Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 07:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask Stacy Blackman

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GPA: 2.2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Stacy Blackman [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 07:20
Hello Stacy and Team,
Looking for a reality check on admin chances and would greatly appreciate the advice of the best in the biz!

31yo Male
Work Experience:
The last year I have spent at Officer Candidate School/Infantry Officer Leadership Course and Ranger School (the army's premier troop leadership school) for the Army Reserves. As I explain in my essays the Army Reserves isn't exactly jumping from career to career it is actually an "in addition to" thing that was a life long dream that came down to now or never. The previous 3 years were spent as an analyst on a Private Wealth Mgmt team for a national wire house. In addition, thru college I spent 6 years as general manager of a small biz and was instrumental in growing it from 5-50+ employees and helping to increase revenue exponentially.

GMAT 1: 690 (Q43/V41 - Q65%/V92%)
GMAT 2: 740 (Q48/V42 - Q82%/V95%)

CFA Level III candidate

GPA: 2.65 Biology/Physics minor
State School
I have taken Math for Finance and Biz Calculus through UCLA Extension (A's in both) to try to mitigate the abysmal undergraduate showing. (Hoping that the GMAT, CFA and UCLA classes show I can hack quant subjects at a graduate level.) I also used the essays to highlight the solid leadership experience of running small biz during college was gained at the expense of my gpa.

Pretty good track record of community involvement over the past years by consistently volunteering with the Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity, a local homeless shelter (foot wound care and washing the feet of the homeless) as well as a political campaign.

Solid essays and should get solid recommendations.

I'm actually took a road trip to get the first hand experience at some of the top schools and here is my application list in order of preference (asterisk denotes visited):
Tuck*
CBS*
Yale SOM*
NYU*
Duke
Darden
Emory*
I also visited HBS and Wharton but I won't be applying; I have a mental stumbling block telling me that there is no way my GPA would be acceptable. (Still holding hope for CBS and especially Tuck, as I absolutely fell in love with Tuck on my visit.)

Thanks so much in advance
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask Stacy Blackman [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 07:04
Expert's post
Hi wilrusdar,

Thanks for posting. Congratulations on your excellent GMAT score. A 740 is certainly something to be proud of and will help regarding your GPA.

For your GPA, this is something you should address in your essays. Here is a case study on one candidate with a sub 3.0 GPA who was accepted into Columbia and Chicago Booth. It should provide some insight:

http://www.stacyblackman.com/comprehens ... ies/case5/

With regards to your year at Officer Candidate School/Infantry Officer Leadership Course and Ranger School, the military is something that most business schools think very highly of. The article below should be of help describing particular schools that are particularly fond of military experience (Tuck School of Business was one of them).

http://www.stacyblackman.com/2011/05/30 ... ess-school

There is nothing other than your undergraduate GPA that an admissions team will look negatively on. Make sure to emphasize your leadership experience when you served as a general manager, and discuss the growth that you achieved in your career.

If you can address your GPA and successfully present your brand and why each business school is the right fit for you, you'll be a competitive candidate (keep in mind, you will need to make sure your recommendations and personal essays are not only great, but also reflect the brand image you would like to present to an admissions team).

Hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask Stacy Blackman [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 07:07
Expert's post
HI gandalf007,

Thanks for posting.

With regards to your work experience, did you have a history of progression in your career? Were you responsible for managing and leading others?

Please read this case study as well, as I hope it will provide some insight to you:

http://www.stacyblackman.com/comprehens ... ies/case2/

Hope to hear from you.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap