Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 12:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask tips and advices for my new preparation!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 14

Ask tips and advices for my new preparation!! [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 14:09
Hello everyone!!
I took the GMAT test for the first time the 30th of october, after 1 month and half of preparation, in which I had studied every day for at least 6 hours per day, I got a 550 (44 Q 22 V) the result was very disappointment for me because in the previous test which I had got I could reach 600. I understood that my main weeknes is the verbal section, and trying to improve that section I went to australia to improve my english for two months. Now I'm coming back home, where I'll restart the preparation. I have a month (my test is scheduled on 19 february) and my target is 650. I can dedicate at least 6 hours each day studying for the gmat. Moreover in these last 15 days I have studied the whole MGMAT SC and I think that my reading skill is improved in the last two months.
Now I need some tips and advices to exploit this month in the best way!!
Do you think that I should study Quantitative and Verbal together splitting the day in two parts (verbal during morning and quantitative during afternoon) or it is better studying for the first 15 days Quantitative and then the last 15 days studying Verbal?
I would buy two courses from e-gmat ( SC and CR), do you think it is a good idea? do you think that I have enough time to follow both these courses?
Thank you!!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 298 [0], given: 182

Re: Ask tips and advices for my new preparation!! [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 14:14
Do you think that I should study Quantitative and Verbal together splitting the day in two parts (verbal during morning and quantitative during afternoon) or it is better studying for the first 15 days Quantitative and then the last 15 days studying Verbal?
-- Yes keep Quant and Verbal preparation going in parallel. With 15 days of gap is too long. Spitting the day in two parts (verbal during morning and Quant during noon/evening) sounds good. Even alternate days for Quant/Verbal is fine, but IMO, 15 days is too long as you will tend to loose touch/pace a bit.

Thanks,
PraPon

VOTE: vote-best-gmat-practice-tests-excluding-gmatprep-144859.html
PowerScore CR Bible - Official Guide 13 Questions Set Mapped: Click here
Tough 700+ Level RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 14

Re: Ask tips and advices for my new preparation!! [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 14:31
Thank you,
What do you think about this plan?
Morning (Verbal): first 2 hours used to study concept on "CR bible" and follow e-gmat courses. the third hour doing exercise with error log on OG 13
Afternoon (Quantitative): first hour used to study concept in which I'm weak, last two hours doing exercises with error log.
Last week before test--> make a MGMAT test every day and study my error log

Do you think it's a good plan? what other tips do you suggest?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 298 [0], given: 182

Re: Ask tips and advices for my new preparation!! [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 14:57
IanSolo wrote:
Thank you,
What do you think about this plan?
Morning (Verbal): first 2 hours used to study concept on "CR bible" and follow e-gmat courses. the third hour doing exercise with error log on OG 13
Afternoon (Quantitative): first hour used to study concept in which I'm weak, last two hours doing exercises with error log.
Last week before test--> make a MGMAT test every day and study my error log

Do you think it's a good plan? what other tips do you suggest?

Your plan looks good, except your last line is what concerned me the most. I have few comments though -
- "Last week before test--> make a MGMAT test every day" - Not a good idea. Dont give more than 2-3 tests in your last exam week. Trust me, 5 tests in a row during your last week will exhaust you more than you can even imagine. You dont want to hamper your performance during actual GMAT due to fatigue. Keep last day free from any studies, relax and let your mind rejuvenate after months of marathon. You still have over 4 weeks left. If you have (6 MGMAT test + 2 GMATPRP) remaining then take those tests in intervals like (1-2 tests per week), keep tracking your performance, strengthen your weaknesses, and gradually build stamina/endurance. Last week you can give 2 (not more than 3) tests, but focus more on your error log and strategies.

- You seem to use multiple resources for same subject/topic, e.g. CR Bible and e-gmat for CR. considering its a last month, I would say stick to one prep material (per area) and follow its strategies. Learning separate strategies from multiple sources may confuse you. However you can always use multiple resources for practicing their question banks. As its your last month, I would advice to formulate & finalize your strategy for solving specific type of question whether its CR/SC/RC or PS/DS.

Below is a must read for planning your final stage:
http://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... to-review/
http://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... game-plan/

Again, these just my suggestions, but do what suits best for you!

Thanks,
PraPon

VOTE: vote-best-gmat-practice-tests-excluding-gmatprep-144859.html
PowerScore CR Bible - Official Guide 13 Questions Set Mapped: Click here
Tough 700+ Level RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7

Re: Ask tips and advices for my new preparation!!   [#permalink] 15 Jan 2013, 14:57