Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask Simon School of Business Admissions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Official Business School Representative
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [2] , given: 0

Ask Simon School of Business Admissions [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 15:30
This post received
KUDOS
Welcome to the official Simon School of Business, University of Rochester Ask Admissions Thread!

You've always stood out among your peers. Now it is time to take the next step to make your mark on the rest of the world. The Simon Graduate School of Business at the University of Rochester is the place to do it.

GMAT Club Applicant Threads

Simon Rankings

Bloomberg Businessweek
  • No. 1 for return on investment among private US business schools
  • No. 3 in Accounting
  • No. 8 in most innovative curriculum
  • No. 13 in Finance
    December 2010

Financial Times of London
  • No. 3 in the world for Finance
  • No. 4 in the world for Managerial Economics
  • No. 7 in the world for Accounting
  • No. 22 among US business schools
    January 2012

U.S. News & World Report
  • No. 14 in Finance
  • No. 20 in Accounting
    March 2012

Simon School Videos

Simon Virtual Tour

The Simon Difference

Additional Videos:
Managerial Economics with Professor James Brickley
Cases in Finance with Professor Gregg Jarrell
Simon School Career Management Center

Connect with Simon on Social Media

Scholarships - Strong Return On Investment

Over 80 percent of full-time students receive some type of scholarship support. When considering qualified students, the Admissions committee looks closely at professional accomplishments, academic excellence, and demonstrated qualities of leadership.

Simon Leadership Fellowships
These full-tuition scholarships are awarded to full-time MBA candidates with outstanding academic and professional credentials, and who exhibit a passion for making a significant impact in the world around them. The fellowships include stipends for partial living expenses, which total about $10,000 per year. Fellows also benefit from special access to key events, speakers, and networking opportunities with prominent alumni.

Consortium for Graduate Study in Management
The Consortium’s mission is to encourage and enable the largest possible number of talented African-American, Hispanic-American, and Native-American college graduates to attend full-time MBA programs. Awards range from $5,000 per year to full tuition.

Forté Foundation Scholarships
Intended for female full-time MBA candidates who demonstrate exemplary academic, team, creative, and community leadership, these awards range from $10,000 to $30,000 per year.

Visit http://www.simon.rochester.edu/mbascholarships for more scholarship details.

Application Information

Admissions Deadlines

Application Deadlines
2013 Full-Time MBAApplication Due:Notification by:
Accelerated 18-Month Program, Winter 2013 Entry15 June, 20121 October, 2012
All Applicants-last day to apply:
15 October, 201220 November, 2012
One Year Program, June 2013 Entry 15 October, 201215 January, 2013
15 November, 201215 February, 2013
5 January, 201331 March, 2013
All Applicants-last day to apply:
15 March, 201330 April, 2013
Two Year Program, Fall 2013 Entry 15 October, 201215 January, 2013
International Applicants-last day to apply:
15 March, 201320 May, 2013
Domestic Applicants-last day to apply:
15 May, 20131 July, 2013
MS Program, Fall 2013 Entry 15 October, 201215 January, 2013
International Applicants-last day to apply:
15 March, 201320 May, 2013
Domestic Applicants-last day to apply:
15 May, 20131 July, 2013

Application Essays for 2013 Application

Essay #1: Describe your post-MBA or post-MS career plans. How does your past education and experience support your career objectives? What aspects of the Simon School program make it a good choice for your graduate study? (500 word maximum)

Optional Essay: Share any information that you think is important in the evaluation of your application, including any concerns you think the Admissions Committee may have regarding your application. (500 word maximum)

Full-Time MBA Class of 2014 Profile

Expected MBA Enrollment: 140
Average work experience: 4.6 years
Average age: 27 years
Average GMAT: 680
mid-80th percentile for GMAT: 620-720
US Students who are Under-represented Minorities: 19%
Undergraduate Average GPA: 3.45
Mid-80th percentile for GPA: 2.99 – 3.96

Popular Links:

Full Class Profile
Full-Time MBA Class of 2012 Employment Summary
2013 Full-Time MBA Programs
2012 Employment Report
2013 Scholarship Information
Admissions Blog
Frequently Asked Questions
Webinars
Visit Simon

Contact Information

MBA/MS Admissions Office
Phone: (585) 275-3533
Toll free in the US: (800) 599-5618
E-mail: admissions@simon.rochester.edu

Simon School of Business
University of Rochester
305 Schlegel Hall
Rochester, NY 14627-0107
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 22

Re: Ask Simon School of Business Admissions [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2013, 19:57
Hi there,

I have a quick question: What makes Simon unique and of value to the MBA students? Thanks!
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Ask Simon School of Business Admissions [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 10:19
This post received
KUDOS
Hi everyone! Simon provides a fantastic educational experience - smaller class cohorts for a personalized student engagement with faculty and each other; analytic/economic focus to give you a "tool-kit" of skills that you can immediately use in your post-MBA job; and a diverse and global network of classmates from more than 20 different countries each year enrolling. We also have great results in our job placements and a highly supportive Career Management Center that will work with you on your internship and job search. Please - ask questions - I am here to help you explore and learn more about the Rochester/Simon experience.

-Rebekah Lewin
Exec. Director of Admissions & Administration
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations
Schools: Simon '15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Ask Simon School of Business Admissions [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 18:51
Dear admission officer,

As I see in your brochure, it is requied to have an on-campus interview and team case competition in order to get the Simon Leadership Fellowships. Is there any exception on this case? ( I'm from Vietnam ).
Thanks!!
2 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 6 [2] , given: 0

Re: Ask Simon School of Business Admissions [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 05:34
This post received
KUDOS
Hi there! International students are also invited to campus if they are being considered for the Simon Leadership Fellowship (full tuition and living stipend). Simon helps to subsidize travel costs and provides accommodations and meals to those participating in the Scholarship Weekened event. Please note that there are many other scholarships beyond the selective Leadership Fellowship and most of those awards do not require a visit to campus for funding consideration. More than 75% of our enrolling class received scholarship funding at some level from the Simon School. Hope this helps and do let me know if you have other questions!

Rebekah Lewin
Exec. Director of Admissions & Admin.
Manager
Manager

Re: Ask Simon School of Business Admissions [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2013, 10:11
bb,
Is it possible to add Simon to the Ask Admissions Directors list, and the bar on the right? :)

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Simon '15 (WL)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Re: Ask Simon School of Business Admissions [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 22:39
Hi

I've a few queries regarding wait-list admission status:
1) If someone is wait-listed, when is his application reviewed again?
2) Are the wait-listed candidates considered for scholarship?
3) Are the wait-listed candidates invited to the scholarship weekend if the final decision comes before the event?

Thanks,
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Ask Simon School of Business Admissions [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 04:56
This post received
KUDOS
Hi there - with regards to your questions about the waiting list.
1. Decisions are guaranteed by late spring (indicated in the notification letter) but the waiting list will likely be reviewed in mid to late March along with candidates who have applied for our Jan. 5th deadline. We may issue offers if we have space. Otherwise, we will continue to hold your application and consider during the April/May timeframe as we get responses from those students who already have an offer.
2. Yes, Wait list candidates may be considered for scholarship support. Scholarships are merit-based and an offer would depend on both the absolute and relative assessment of the application compared with candidates already admitted. A fairly high number (more than 75%) of our incoming students receive some sort of funding from Simon for the full-time MBA.
3. While it is possible to be invited to Scholarship Weekend from the waiting list, it is probably not likely due to timing issues (the second weekend is in early April). If a student cannot be invited to Scholarship Weekend but is otherwise competitive, we will go out with our best offer of scholarship support without requiring the candidate to come to campus.

I hope this helps, but feel free to reply if there is further clarification that I can offer on the waiting list. Good luck with your B-school plans!

-Rebekah Lewin
Intern
Intern
Schools: Simon '15 (WL)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Re: Ask Simon School of Business Admissions [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 20:05
Thank you Rebekah for answering all my queries. :)
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kelley '15 (S)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Ask Simon School of Business Admissions [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 03:06
Hi Rebekah,

I had a query. In the notification letter e-mailed to the waitlisted candidates, it is mentioned that any supporting documents that the candidate may provide will be shared with the Admission committee within 5 days of submission. Is it possible that the committee may also provide decision on rolling basis to the waitlisted candidates.

This question is with regard to the fact that at my work place the annual performance cycle will start in few weeks. (I am expecting but cannot be sure of the elevation outcome)

So should I go ahead with submitting other supplements or can I submit the supplements now and elevation details if any later. Would the Admission committee be fine with it.

Thanks

Regards
Neha
Manager
Manager

Re: Ask Simon School of Business Admissions [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 11:44
Hi Neha,
I would recommend that you would e-mail the supplements already in their
possession to the admissions email address and mention the elevation
details will arrive later; the Admissions Office will then confirm
receipt of their materials and reply to any other questions they may
have.

You could also e-mail admissions at Simon with any other questions.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kelley '15 (S)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Ask Simon School of Business Admissions [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 05:53
Thank you Marketing prof for helping me out. :)
Manager
Manager

Re: Ask Simon School of Business Admissions [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 06:37
My pleasure! Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Transportation)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Simon School of Business Admissions [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2013, 07:06
RLewinRochesterSimon wrote:
Hi there! International students are also invited to campus if they are being considered for the Simon Leadership Fellowship (full tuition and living stipend). Simon helps to subsidize travel costs and provides accommodations and meals to those participating in the Scholarship Weekened event. Please note that there are many other scholarships beyond the selective Leadership Fellowship and most of those awards do not require a visit to campus for funding consideration. More than 75% of our enrolling class received scholarship funding at some level from the Simon School. Hope this helps and do let me know if you have other questions!

Rebekah Lewin
Exec. Director of Admissions & Admin.

When we talk about scholarships, how much is the minimum amount of scholarship which is awarded to students with decent background.. as one of my colleague got admitted and got just $2000 as scholarship... this doesnt count as scholarship...
can you pls reply to this?
Manager
Manager

Re: Ask Simon School of Business Admissions [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2013, 04:45
Bolero,
Just checking...what was the total?

Last edited by MarketingProf on 13 Mar 2013, 08:16, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: Ask Simon School of Business Admissions [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2013, 02:22
MarketingProf wrote:
Bolero,
Just checking...was it $2,000 or $20,000?

Two international students with $2000 each... :(
Intern
Intern

Re: Ask Simon School of Business Admissions [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2013, 02:26
Coming back to the reason as to why i am following this post.
I would like to know about the operations management program of SIMON.
How good is it(actually) and how much are graduates usually compensated by the companie?
Thanks.
Manager
Manager

Re: Ask Simon School of Business Admissions [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 03:50
Bolero,
Rebekah (the Admissions Director) might have better answers, but here's what a Simon professor from CIS/Operations replied when I forwarded your questions to him:
- Compensation, for those going to Management Consulting, varies depending on prior experience, background, etc, but the range he sees is $80k to 110K per year.
I hope this helps! Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Simon School of Business Admissions [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2013, 14:06
Hi,

I am interested in the MS in Marketing course that Simon Business School offers, and would like to know if it is any good.
Also, how does it rank compared to Mays Business School's MS in Marketing in terms of job placements upon completion?

Thanks in advance!
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 129

Kudos [?]: 648 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Ask Simon School of Business Admissions [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2014, 21:37
Expert's post
What is the average decision time? I got interviewed 10 days back, so any idea when I can expect a decision from Simon.
Thanks

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Re: Ask Simon School of Business Admissions   [#permalink] 31 Jan 2014, 21:37