Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 06:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask PAUL BODINE, 'Great Apps for Business School'

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Ask PAUL BODINE, 'Great Apps for Business School' [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 08:42
Curious what your chances of admission are at your dream business schools? Post your profile and questions here and I'll give a 'no BS' answer based on my 13 years of admissions consulting experience.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

SVP
SVP

Re: Ask PAUL BODINE, 'Great Apps for Business School' [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 08:49
This just in: Data from a survey of 327 business schools worldwide by the Graduate Management Admission Council conducted this past June and July show a 1.8% decline in full-time MBA program application volume versus 2009. This trend is matched in GMAC’s year-to-date trends in GMAT test-taking volume.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Ask PAUL BODINE, 'Great Apps for Business School' [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 10:09

Last edited by jordanhendrix on 15 Sep 2010, 07:11, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Re: Ask PAUL BODINE, 'Great Apps for Business School' [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 15:28
Hi,
I have a GMAT score of 660 (M 49, V31) and AWA Score of 5.5. Responsibilities taken as a Backup Project Lead, Security Offcer & Risk Officer for the project. Have 3 years of work experience in a reputerd Information Technology firm in India.
Awarded 3 times Best Performer Award, Award for major client appreciation and part of team that won Best Team award.
GPA of 3.0/4.0. Participated in technical sessions held at different colleges and member of one committee to organize national level event.

I intend to apply to Asian Universities & I intend to remain with IT firm but as a Business Development Manager.
Can you please evaluate and let me know probable universities in which I can get admission?

Kind Regards,
Abhas.
SVP
SVP

Re: Ask PAUL BODINE, 'Great Apps for Business School' [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 17:35
jordanhendrix wrote:
Hi there, just got my GMAT score and am now ready to start narrowing down my school list.
Any help in focusing the choices would be greatly appreciated.

Age at matriculation: 28
Years of work experience: 6
3 years managing a small business (20 employees)
1.5 years 2 full time internships and then a paying job in the entertainment industry (its the lay of the land, everyone works for free at first)
one year so far at a real estate development/investment company, great experience but its family owned.

GPA: 2.75 biology at top 100. grad 2006
Gmat 720 (Q49, V39)

Alternative Transcript: at CC
Business Statistics
Microecon
Securities investment
Financial Management

All A's

I would like to go into consulting.
I can rock the essays and will have great recommenders who are former supervisors.

What are my chances at:
Booth,
Ross
Fuqua, ED
CMU
UNC
G-town

Possible safeties:
Emory

Does EA at DUKE increase my chances at all?

JordanHendrix,

Your industry experience is a bit off the beaten path, which will help you stand out. Your GMAT and alternate transcript greatly offset the GPA. I like the leadership in the small business but can't tell whether that was early or recent; if early then they'll want recent leadership too. You didn't mention leadership outside of work. If there isn't any that hurts. Assuming solid extracurricular and work leadership, you have a possible (semi-reach) chance at Booth, a better chance at Ross, and will be competitive at Duke, UNC, and CMU. G'town and Emory may be in the safety zone. Yes, Duke's EA round increases your admissions odds from 22 to 36%. Feel free to email your resume to me at paulbodine@yahoo.com.

Paul Bodine /

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 12

Re: Ask PAUL BODINE, 'Great Apps for Business School' [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 02:45
I appreciate if you can review my profile and advise on my chances in getting admitted to top 10-30 ranked MBA programs.

Nationality: Lebanese

Languages: Arabic, English, Armenian

Background: Electrical Engineer

Degree:
Bachelor in Electrical Engineering from Beirut Arab University
Grades: 67/100, 69/100, 70/100, 76/100 85/100. (85/100 is the fifth year grade)
Masters in Electrical Engineering from American University of Beirut
Average: 87/100 (two years program)

Experience: 5 Years
1 year as electrical design engineer in a leading Engineering Consultancy Firm in the Middle East in Beirut.
2 years as project engineer in a Multinational Company.
2 years as a design department in a Local Company in Beirut that deals with smart home automation

I haven’t yet researched a lot but currently I am considering the following MBA programs:
Spain: IE Business School, ESADE Business School
UK: London Business School, Oxford Said Business School, Cambridge Judge Business School, Manchester Business School)
USA: HAAS UC Berkley, Northwestern University: Kellogg, Cornell University: Johnson

Can you please also advise what other universities I should consider?
Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Jack
SVP
SVP

Re: Ask PAUL BODINE, 'Great Apps for Business School' [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 08:16
Jack,

Your Lebanese background will be a big asset to you, by helping you stand out from other applicants. Your age is fine for European schools but is a minor concern for U.S. schools (you'll just need to explain the 'why now' question effectively). It's not clear how much leadership, formal or informal, you have at work and you didn't mention leadership outside of work so it's difficult to evaluate your strength in the all-important leadership area. Finally, to suggest some schools I would need to know your expected GMAT score and what your post-MBA goals are.

Paul Bodine /

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 12

Re: Ask PAUL BODINE, 'Great Apps for Business School' [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 09:49
pbodine wrote:
Jack,

Your Lebanese background will be a big asset to you, by helping you stand out from other applicants. Your age is fine for European schools but is a minor concern for U.S. schools (you'll just need to explain the 'why now' question effectively). It's not clear how much leadership, formal or informal, you have at work and you didn't mention leadership outside of work so it's difficult to evaluate your strength in the all-important leadership area. Finally, to suggest some schools I would need to know your expected GMAT score and what your post-MBA goals are.

jakolik wrote:
Paul, Thank you for your feedback...
I know age will be a minor drawback. Let's hope I come up with something real and smart to flip the disadvantage into an advantage.
Unfortunately, I have no leadership outside work. Yep, this is another drawback. However, when I moved into my current position, I successfully built a new department (from scratch) and I am currently heading it. The department consists of 4 employees including me.

As for the GMAT, my target is 700- / 700+.
What do you think of my standing now?

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask PAUL BODINE, 'Great Apps for Business School' [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 19:17
VERY nice and informative thread
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 26

Re: Ask PAUL BODINE, 'Great Apps for Business School' [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 20:52

kudos if you like me (or my post) :P

Last edited by adalfu on 11 Oct 2010, 10:49, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Schools: UCLA, Berkeley, Stanford
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Ask PAUL BODINE, 'Great Apps for Business School' [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 08:19
Hello Paul, Great thread and thanks for the quick reviews! If you're offer is still valid I have a few questions.

Stanford GSB, R1 contemplating dual degree in MBA/Sustainable Design Construction
GMAT: 640 (~54, 83) not par with my studies, retaking, expect ~700 (~68,85)
References: good to strong
Age at matriculation: 27
Education: Architecture, 3.8GPA, graduated in 3.5 yrs. top 100 school, top 50 public school
Work experience: 4.5 (currently unemployed due to economy, still have good rapport)
Industry: Construction Management - contracts, communication, scheduling, material & trades coordination, quality control, costs and estimating.

Professional organizations / volunteering

Young Professionals - construction 2007-Present (council 2008-2011)
  • 2008/2009 co-developed strong and replicable professional development program.
  • 2010 chair: implemented bylaws, longterm goals, stronger democracy, stronger committees. Focused on greater accountability and stronger networking between the related industries. Council of 11 volunteers is awesome and now go above and beyond
    American Institute of Architects - 2008-present:
  • Fund-raising gala board: design & create arrangements for 3 annual galas
  • Liaison with botanical gardens biannual project: entering 3rd round now
  • CANstruction competition 2006-present (captain 2007/8): team creates structures out of canned food which is then donated to the food bank
    And more
Post degree career: work with cities & states reclaim underutilized and forgotten parts of their cities, create incentive for residents to believe in their cities. Rehabilitate built environment through greater accountability and more efficient practices. Public private partnerships, consultant / designer.

I'm only applying to Stanford. I know it's a plus that I'm from a "non-standard" MBA industry but is that enough to make me stand out? What about my marginal GMAT? Is it OK that I'm unemployed?

On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero. -Fight Club

Re: Ask PAUL BODINE, 'Great Apps for Business School'   [#permalink] 14 Sep 2010, 08:19