Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 04 May 2015, 09:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask Personal MBA Coach

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton grad - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Overall Client Admit Rate: 94%
GMAT 1: 740 Q V
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 2

Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2013, 15:29
Expert's post
Thanks for the post and apologies for the delay. I usually respond within a few hours. Your profile was complete so that was very helpful. Here are some initial thoughts. If you would like to discuss this further, please reach out to me. I have worked with folks who had a similar background to yours and could discuss some options for you.

Overall: Very ambitious schools that I would not apply to in round 3. Round 3 isn't recommended for anyone really, so I strongly recommend round 2 if you want to apply. Given your GPA, you are a bit behind there, though GMAT could make up for it depending on how good you do, though a 700 would also put you below average but not by much. I am intrigued to hear more about your startup as that could certainly help your candidacy at these schools. Please reach out privately if you'd rather not publicize it here and we could discuss more. Overall that is a good list, though depending on the startup and how successful it is, I may recommend adding some options and doing a bit of substitution to increase your odds.

If you are seeking additional support, please reach out. Best of luck.

Scott Edinburgh
Personal MBA Coach
scott@personalmbacoach.com
www.personalmbacoach.com

Last edited by PersonalMBACoach on 15 Nov 2014, 12:49, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton grad - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008

Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2014, 21:13
Expert's post
Advice and Tips: What to do if you have too many recommenders to choose from?

I recently had a discussion with one of my clients about his recommendation strategy because he faced some tough decisions. Like many of you, he had multiple people he could ask for a recommendation and did not know where to choose. Summarizing our conversation, here are a few things to consider when deciding who to ask.

1. You don't have to ask the same people for all schools: While this may seem obvious, you can ask different people for different schools. Asking someone very familiar with Columbia Business School (an Alum, NYC executive, etc) may make sense for CBS, while they may not be the best person for Stanford if you know someone out west who is better connected. Also, since these take a lot of time, you will be doing folks a favor if you ask for 2-3 schools instead of 4-5.

2. Don't ask the highest person in your company: The MOST important thing about a recommendation if the quality of what they write. You are much better off asking a mid-level executive for a rec if s/he will write an amazing, kick-ass letter instead of the President who may not know you as well and thus may be less confident writing something so great.

3. Ask them how strong of a letter they feel they could write: This may seem weird, but hearing the response will tell you something. If they think you are stupid for asking since they would blow people away with their letter, that tells you something different than if you get a lukewarm response.

4. Make sure they know how to write!! Writing these letters is tough, especially for people who are used to writing business proposals all day. Don't be afraid to coach them if you feel necessary.

5. Ask far ahead of time: If you have not asked for R2 yet, start now! I am sure your boss is busy so the more time the better

6. Give them some info about you: I always tell my clients to prepare a packet for their recommenders to remind them of your accomplishments, the reasons you are pursuing an MBA, and a theme for their recommendation. Ideally each letter focuses on something slightly different about your candidacy so the school sees a complete picture after reading all of them.

Scott Edinburgh
Personal MBA Coach
www.personalmbacoach.com

Last edited by PersonalMBACoach on 15 Nov 2014, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Admission Consultant

Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2014, 19:43
Expert's post
Not a bad idea in some respects, business school that lasts forever! Certainly worth the read

http://tinyurl.com/mhftrcg

Scott Edinburgh
Personal MBA Coach
www.personalmbacoach.com

Expert Post
Admission Consultant

Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2014, 13:21
Expert's post
For anybody from Texas, don't forget about MIT Sloan's scholarships this year...

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... for-texans

If you want to find out how hard it is to get support, send me a note. Its not as hard as you may think.

Scott Edinburgh
Personal MBA Coach
www.personalmbacoach.com

Expert Post
Admission Consultant

Re: Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2014, 12:34
Expert's post
The latest business school ranking...not surprising for the most part, though notice the European schools creeping up in the rankings. Take each ranking with a grain of salt. You won't often see LSE, LBS and Oxford all in the top 15.

http://www.businessinsider.com/top-25-b ... rld-2014-7

Scott Edinburgh
Personal MBA Coach
www.personalmbacoach.com

Expert Post
Admission Consultant

Re: Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2014, 20:48
Expert's post
Want to lead business in China? Don't think you necessarily need a H/S/W degree to do so. Stay in China and network with other local business leaders. I only recommend this if you are certain you want to make your career in China, otherwise a more globally recognized program is probably a better fit for you.

http://www.businessbecause.com/news/mba ... ess-school

Scott Edinburgh
Personal MBA Coach
www.personalmbacoach.com

Expert Post
Admission Consultant

Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2014, 09:36
Expert's post
I have been getting a lot of questions lately from folks early in their careers...good for you! Its nice to plan ahead as truly most people do not and its hard to turn back the clock on some parts of your application (though we can do a lot!).

These questions often center around whether certain jobs will get them into HBS/Stanford/Wharton. I can definitely give you advice on which career moves will improve your chances of getting in as I regularly do career coaching like this. That said, I urge you to consider your job as only one part of your entire application. While it is one of the most important parts, don't forget about over performing at the job (salary raises do matter!) and getting great reviews. I have seen too many folks from top firms who think they don't need extra currics or large raises because of the brand names on their resume. Don't be fooled, great feeder companies help a lot, but you have to carry yourself over the finish line. After all, you are likely in a class of 15-30 consultants trying to get the same spots at the top B schools and while the best companies send the most people, you all won't get in, despite coming from a top firm.

For those who don't work at top companies, there are plenty of opportunities for you to stand out from the crowd and strategically finding those opportunities early in your career will make the application process that much smoother. Go for the challenging role/project. If you fail, it makes good essay material!

Have questions about what roles to take / not take? Send me an email.

-Scott Edinburgh

Scott Edinburgh
Personal MBA Coach
www.personalmbacoach.com

Expert Post
Admission Consultant

Re: Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2014, 12:53
Expert's post
Have you seen the latest business school rankings? At the end of the day, there are many different rankings which will continue to change. Is this really important? It depends on your situation. If you have a good chance of getting into a H/S/W and you feel confident you can do well there and hold your own during recruiting among well qualified classmates, then there is no reason to think you are somehow making a bad choice by picking among H/S/W. This segment of the population (meaning folks who follow B school forums, read rankings articles, etc) is very small. From a career standpoint, if you interview for a job with someone who is 10+ years out of B school, most likely s/he is not following any ranking changes and thus may have a "historic prestige" ranking in their head. These historic rankings take a while to change, and while they are changing for some schools, it takes time. H/S/W students of course have nothing to worry about.

That said, for folks who do not get into one of those top three, it is important to think about what is the most important aspect of the B school experience for you. Are you looking for the best job right out of school, the most rigorous learning environment, or the best "name on your resume" for the future? You may not get all of those, so you may want to prioritize. For instance, I have been pushing Yale SOM with some clients for many years. While certainly not as prestigious as a top tier school, SOM is a great option for someone who doesn't have the profile to get into the upper echelon. Why? A few reasons, but just to name one to keep this from being too long....SOM is newer and rising in some rankings, thus employment opportunities are quite good for some sectors. For instance, all of the top consulting firms recruit from SOM and the competition is much more manageable than at H/S/W. I have seen many former clients land great post-MBA jobs that frankly they may not have been able to coming from a tier 1 school.

The most relevant part of the ranking that I would pay attention to is job placement. You already know how the longer term prestige will play out (not counting the fact that some schools will indeed rise over time), but you can have more immediate control over your career if you pick a program that sends a lot of folks into the sectors you are interested in, especially if you find a program where you can rise to the top. To be clear, I am not advocating giving up a top tier school for recruiting options, I am merely suggesting for some folks who cannot get into a top program, finding rising programs can make a difference in landing that dream job post-MBA.

I don't mention anything about the academic experience differences. I'll leave that for another post. Check out this article below which discusses the different rankings and what truly matters.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mattsymonds ... -rankings/

Scott Edinburgh
Personal MBA Coach
www.personalmbacoach.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2014, 08:28
Hi there PMC,

I am putting my stats over here with slight changes in my plan( hope you would be patient enough..Smile) for an evaluation from your side for the range of schools both in US and UK where I may be competitive. My targets are top 10 in the US and top 5 in the UK. However I would like you to guide me in choosing the appropriate " realistic schools" and if possible advise on the mitigating factors for attaining so.

Also I would like to point out that I have just started working so you could probably evaluate without the work ex part although rest assured I am trying mighty hard to put my work ex at credible standings.

As you can see below there is a rough 1.5 year gap after my graduation although this time was used pursue something which would help me with respect to finance field.

Long Term goal: To start my own firm in Financial services either in Dubai or in India

My Brief Stats are as follows:

UG: Btech NIT Calicut( Tier 2 Engineering College India ), GPA: 6.95/10, Highest GPA was 8.8/10, Class rank: 17/42, No of Distinctions in class( GPA 8 and above): 8

GMAT, GRE: Yet to give I am contemplating something around 700 or 720.

Actually my story goes as follows..

Before entering college I had to drop a year during my 11th grade because my dad got a transfer to a different part of the country & after completing my 12th grade I again took a year off for the purpose of coaching myself for the prestigious IITJEE exam.Thus as you can seen I was about 20 years old when I entered college.

I graduated from a tier 2 Engineering college in India ( NIT), however I had serious health issues during my first year of college and hence i couldn't attend classes for half of the semester..( I received 6 F grades because of this..).My dad who happens to be a doctor of course treated me, hence I can provide some reasoning for this in my Essays as well as in some recommendation letters from some of my professors who know me quite well. Towards the end of my college I had began to do a bit of financial modelling and with sufficient interest I had taken up my final year thesis with a professor of my college for a financial modelling and optimization project.

I became interested in this field and again took up another 2 finance project under the same professor, all based on higher degrees of financial modelling and optmization ( He is now an Assistant Professor at IIM Indore). Since I needed time to put myself into this track I had to devote near to around 8 months solely for making out these thesis and subsequently publishing them into an International Finance Journal. These 3 projects have now been published.. Very Happy I have plans also to present them in a national or an international conference.

After 8 months of research in finance i decided to spend some time in doing social cause work and for around another 7 months was actively working for 3 to 4 NGOs( 1 international and the rest having offices abroad) in the field of Child rights, Environment protection etc..helping them with fundraising and campaigning. I was also subsequently offered to become a campus ambassador for a micro finance NGO in helping them find investors for the firms operations.( I am presently doing this apart from my full time work.

Most of the NGO work had specific outputs such has raising huge funds, roping in large no of investors, raising awareness on child rights to a larger section of the society etc.

Also the entire episode with the NGO's helped me realize and attain interpersonal skills such as pitching, managing investors etc.. which i am sure has incorporated itself into my work skills.

Thus after 1.5 years after graduation I joined for a job in Dubai at a reputed I bank.

Along the way I have taken CFA level 1 and 2 and FRM level 1 and 2 as well. Also I am planning to take up GRE Math ( apart from GMAT) as well some UC Berkeley extension courses to help rectify my academics.

Can you tell me whether I can make a shot to the top 10 schools with this profile or what steps are required for the same.

Hope you can help me out.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admission Consultant

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 2

Re: Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2014, 22:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Thank you for the detailed post. While it is nice that you have been taking steps to improve your profile, your academic performance will hurt you when going for a top 10 school. You mentioned that you received the F's early on in your studies, did your GPA have a significant and consistent improvement over the years? This will make a difference, especially if the poor grades can be explained away due to health reasons.

As a quick evaluation, the top 10 US and top 5 UK would be stretches for you and in order to be competitive you would certainly want a GMAT in the mid 700s or low 700s as a worst case. Given your academic performance, delayed start of schooling and poor grades in the initial years, you need to score above the average for schools you are applying to. When I mention average, I am also considering the average for an Indian Male, which is higher than the school's average. This higher score will mitigate some of the academic performance on record.

In addition, you want to continue to find leadership opportunities at work and ensure you are receiving promotions and raises ideally faster and larger than your peers. How many years of work experience do you have? It will be important to explain your story clearly given the different choices you have made along the way.

Let me know more details about your work experience (including titles), the academic question I posed above, in addition to when you are thinking of applying. I can then discuss specific schools that I would recommend you applying to.

Thank you and good luck!

Scott Edinburgh
Personal MBA Coach
www.personalmbacoach.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2014, 23:06
Thank you very much Scott for your evaluation and inputs. :)

In fact my college performance was only bad( meaning F's) during the first year. My CGPA( GPA) at the end of each semester went onto look something like this on a scale of 10.

1st semester-----------------------> 5.89 ( 1 F grade)-->( onset of condition)
2nd semester & summer term--> 4.56 ( 6 F grade)-->( didn't have enough of time to study due to my medical condition diagnosed towards the end)
3rd semester-----------------------> 5.87 ---
4th semester-----------------------> 6.01 |
5th semester----------------------->7.26 |
6th semester------------------------>7.48 |-------> The rest of the year performance is gauged on my first year performance
7th semester------------------------>6.78 |
8th semester------------------------> 6.95-----

My professors felt sorry for my condition although they had to stick with the protocols.( 1st year performance is taken as a benchmark in evaluating the rest of the years)

My maths grades were always either a C or D grade( S-10,A-9, B-8, C-7, D-6,E-5, F -fail) and throughout the rest of the years I had a couple of E grades here and there.

Some of my professors even recommended me to take up a masters level course in finance or econ to patch up the low GPA and F grades..

I have just started working as a credit analyst....I had this plan quite a while back so I am trying to start a little early to overcome my short comings.. I am planning to apply once I have near about 4 years of experience and after successfully starting up my business venture in Financial services. I would be happy to share with you more info on my work back ground as soon as I have some experience under my belt.

Also another thing I wanted to know is whether our high school marks( 10th and 12th in India) is taken into consideration.. I have seldom heard people talking about this... but just wanted your inputs on this.( you mentioned late schooling will have an impact.. do the adcoms look into our pre college stats as well.)

Coming to my GMAT I am contemplating something in the 710 or 720 range( but cant be emphatically sure).. Along with this I am planning to take up some UC Berkeley courses and if possible the GRE Math as well to bring in more mitigation.

Which schools do you think I should target...?
Expert Post
Admission Consultant

Re: Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2014, 09:32
Expert's post
Thank you for the detailed info. I've responded to your PM and can discuss the schools in more detail there, which will be easier for you to keep track of for the future rather than coming back to this blog.

Scott Edinburgh
Personal MBA Coach
www.personalmbacoach.com

Expert Post
Admission Consultant

Re: Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2014, 12:44
Expert's post
Advice and Tips: Interview Preparation

While much of the R1 interviewing has concluded, for those still preparing and for those thinking ahead to R2 interviews....

1) Customize your approach for each school: While this seems obvious, not everyone spends enough time doing this. Every school's interview process is different and every school is looking for something slightly different from each candidate. Some schools give you a blind interview, where the interviewer does not know all of the details of your application while other interviews are specifically tailored to your application and they know everything inside and out. (HBS) In these interviews, it is important to have answers for everything you have done along the way and be able to drill down into the reasoning. Also, some schools like to hear why you are a great match for them and others would rather hear about your experiences.

2) On-campus or off-campus?: You will also need to consider whether you will go to campus for an interview (some schools only have this as an option) or whether you will do an alumni interview. Depending on your profile and interview style, each has its advantages and disadvantages. The alumni interviews require a slightly different strategy and if approached well, can help your application more than going on campus. That said, if you live nearby the school it is not a bad idea to go on campus. Not only will it show some interest, but it will allow you to feel closer to the school and deliver better answers.

3) Don't over think the interview: Remember that while this 30-60 minutes will have a large impact on your admission, at the same time the schools just want to get to know you and make sure what they see in person matches what they saw in the application. Also keep in mind that the interview does not carry an equal weight for all schools. The fewer people they bring in to interview, the better your chances are of getting in of course. For some schools the interview is much more of a check-the-box than others.

Good luck!

Contact me if you would like to discuss interview preparation in more detail. scott@personalmbacoach.com

Scott Edinburgh
Personal MBA Coach
www.personalmbacoach.com

Re: Ask Personal MBA Coach   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2014, 12:44

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 53 posts ]