Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 497
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Manick9 wrote:
Hi Scott!
Pls valuate my profile.

Nationality: Singaporean
GPA: 2.8 (3.5/5)
GMAT: Currently getting 550 on practice tests, shooting for 700+. Planning to take my first GMAT ard Dec'16.

WE: 2 Yrs Police Force, 8mths SW Development at a German Automotive Company, 6mths Accounts Asst at a Canadian Company.
I am completing my Bachelors of Eng (EEE) in 2018 from NTU Singapore.

Languages: English & Tamil
Spanish & German Lvl 1

Undergrad:
Student Exchange at Georgia Tech for 6mths.
Member of some student clubs.

MBA Plans:
Trying to get into a top University in USA after my undergrad. Could you suggest some schools for me?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Thank you for the detailed post. I have a few questions before I can recommend some schools. Did you work after high school before going to study for your bachelors? Or have you been working and studying at the same time? It would be great to see what you have done each year since age 18 just to clarify. It sounds like there is a bit of an uphill battle for a few reasons:

Low GPA
Potentially low GMAT, although a 700 will help offset the GPA for certain schools
Mixed work experience

Give me some more information about your background and it may make sense to chat on the phone since you have somewhat of a unique profile.

Best,
Scott
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 497
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
Send PM
PersonalMBACoach wrote:
Manick9 wrote:
Hi Scott!
Pls valuate my profile.

GMAT: Currently getting 550 on practice tests, shooting for 700+. Planning to take my first GMAT ard Dec'16.

WE: 2 Yrs Police Force, 8mths SW Development at a German Automotive Company, 6mths Accounts Asst at a Canadian Company.

Spanish & German Lvl 1

Undergrad:

MBA Plans:
Trying to get into a top University in USA after my undergrad. Could you suggest some schools for me?

Thank you for the detailed post. I have a few questions before I can recommend some schools. Did you work after high school before going to study for your bachelors? Or have you been working and studying at the same time? It would be great to see what you have done each year since age 18 just to clarify. It sounds like there is a bit of an uphill battle for a few reasons:

Low GPA
Potentially low GMAT, although a 700 will help offset the GPA for certain schools
Mixed work experience

Give me some more information about your background and it may make sense to chat on the phone since you have somewhat of a unique profile.

Best,
Scott

Hi Scott!

I worked after my Diploma from Singapore Polytechnic for 2.5yrs before my Bachelors. Currently I am studying Full Time B.Eng in EEE at NTU and doing a 8 mth internship at Continental Automotive Singapore this semester.
I completed my Diploma in EEE at age 19. Then I worked 6 mths at Montreal Pte Ltd followed by 2 yrs in Singapore Police Force. I started my bachelors at age 22 and will finish at 25. I don't mind working before joining a MBA but I prefer to do one after my undergrad.

I would love to have a talk over the phone and thanks a lot for your time.

Best Regards,
Manickam
Send PM
Expert Reply
Manick9 wrote:
PersonalMBACoach wrote:
Manick9 wrote:
Hi Scott!
Pls valuate my profile.

Spanish & German Lvl 1

Undergrad:

MBA Plans:

Low GPA
Mixed work experience

Best,
Scott

Hi Scott!

I worked after my Diploma from Singapore Polytechnic for 2.5yrs before my Bachelors. Currently I am studying Full Time B.Eng in EEE at NTU and doing a 8 mth internship at Continental Automotive Singapore this semester.
I completed my Diploma in EEE at age 19. Then I worked 6 mths at Montreal Pte Ltd followed by 2 yrs in Singapore Police Force. I started my bachelors at age 22 and will finish at 25. I don't mind working before joining a MBA but I prefer to do one after my undergrad.

I would love to have a talk over the phone and thanks a lot for your time.

Best Regards,
Manickam

Manickam,

I understand. You would have a stronger profile if you wait but we can talk about what you should do in the meantime anyway. Send me an email to schedule time to discuss: scott@personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott
Send PM
Expert Reply
Are you planning for a video interview? Looking for some tips to perform well on Skype? See below for a post on virtual interview tips!

https://www.personalmbacoach.com/single- ... ideo-Essay

Best,
Scott
Send PM
Expert Reply
I received this question from a client recently and though I would post it for everyone.

"Now that we were able to raise my GMAT score, am I better off trying to continue to improve the score or taking extra classes to offset my low GPA? How should I spend my time"

For context, this applicant had a low GPA from a top 25 state school, a current GMAT score of 720 and is targeting some top 10 schools. My response was that improving the GMAT will be the best way to offset the low GPA so she should spend most of her time on that. That said, taking extra graduate level courses is also a really good way of showing dedication to improving the profile and it demonstrates ability to handle a rigorous MBA program. I mentioned that the first priority should be GMAT and if time is left, then focus on the classes. Of course doing both is the best thing if you know you will have time for both.

Best,
Scott
Send PM
Expert Reply
Congratulations to those of who you are receiving a CBS interview invite this week. To those still waiting, sit tight as they just started to send them out. If you are looking for interview preparation, I have a former Columbia interviewer (and former client of mine!) who conducts mock interviews. Contact me for more details.

If you are preparing for round two applications, now is the time to think about how many schools are realistic to tackle in the next 4-5 weeks. Feel free to reach out with any questions about your profile and what is reasonable to accomplish.

Good luck!

Best,
Scott
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi Personal MBA coach Please evaluate my profile

Introduction:
I am a 36 year old Indian male working in UK for last 5 years in a top tier aerospace company. I intend to apply to top 10 schools for MBA in USA/UK/Canada/Singapore.

GMAT Score:
Planning to take GMAT May-2017

Education:
X th: 81% out of 100%
XII th: 90% out of 100%

- UG GPA: 82% out of 100% (top 10%); Bachelor's Degree in Aeronautical Engineering; Madurai Kamraj University, Madurai, India

- Master's GPA: 4.6 out of 5 on CGPA scale; Master’s Degree in Aerospace Engineering (Thesis based), 2 publications.
- Moscow Aviation Institute, Moscow, Russia.

Work Experience:
Total 10 Years professional experience as Engineer (5 years in India & 5 years in UK). At the minute working with Aircraft Interiors Manufacturing company in UK as Structural analysis Engineer.
No managerial experience. No promotions.
Strong International Exposure
- Lived, Studied, Worked and travelled to multiple countries.
- Worked in International teams and leading a team of Engineers (located in UK, USA, France and Germany) to develop next set of methodologies that will save the company a lot of money once implemented.
Extracurriculars
Learnt Violin for 5 years and Interested in Music – Classical & Carnatic; 3 stage performances at Chennai
Learnt Hindi and French
Was a member of College Cricket team in UG and was a member of University Badminton team in Master’s.
Was a good runner. Won prizes for running during school days
Won prize at debate competition during school.

MBA (interested):
Interested in MBA (1 year programs) or Executive MBA with scholarships.
Please advise what are my chances?
Post-MBA Goal:
I plan to transition from Engineering based role to a management / strategy role in manufacturing/technology. I wish to leverage my experience of leading diverse teams and apply the vast knowledge, exposure and experience I have gained in managing different product portfolios in manufacturing /technology.
Interested in General management & product management (both middle level and senior level post MBA)
Send PM
Expert Reply
balakv wrote:

Introduction:
I am a 36 year old Indian male working in UK for last 5 years in a top tier aerospace company. I intend to apply to top 10 schools for MBA in USA/UK/Canada/Singapore.

GMAT Score:

Education:

- UG GPA: 82% out of 100% (top 10%); Bachelor's Degree in Aeronautical Engineering; Madurai Kamraj University, Madurai, India

- Master's GPA: 4.6 out of 5 on CGPA scale; Master’s Degree in Aerospace Engineering (Thesis based), 2 publications.

Work Experience:
Total 10 Years professional experience as Engineer (5 years in India & 5 years in UK). At the minute working with Aircraft Interiors Manufacturing company in UK as Structural analysis Engineer.
- Worked in International teams and leading a team of Engineers (located in UK, USA, France and Germany) to develop next set of methodologies that will save the company a lot of money once implemented.
Extracurriculars
Learnt Violin for 5 years and Interested in Music – Classical & Carnatic; 3 stage performances at Chennai
Learnt Hindi and French
Was a member of College Cricket team in UG and was a member of University Badminton team in Master’s.

MBA (interested):
Post-MBA Goal:
I plan to transition from Engineering based role to a management / strategy role in manufacturing/technology. I wish to leverage my experience of leading diverse teams and apply the vast knowledge, exposure and experience I have gained in managing different product portfolios in manufacturing /technology.
Interested in General management & product management (both middle level and senior level post MBA)

balakv

Thank you for your detailed profile post. I am curious to hear more about your background as I just wrapped up applications for a couple others who work in the aviation space.

While your undergraduate and graduate scores are good, the lack of promotions is somewhat concerning for an EMBA program, where they really want to see prior managerial experience. It is good that you have strong extra-curriculars and if you can do well on the GMAT (contact me if you are interested in hearing about our tutoring options), this will help you but you may want to think about a part-time MBA program as well if you could secure employment near the school. If this interests you then send me your resume so we can discuss further. There are one year programs that you could target based on your GMAT, so I would want to see that first as well. Send me your resume and we can continue discussing.

Best,
Scott
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
PersonalMBACoach wrote:
balakv wrote:

Introduction:

GMAT Score:

Education:

Work Experience:
Extracurriculars
Learnt Hindi and French

MBA (interested):
Post-MBA Goal:

balakv

Thank you for your detailed profile post. I am curious to hear more about your background as I just wrapped up applications for a couple others who work in the aviation space.

While your undergraduate and graduate scores are good, the lack of promotions is somewhat concerning for an EMBA program, where they really want to see prior managerial experience. It is good that you have strong extra-curriculars and if you can do well on the GMAT (contact me if you are interested in hearing about our tutoring options), this will help you but you may want to think about a part-time MBA program as well if you could secure employment near the school. If this interests you then send me your resume so we can discuss further. There are one year programs that you could target based on your GMAT, so I would want to see that first as well. Send me your resume and we can continue discussing.

Best,
Scott

Thank you Scott for your advise. I have emailed my resume to you.
Kindly let me know your opinion.
Many Thanks
Balakrishnan
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you again Balak!

Best,
Scott
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
I gave the GMAT first time around and scored a 660(q43v38). Retook within a month and scored a 750 (q49v42).

A little about my self:

Pakistani from top business school in the country.
Majoring in Economics and Political Science.

1) Last semester in College. Still haven't been recruited on Campus.
Multiple reasons: goofed off, engaged in activities I wouldn't put under Extra-currics for all 3 years.

Result: Next to no leadership experience and a 2.5 GPA as of now with Cs in my major courses. Max I can do is TRY to bring that up to a final 2.6, MAYBE a 2.7 if I do REALLY well this semester. Is it worth the effort or should I focus that effort on getting into a name brand company via networking etc?

2) Had an epiphany because of an event that led to something i'm not proud of so I decided to take the GMAT.... :shock:
Studied Hard.. scored High.

3) Want to make serious money. Still not sure about career paths but i'm 'business minded' if that even means anything now a days.

4) Strong sports background especially in Sailing. Visited a few countries because of it.

My questions are what should my career path be. I'm interested in consulting type work because I consider myself a generalist because I combine deep research and a multi disciplinary approach to problem solving. Mckinsey recruits on campus in a month or so but my CV is probably not going to get short listed for a lack of GPA and leadership experience, though I have done a few internships in summer.

What industry should I go for if I want to enter a top MBA program? If I don't get a top name brand job offer, should I continue studying by applying for a MS, knowing that given my grades chances of getting into a decent program are low? Whats going on in my mind is that doing better in an MS may improve my JOB/MBA prospects?

any help is appreciated

thanks
Send PM
Expert Reply
algorithmic22 wrote:
I gave the GMAT first time around and scored a 660(q43v38). Retook within a month and scored a 750 (q49v42).

A little about my self:

Pakistani from top business school in the country.
Majoring in Economics and Political Science.

1) Last semester in College. Still haven't been recruited on Campus.
Multiple reasons: goofed off, engaged in activities I wouldn't put under Extra-currics for all 3 years.

Result: Next to no leadership experience and a 2.5 GPA as of now with Cs in my major courses. Max I can do is TRY to bring that up to a final 2.6, MAYBE a 2.7 if I do REALLY well this semester. Is it worth the effort or should I focus that effort on getting into a name brand company via networking etc?

2) Had an epiphany because of an event that led to something i'm not proud of so I decided to take the GMAT.... :shock:
Studied Hard.. scored High.

3) Want to make serious money. Still not sure about career paths but i'm 'business minded' if that even means anything now a days.

4) Strong sports background especially in Sailing. Visited a few countries because of it.

My questions are what should my career path be. I'm interested in consulting type work because I consider myself a generalist because I combine deep research and a multi disciplinary approach to problem solving. Mckinsey recruits on campus in a month or so but my CV is probably not going to get short listed for a lack of GPA and leadership experience, though I have done a few internships in summer.

What industry should I go for if I want to enter a top MBA program? If I don't get a top name brand job offer, should I continue studying by applying for a MS, knowing that given my grades chances of getting into a decent program are low? Whats going on in my mind is that doing better in an MS may improve my JOB/MBA prospects?

any help is appreciated

thanks

Thank you for your detailed post and congrats on your GMAT score. In terms of pre-MBA career, there are a number of things you can do to create a strong profile. Consulting is certainly a good path but not the only one. McKinsey will be tough with your GPA so I suggest reaching out to a number of consulting firms and perhaps looking at internal business development or finance within an organization.

Enrolling in a masters program can also help you get a job in the short-term and also improve your academic profile for future MBA applications. Have you identified programs you are interested in or would you like help with that as well?

Please contact me to discuss further. We have an early MBA planning package that is designed to help applicants at your career stage.

Best,
Scott
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Statistics, Marketing
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 3.15
WE:Analyst (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi Scott,
I was accepted to an MBA Program and now I am being considered for the financial award. Recently, I have been promoted and I think that my value as an MBA candidate will increase, since I will be bringing different experience to the school. Should I contact admission office and tell them about my promotion and how the school will benefit from it? Wouldn't it seem like I am pushing too hard to get an award?
If I should do so, whom is better to write to? I can contact either an admission office or MBA program director, but I don't really know who to choose.

Thank you!
Send PM
Expert Reply
bakavoice wrote:
Hi Scott,
I was accepted to an MBA Program and now I am being considered for the financial award. Recently, I have been promoted and I think that my value as an MBA candidate will increase, since I will be bringing different experience to the school. Should I contact admission office and tell them about my promotion and how the school will benefit from it? Wouldn't it seem like I am pushing too hard to get an award?
If I should do so, whom is better to write to? I can contact either an admission office or MBA program director, but I don't really know who to choose.

Thank you!

Congratulations on getting admitted and getting a promotion!! While you are likely evaluated based on your application to date, the promotion can only help you at this point. I recommend reaching out to the admissions office and letting them know with a brief email. This isn't a forum to write an essay, however, so keep the explanation to a minimum and focus on just informing them of the promotion and your excitement to join the program.

Best,
Scott
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Statistics, Marketing
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 3.15
WE:Analyst (Manufacturing)
Send PM
PersonalMBACoach wrote:
bakavoice wrote:
Hi Scott,

Thank you!

Congratulations on getting admitted and getting a promotion!! While you are likely evaluated based on your application to date, the promotion can only help you at this point. I recommend reaching out to the admissions office and letting them know with a brief email. This isn't a forum to write an essay, however, so keep the explanation to a minimum and focus on just informing them of the promotion and your excitement to join the program.

Best,
Scott

Hi Scott,
Thank you very much for the advice! I wrote a short letter, saying that I got a promotion and I hope to contribute to the school.
Today I got an email stating that I am getting a full ride!

I am incredibly happy!

Thank you!

Best regards,
Kirill
Send PM
Expert Reply
bakavoice wrote:
PersonalMBACoach wrote:
bakavoice wrote:
Hi Scott,

Thank you!

Best,
Scott

Hi Scott,
Thank you very much for the advice! I wrote a short letter, saying that I got a promotion and I hope to contribute to the school.
Today I got an email stating that I am getting a full ride!

I am incredibly happy!

Thank you!

Best regards,
Kirill

Kirill,

Congratulations!!! That is excellent news. I am so happy the letter worked out and I hope you have a great experience on campus. Excellent news to close out the week. Thanks for your posts!

Best,
Scott
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,

Please review my profile:

GMAT(1st Attempt)-670(Q47,V35,IR6), AWA awaited
10th- 88.8%
12th-88.8%
B.Tech(B.I.T. Sindri)-85.3%

Indian Female

Work Experience:
5.5 years(Currently Unemployed)
-Worked for Cognizant technologies Solutions, Infosys Technologies
-Automation Testing
-Reviewed the framework developed by other vendor of the client.(Some of the suggestions were accepted and implemented)
-Took technical interviews for the selection of candidates for the organisation(Cognizant).
-Gave training to project managers regarding the new tools.

Extra Curricular:
-Won debate competition in Hindi and Sanskrit at School level
-Won various prizes for mantra recitation
-Member of NCC(National Cadet Corps-A certificate) till school.
-Member of Eco club in college(Treasurer).
-Organised cultural event for college.
-Taught poor students under the club -Prayas India(in college)

Hobbies:
-Cooking,Reading(Anything I get),Travelling

Target:
LBS,ISB,HEC Paris

Extra information:
1)What are the other schools I can apply on this score?
2)Chances of Scholarship in LBS

Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  36