshall, Simon, Schulich, NTU...

please guide me .
Re: Ask MBA Prep School   [#permalink] 20 Dec 2013, 04:43