Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 06:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask Mendoza (University of Notre Dame) MBA Admissions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 13

Re: Ask Mendoza (University of Notre Dame) MBA Admissions [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 10:17
Hi Andrew,

I am interested in applying to Mendoza School of Business in the forthcoming round 3 which ends on Feb 25, 2013.

A little background about myself: I am from India, i am management accountant with a work experience of 6 years:-4.5 years in manufacturing and 1.5 years in investment banking.

I had a few queries:
1) Do applications in R3 have chance of being accepted.
2) I would also like to apply for financial aid/scholarship, so is there a final deadline for applications for financial aid and are are applications in Round 3 eligible for the financial aid.
3) What concentration track is Mendoza strong in, Business analytics,corporate finance,consulting,investments, marketing etc? What industry segments dominate the final placement for students graduating from Mendoza.
4) Is TOEFL compulsory for international students, i was given to understand that TOEFL requirement can be waived off if the undergrad or professional degree education has been in English.

Thanks and warm regards,
nk9285
Official Business School Representative
Schools: Mendoza '16
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Ask Mendoza (University of Notre Dame) MBA Admissions [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 08:22
Hello @nk9285 - thanks for the question.

Sorry for the delay in responding. It's been a busy few days around the MBA office.

In terms of timing, we admit students from all our various application rounds. And we assess files the same way in each round as well. You can review the evaluation criteria here:

http://business.nd.edu/mba/admissions_a ... ncial_aid/

The timing of your application isn't nearly as important as making sure that you are submitting the strongest app you can. If that requires you to wait another round to get some things done, then that's what you should do.

With regard to fellowships specifically, it's much the same. We have awarded merit-based fellowships in every round since I have been part of MBA admissions. So timing isn't that important, but again the strength of your application is. Our fellowships are all merit-based and the primary criteria are GMAT/GRE, GPA and length & quality of work experience. So if you need more time to improve those items, then I would advise you do that.

With regard to TOEFL scores, you basically stated the rule. If you can submit a transcript or letter from your university registrar that states that the medium of instruction in your undergraduate institution was English, then we can waive the requirement. Please keep in mind that we don't issue some sort of formal waiver notice. We just allow your file to proceed to Committee without a language test score. Hope that makes sense.

Regarding your question about concentrations, I would say that all our concentrations are strong!

In truth, it's all a matter of perspective. If you look strictly at the number of students in each track then Corporate Finance is definitely our largest concentration track. Nearly 1/3rd of all our students are in this track in a typical year.

But I wouldn't say that this the number of students in a given track is necessarily an indicator of strength. We have a fantastic entrepreneurship program that our students love, but if you look at the numbers of students who formally declare that as a concentration track it is very low.

Gigot Center for Entrepreneurial Studies - http://business.nd.edu/gigot_center/

I think if there is something we are known for it is the way we integrate ethics, corporate social responsibility and sustainability topics into *all* of our courses across the various disciplines. To the heart of your question, I would say that ethics integration is ultimately what we are "strong in."

That being said, I don't think the choice of concentration track really matters all that much in a program like ours. Our curriculum is so flexible that most students end up completing the requirements for two concentration tracks. And so there is a lot of crossover.

Also, there is not always a connection between what people declare as their concentration and where they go from a placement standpoint. Speaking for myself personally, I spent a lot of credit hours on marketing but took a consulting job when I graduated. That's not uncommon.

In the end, getting an MBA isn't about being a mile deep in a particular area. It's about being a mile wide across the various disciplines and understanding how various functions integrate and connect together to generate business results. I think we do a good job of that "cross pollination" for our students and I would encourage you to reach out to them to confirm this using the links below:

MBA Student Blogs - http://business.nd.edu/MBA/Student_Life/Student_Blogs/

Contact A Student - http://webapp.business.nd.edu/mba/get_i ... a_student/

Finally, you had asked about placements. This changes from year to year but you can review the most recent numbers here:

http://webapp.business.nd.edu/mba/your_ ... tatistics/

As you can see, percentage-wise we do best in financial services industry but we also have 20% of our class going into consulting. Beyond those two stalwarts, it's pretty diverse. I would remind you that we only graduate 200-ish students a year and so these percentages can fluctuate significantly from year to year if just a dozen or so people in a class change direction. So don't read too much into the percentage in any one category, especially with the smaller numbers.

The thing we always stress to students is that where they end up is up to them, not us. If you come to Notre Dame with a gameplan and a work ethic, you can get a lot done. We surround the students with a lot of support & personal attention - from career coaches, to a career development curriculum, to academic advisers and much more. We try to expose them to as many opportunities as we can to meet great companies and alums and we try to give them every opportunity to work on the career skills that will help them land the job they want - interviewing, networking, resume writing, etc. But ultimately it's up to them to make it all happen. The results you see reflected in that link are a direct result of all their hard work.

Hope this answers all your questions. Let me know if I can do anything else for you. Have a great weekend!

Andrew

Andrew J. Sama
Sr. Assoc. Director, MBA Admissions
University of Notre Dame
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 13

Re: Ask Mendoza (University of Notre Dame) MBA Admissions [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 10:12
Hi Andrew,

Thank you very much for the information.

Have a great weekend ahead!

warm regards,

nk9285
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Inquiry regarding interview calls for Rd-2 [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2013, 23:04
Thanks Andrew for being so active here! I must say your posts are very informative!

I have applied for Notre Dame Full-time MBA in Rd-2 by 9th Jan 2013. I have not received any interview invite yet. While I assume the interview invites and admission confirmation will be over by Feb-end, may i know the date till when Rd-2 applicant can still be hopeful for an interview invite please? Thanks!
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.19

Re: Ask Mendoza (University of Notre Dame) MBA Admissions [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 12:32
hi andrew, how important are gmat/gre scores in the admissions process? i know most schools take a holistic approach to admitting candidates, but if i have a gre score of around 570 (gmat equivalent) should i even bother applying to mendoza? i have taken the test multiple times and have not been able to score above that due to a weakness in standardized testing. any help would be helpful. thanks!

Re: Ask Mendoza (University of Notre Dame) MBA Admissions [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 13:15
Hi @mbadreamers - thanks for the question.

Academic aptitude is important in a program where most of the classes are only seven weeks long. The aggressive pace means you need to be able to balance a lot of different things at once and integrate new concepts and learnings very quickly. GMAT and GRE scores are one way we measure academic aptitude but the Committee also looks at undergraduate GPA and a strong transcript as good indicators of academic aptitude as well.

So if you struggle with test scores, it will be important to show academic aptitude in another way.

Ultimately your test score is not the only component by which you're judged. The Committee will look at your entire application package including recommendations, essays, etc. You can get a complete breakdown of everything we look for at this link:

http://business.nd.edu/MBA/Admissions_a ... ncial_Aid/

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Andrew
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.19

Re: Ask Mendoza (University of Notre Dame) MBA Admissions [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 14:51
NotreDameMBA wrote:
Hi @mbadreamers - thanks for the question.

Academic aptitude is important in a program where most of the classes are only seven weeks long. The aggressive pace means you need to be able to balance a lot of different things at once and integrate new concepts and learnings very quickly. GMAT and GRE scores are one way we measure academic aptitude but the Committee also looks at undergraduate GPA and a strong transcript as good indicators of academic aptitude as well.

So if you struggle with test scores, it will be important to show academic aptitude in another way.

Ultimately your test score is not the only component by which you're judged. The Committee will look at your entire application package including recommendations, essays, etc. You can get a complete breakdown of everything we look for at this link:

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Andrew

thank you for the response! this is helpful

Re: Ask Mendoza (University of Notre Dame) MBA Admissions [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 05:20
Quick reminder to everyone that our Round 3 deadline is coming up on Feb 25th.

If you have any questions you can post them here or contact our office.

Get the details on the timing of everything here:

http://business.nd.edu/MBA/Admissions_a ... Deadlines/

Start an app here:

https://applymba.nd.edu/

Have a great weekend and Go Irish!

Re: Ask Mendoza (University of Notre Dame) MBA Admissions [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2013, 13:48
Thanks to all those who applied in Early Decision and Round 1 so far this year! We're ramping up our efforts to bring in a top notch new class and want to open this forum back up to answer any questions you might have about the Notre Dame MBA for the 2013-2014 application season. Good luck to everyone and I look forward to speaking with you!

P.S. If you're interested in applying, visit http://www.mba.nd.edu.

Neil Mangus
Associate Director
Notre Dame (Mendoza) MBA Admissions
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Web Design (Consumer Electronics)

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 13

Re: Ask Mendoza (University of Notre Dame) MBA Admissions [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2014, 03:45
Hi Andrew,
I am applying for the March 2014 deadline and was wondering if we need to submit official transcripts of the undergrad for the application process ?

Re: Ask Mendoza (University of Notre Dame) MBA Admissions [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2014, 14:30
daksha17 wrote:
Hi Andrew,
I am applying for the March 2014 deadline and was wondering if we need to submit official transcripts of the undergrad for the application process ?

Hi Daksha,

As long as you submit your application electronically by March 3rd, we will work with you after that date to complete and finalize all of your materials. Specifically, for you, an unofficial transcript will work for the March 3rd application deadline, but we would simply need the official transcript by Mid-April, as that's when we begin finalizing decisions for Round 3 - we require the official transcript prior to making final decisions and confirming admission into our program.

I hope this helps and best of luck to you!

Notre Dame MBA Admissions
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V39
GMAT 2: Q0 V0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Mendoza (University of Notre Dame) MBA Admissions [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2014, 15:00
Hi Andrew,

I applied for the Full-Time MBA program in round 1 & I am still on the waiting list after my interview. As per the latest communication that I received from the college, I would get an update on my status on around 28th April. Since I have also been admitted by a couple of other colleges, where the initial deposit deadline date is a around a week earlier than 28th, could I request the admissions committee to provide a decision on my application a little earlier?

Re: Ask Mendoza (University of Notre Dame) MBA Admissions [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2014, 08:38
Sure thing. Requests can me made by emailing mba.business@nd.edu and including your request and the date by which you'd like to have your decision.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: Ask Mendoza (University of Notre Dame) MBA Admissions   [#permalink] 05 Mar 2014, 08:38