Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 11:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask Stacy Blackman

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Stacy Blackman [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2011, 22:58
Dear Stacy,

I would really appreciate some help with this. I have been admitted to Boston University for the full time MBA with scholarship, and have recently got an admit at Kelley(full time MBA) as well without scholarship. I am very keen on BU as Boston is a thriving city with larger opportunities to network,etc. But Kelley is ranked higher than BU. I am interested in pursuing strategy consulting and/or B2B marketing. I am an international student.

Would really appreciate your insight on this.

Thank you!
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask Stacy Blackman [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2011, 11:32
Expert's post
Hi ral,

Congrats on being accepted into both programs. Although there are a lot of factors at play here, notably the scholarship from BU, I really recommend you consider your post-graduation goals and how they align with both programs.

As an example, if you know you would like to work for a particular company post-graduation, call the career centers at each program and ask them about the companies that recruit students. Career centers are surprisingly open and honest to these requests.

Second, talk to students at each program. After you do this, you'll have a much better idea for which is the right business school to attend.

Good luck! As always, I'm happy to follow up if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: ACCA
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask Stacy Blackman [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 06:03
Hi Stacy,

I am planning to apply this year for a top MBA program.

My current profile
Male, 24, African
GMAT- 690- I am planning to retake it year though.

B.Sc Accounting-Top African University
3.75 out of 5

M.Sc Accounting and Finance- Top European University
71%

Currently 1.5 year experience at big4(audit associate) and expecting to become a senior associate by June.

Association of Certified Chartered Accountants (UK) exams completed for both the technician and professional level. 20 papers in all; started studying for this during my bachelor’s degree. Should I mention this as an extenuating circumstance affecting my bachelor’s degree GPA?
Average Score at professional level-68%

Others- Awards in school, Chess club member at both university and graduate school. Induction course representative at Big4, part time consultant at my father's medium scale enterprise.

My current preferences are an international environment (large percentage of international students),large class, great opportunities for management consulting and entrepreneurship, great opportunities for career switchers and non-preference for an older class with more work experience. My current preferred list is
Harvard
Wharton
Chicago
Columbia
INSEAD
Northwestern
Ross

Do I have a decent shot at these schools perhaps with a GMAT score of 730? Are there other schools I should consider based on my current criteria? Are there other criteria I should seriously consider?

Thanks

real-business-school-admissions-essay-topics-humor-78619.html#p591652

Last edited by schemer on 23 Mar 2011, 23:04, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Ask Stacy Blackman [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 16:56
Hi Stacy,

I am waiting on the decision from 1 more school, but right now I need to make a decision to goto Georgetown or not go at all.

A little bit about me:

gpa: 3.3 engineering top 10 program
gmat: 710
work experience: analytics consulting/process consultant at a vault consulting top 15 company for 4 years.

my results this year: wharton/kellogg/tuck: ding. cornell: waitlist. georgetown: in with no scholarship.

I want to break into finance/investment banking, should i wait and apply next year or is georgetown enough to get me there? Thanks so much!
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask Stacy Blackman [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 16:31
Expert's post
Hi dethinker,

I believe I responded to your question here:

georgetown-111350.html#p901205

Please let me know if there are any other questions I can help answer!

Cheers,

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Stockholm School of Economics (MSc Finance) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask Stacy Blackman [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 19:22
hello,

could you please evaluate my chances:
1) No work experience. Only a 4 month internship with a non-profit startup
2) taking in october/november 2011, but 700 is achievable
3) a university from Republic of Moldova 2+1 years; average 9.2/10 (Finance and Banking 2008-2012)
exchange student (full scholarship ~$50k): small liberal arts college in USA / 1 year (2010-2011); 4.0 GPA / Dean's List (Business)
4) extensive volunteering experience as project manager and treasurer for youth projects; leadership positions in student government (vice-president) and international club; short teaching assistant experience (less than 2 weeks programs);
6) target progams: pre-experience programs, mainly London Business School - MSc in Management; London School of Economics - MSc in Finance, Stockholm School of Economics - MSc Business and Finance, +1-2 other European schools

debating between applying to Round 1 or Round 2, given the fact I have a GMAT >700
what other schools should I consider, based my picks?
thanks
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask Stacy Blackman [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 17:39
Expert's post
Hi alexgmd,

I'd be happy to follow up on your other questions after, but I recommend you gain work experience before pursuing a masters degree. Not only will you have more knowledge from the working world, but you will get a lot more out of the program.

The best part is that work experience will also make you a more attractive candidate.

Hope to hear from you.

Cheers,

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Stockholm School of Economics (MSc Finance) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask Stacy Blackman [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 17:40
thank you,

but the thing is programs such as Masters in Management from London Business School requires less than 1 year of work experience. I'm targeting this type of programs.
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask Stacy Blackman [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 17:42
Expert's post
schemer,

My apologies for missing your earlier post. You have an attractive candidacy, and I think it is very important that you create and frame your story well in your application.

If you'd like, you can visit http://stacyblackman.com/contact for a free 30 minute phone call with the Stacy Blackman Team.

I think the phone call will be of a lot of help to you.

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Cheers,

Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask Stacy Blackman [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 17:47
Expert's post
Hi alexgmd,

I understand that some programs require less than 1 year of work experience. I recommended it earlier because even more important than the experience will be the knowledge and understanding of what you want to truly pursue in the future. This will be invaluable.

Are you looking to pursue MBA programs in addition to the Masters programs you had listed.

Best,

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Re: Ask Stacy Blackman [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2011, 21:06
Hi Stacy

I had applied a year back to certain colleges and I got Straight Dings, No I/V's nothing. My stats are as below and I am going to apply again this year and hopefully more wiser.

GMAT First time around :690 Q47 V38 AWA 5.5)
GMAT -II : 720 Q48 V 41
TOEFL :116
Xth : 88%
XII:86.33%
Engg: 62.4% first class from Univ of Mumbai

Colleges applied to last year :

ISB,Emory,Mccombs and Broad(so much for being my safety :D )

Work ex : 4yrs in June 2011.

Started my Career with one of the largest banks on earth and am still in it. Started off as a Software Engineer and climbed the ladder and became a Module lead and then into a Requirements Analyst and Now have been fastracked for a double promotion to Business Analyst(on Probation, will get the final letter and pay hike in May)

Am a member of the Global rollout management team for my department and have rolled out products worth 40 million dollars + and counting (will go up by another 14 million by the time I join college )

Global owner of 3 Global Banking services offered by my Bank to customers. Single point of Contact for those services within my bank (40 countries and counting) and the services are worth millions of dollars each.

Had my own team (dotted line reporting) of 4 developers and am incharge of all the delivery that those guys perform in a year, as well as handling their performance assessments.

As business analysts work solo on projects, there is no concept of having a team under me at this juncture. Although I do co-ordinate with multiple teams at any given moment.

No international experience(refused a 2 year UK stint last year because I thought I would get a college.last year)

Extra curriculars: From playing tennis at District level to acting in plays to being the head boy of my school and college to being a Climate champion and Corporate Social Responsibility committee member. I have some things to hark about here but nothing to show in forms of certificates. I have worked with various NGO's and am part of a committee that decides which NGO gets the money my bank decides to dole out on an annual basis.

My goals are to probably come back to my Bank as an International Manager(You might have guessed where I work) and yes, Retail banking is where I would like to work in. I had not intention of cutting down on the quality of the college last year and this year, although I might waiver but I still am resolute that I will not/shall not go to a college just because thats the only thing I was getting.

1) Darden - straight Ding
2) ISB - I/V and then Ding(didnt ask me anything! )
3) Broad - Admit with instate tuition,$ 2k and GA
4)Nanyang - ding
5) Georgia tech - Ding, I asked for financial assistance and they didnt have any.
6) NUS- Ding
7)Mccombs(r2) - Results awaited.

Given my career goals and my background, I think I can probably get into a better college next year. But I just wanted your personal opinion of the Eli Broad College of Management? Do you think it is worth the investment? Or am i better off applying for other colleges next year,probably with more specialized help?

Regards
Nikhil

ps. sorry for the ultra long post :)
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask Stacy Blackman [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2011, 11:57
Expert's post
Hi Nikhil,

Thanks for posting. There are a lot of factors when deciding whether to attend a business school; some candidates are fine waiting an additional year, while others need to attend at a certain year. I get the feeling from your post that you are not too interested in attending the Eli Broad College of Management, and are looking to attend a school with a higher reputation. If this is the case you may want to consider waiting an additional year.

It's very important that if you do decide to apply next year, that you focus on your application (GMAT scores are important, but so are your essays.)

We wrote an article on an Indian candidate we worked with who was accepted into Wharton. I highly recommend you read this. The URL is:

http://www.stacyblackman.com/2011/03/30 ... applicant/

I hope this was of help. Please let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Cheers,

Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask Stacy Blackman [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2011, 23:06
Hi Stacy Blackman Team

I would like an evaluation of my profile to understand what my realistic stretch/match/safety schools should be.

Profile:

Undergrad GPA: 2.92 (3.67 Finance, 3.2 Business Law) from Boston University
UG Considerations: escalating GPA, Deans List in Junior Year, minored in International Relations, received 20 more credits above the minimum requirement; I also took a break after my second year (details below); worked all through UG (ave 20hr/wk) and at one point holding 3 jobs (30hr/wk), including a Research Assistant position with the Finance and Economics Dpt at BU.

GMAT: 720

Work Ex: After UG, 3 years working in Singapore as a Financial Analyst for a global top tier Investment Bank; followed by, 2 years working in India as head of business development for one of 3 business units (40% of Company’s Revenue) for a publically traded pharmaceutical manufacturing firm (promoted 1 year after joining); and currently nearly 8 months in Taiwan working as a business development consultant for the same pharmaceutical firm

Extra Curr: currently studying mandarin at a credited university/language school in Taipei; passed Japanese Proficiency Language Test Level 4 (basic)

UG Break: after an abysmal first 2 years of UG, I took a break from academics and traveled to China for the first time where I was inspired by the people there on how they managed to overcome their own hardships (which paled against my own) and finding the resolve to persevere. After which I interned for a personal financial investment company and discovered my own resolve. After I came back, I demonstrated my newfound interest and dedication to a professor and mentor of mine (ironically one of the same professors where I did less than a good job in his class) in emerging markets and became a RA for him in the F&E dpt at BU.

Post-MBA Plan: Long term is to start my own business management consulting firm in Asia, focusing on small to midcap firms achieve their next level in business from operation to strategy. Short Term is to work as a business management consultant in an existing top tier consulting firm using my collective experience focusing on strategy and general management in Asia.

Interests: traveling (have visited over 30 countries, and lived in 5 countries), economic and social development in emerging markets (Asia Focus)

Personal Details: Born in Seoul Korea, adopted, naturalized US citizen, currently 27y/o (this year), male, raised by single mother and grandparents, one brother

Stretch Schools: HBS, Kellog
Target Schools: Columbia, Fuqua, Haas, LBS, Insead, IMD, IE Business School
Safety Schools: Stern, Anderson, Judge

Do these sound about right or am I completely off base? Is my GPA insurmountable? Considering the above, do I need to take one more year to build an “alternative transcript” to augment my GPA?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Ask Stacy Blackman [#permalink] New post 11 May 2011, 06:05
Hi Stacy,

I am a new member of the GMATClub - in fact I have decided to take GMAT just a few days back. Can you please guide me on the basis of my profile and objectives given below:

Indian, Male, 36 years

Undergrad - Electronics Engineering - 1996 (9.07 out of 10)
Post Grad - Electronics Engineering - 1998 (9.57 out of 10)
Post-grad Diploma in Management (equivalent to MBA) - 2009 - A top-ranked Indian Management Institute - Among top 10% in the class

Work Ex - approx 10 years (including 2 years for MBA) with Indian Railways, one of the world's largest organizations - at a leadership position. Managing a work-force of approx 3,000. Received several recognitions and commendations on professional front

Extra-curricular Acts: Nothing much to talk about

Expected GMAT Score: around 700 (on the basis of first prep-test I gave this morning)

I want to do a PhD in Management from a Top-20 B-school, with emphasis on Strategic Management - and post that I want to go towards academics/research (both usually go together in India). But I am not sure where my profile would place me, or rather which schools/PhD-courses I should aim for.

Can you please guide me some on this?

Regards,
Intern
Intern
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion with a stupid assumption and can never be the conclusion
WE 1: Marine Engineer
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Need Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 17 May 2011, 06:14
Male, 23, Marine Engineer, India

GMAT : 720(Q51 V35)
TOEFL : 111

Under Graduate : From MERI(former DMET), Kolkata (prestigious government Institute)
GPA - 3.54

Work Experience : I started working with Mitsui OSK Lines from September,2007 and switched over to NYK Shipmanagement in 2009.
I am currently working with NYK Shipmanagement and recently been promoted to the rank of 2nd Assistant Engineer.

So by September,12 my work experience would comprise 5 years onboard 5 different vessels, with different cargo, machinery, trade and routes.
As my job required me to work in international waters and trade between different companies, my international experience is almost the same as well and I have visited 5 out 7 continents ( except Africa & South America) and more than 50 countries.
I had been working in Japanese companies( MOL & NYK, being the largest and second largest shipping companies of the world respectively), onboard vessels with foreign owner and foreign flag, with multinational officers and crew including, Russian, Croatian, Filipino, Bangladeshi, Indonesian, Chinese, Vietnamese etc.

Extra Curricular : Was National Kickboxing Championship Quarter-Finalist
Working voluntarily for "Variye Nagarik Seva Sansthan" an organisation to help poor old aged people.
Has worked with NGO "1% Humanity" in co-ordination with Kolkata Police
Helped Kolkata Police in Blood Donation camps during college years.

Short Term Goal : Post MBA, I would like to work with the Industrial or Energy sector. Would like you to short list the institutions for me.

With my research I am tageting:

Dream School : MIT, LBS, INSEAD
Within reach : HEC, IE, ISB, Oxford
Safe Schools : Manchestor, Mays, BYU

Please rate my profile and guide me how to explicitly express my non-traditional background as a Marine Engineers to adcoms, who might be unfamiliar with my tasks and responsibilities.
I have few ideas and I would like to mail you personally.

Thanks in advance.

Report this post
Intern
Intern

Re: Ask Stacy Blackman [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 04:16
Hi Stacy,

I completed my undergraduate degree at an English university that is not as well known, and I'm concerned that the reputation of my university will adversely impact my application. Harvard, and other top schools, have lists of universities that previous students were from and I noticed that my university is not listed. Is this anything to go by? Should I even apply to top business schools like Harvard, Wharton and Stanford? I want to be realistic about my chances and would be grateful for some advice with respect to this point.

I'm female and graduated with first class honours in law and science and have a gmat score of 740. I worked at a well known international law firm, and then moved to a utilities company to work as an economist. This company is pretty small and not well known.

Kind regards,

jplin2889
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask Stacy Blackman [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 07:41
Expert's post
Hi woojet,

First, I want to say that you a very unique profile and if you would like more insight, I recommend you sign up for a free 30 minute consultation here http://stacyblackman.com/contact. You'll get the most information here for your candidacy.

Regarding what you have written, as you mentioned your largest hurdle will be overcoming your GPA. Top business schools are looking for a record of excellence. I recommend reading this case study on a candidate with a sub 3.0 GPA http://bit.ly/kMGOkW.

For your application, your personal essays and letters of recommendations are going to be crucial in explaining your story and how you can contribute to an MBA program.

Hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask Stacy Blackman [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 07:43
Expert's post
Hi jplin2889,

Your undergraduate university is a factor that business schools look at, but it plays less a role than most applicants think. Business schools are looking for a history of excellence and for candidates that have and will make an impact on the world. You can show evidence of this in many ways (work experience, high GMAT score, letters of recommendations, etc.).

Hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask Stacy Blackman [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2011, 08:05
Expert's post
Hi everyone,

We are excited to announce the 2011 Stacy Blackman Consulting Challenge!

http://www.stacyblackman.com/sbc-challenge/

The SBC Challenge was created in order to give two deserving MBA applicants a terrific set of tools that will maximize their chances of being admitted to a top business school. SBC will be distributing two scholarship packages valued at over $11,000! Winners will receive a test prep course, SBC consulting services, and other fantastic tools.

People who apply for the SBC Challenge must meet the following requirements:

- Finished college, or in final year of college
- Plans to apply to business school in order to enroll in 2012
- This competition is open to international candidates.

Please submit your application by July 20, 2011.

If you are interested in submitting an application, visit the information page. We are personally very excited to review the applications and to work with the winners!

http://www.stacyblackman.com/sbc-challenge/

Good Luck!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 7

Re: Ask Stacy Blackman [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 07:35
Please evaluate my profile and also my chances of getting into my target universities.

Nationality : Indian
GPA : 7.5/10 (Engineering Graduate)
GMAT1 (Feb '11) : 610 (Q45 , V29) AWA 4
GMAT2 (Jun '11) : 700 (Q47 , V38) AWA 5

W.E : 4 Years in the IT services industry in the financial services domain.

Extra curriculars arent great..

Kindly let me know about my chances or how I can improve the same.

Target Universities (Full Time MBA):

Dream :
HK UST
HAAS
DUKE
DARDEN
JOHNSON

Within Reach :
Nanyang MBA
National University of Singapore
University of Georgetown, Mcdonough

Safety :