Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 07:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask University of British Columbia Sauder School Admissions

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
2 KUDOS received
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 29 May 2012
Posts: 19
Location: Canada
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 9 [2] , given: 0

Ask University of British Columbia Sauder School Admissions [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 21:02
2
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Image

Welcome to the Official Ask Sauder School of Business at the University of British Columbia MBA Admissions

The MBA Programs Office at the Sauder School of Business would like to welcome everyone to this thread and offer an opportunity to ask questions about our MBA programs. If there is anything we can help with, please let us know.


Rankings


• 57th among the world’s top 100 MBA programs in the 2013 Financial Times Global MBA Ranking
• Among the world’s top 100 best business schools in The Economist’s 2012 rankings
• Ranked 15th for employability of MBA grads among North American business schools in the 2012/2013 QS 200 Global Business Schools Report
• Strongest business school in Canada for publication research by Higher Education Strategy Associates
• UBC ranked 25th in the 2012 Times Higher Education Reputation Rankings of the top 100 universities
• UBC ranked 39th among the world’s top 500 universities by the 2012 Academic Ranking of World Universities

Sauder is accredited by both AACSB and EQUIS. As one of less than 70 institutions accredited by both leading international systems of quality assessment, Sauder is recognized among the top 1% of business schools in the world.


About UBC's Full-time MBA


The 16-month, full-time UBC MBA at Sauder's Robert H. Lee Graduate School offers a uniquely integrated vision. With a focus on experiential learning, global immersion and personalized leadership development you’ll gain confidence to innovate on the world stage. Choose from four career tracks that span business disciplines and functions, and give you the depth of knowledge and breadth of skills you need to shape your career and succeed in business: Finance, Consulting & Strategic Management, Product & Service Management, and Business Innovation & Entrepreneurship

About UBC's Part-time MBA


Our 28-month, part-time MBA program provides excellent career advancement potential while allowing business professionals to enjoy the flexibility of a program designed to be in touch with their, and the business world’s, needs.

About UBC's International MBA


Our 20-month, part-time IMBA lets you work in Shanghai and earn an MBA. Featuring two weeks of study in Vancouver, Sauder offers this unique program in partnership with the Antai College of Economics and Management in Shanghai.

About UBC's Master of Management - Early Career Masters


The full-time, 9-month Master of Management - Early Career Masters is designed for individuals with undergraduate degrees in non-business disciplines and limited work experience who want to fast-track their career. This degree provides a fundamental background in business and the skills that benefit a career in any industry or sector.

If you want to transform the business world, we want you!

Resources for Sauder School of Business:


Attachments

File comment: UBC Full-Time MBA Brochure
UBC Full-Time MBA Brochure.pdf [609.67 KiB]
Downloaded 57 times

To download please login or register as a user


Last edited by UBCMBA on 04 Mar 2013, 11:07, edited 3 times in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Dec 2010
Posts: 214
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 26

Re: Ask University of British Columbia (Sauder) Admissions [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2012, 05:13
hi,
i am an indian IT male who has written the GMAT and considering sauder for admission.
my GMAT score is 680(Q44V38). what are the job prospects if i join sauder? i have close to 4yrs of exp.
_________________

this time, we play for keeps

Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 29 May 2012
Posts: 19
Location: Canada
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask University of British Columbia (Sauder) Admissions [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 14:15
Hi vinzycoolfire,

Thanks for your inquiry. Upon graduation from the UBC MBA program at Sauder, students should expect to work in senior level management positions. For specific employment statistics for our full-time MBA students, please take a look at page 4 of the attached report from our Business Careers Centre.

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

vinzycoolfire wrote:
hi,
i am an indian IT male who has written the GMAT and considering sauder for admission.
my GMAT score is 680(Q44V38). what are the job prospects if i join sauder? i have close to 4yrs of exp.

Attachments

UBC MBA - 2011 Annual Report.pdf [402.14 KiB]
Downloaded 217 times

To download please login or register as a user

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Dec 2010
Posts: 214
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 26

Re: Ask University of British Columbia (Sauder) Admissions [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 22:26
hi UBCMBA,
thanks for the reply. it is great talking to a univ rep.
however, i have some more questions.
1. for granting scholarships, how are the students judged. by their gmat score or ug performance?
2.i heard that univ. of toronto has tie-ups with local banks, so an international student can apply for
loan without providing any collateral.do sauder students have any such option?
3.how long can i search for a job after completing the course?
_________________

this time, we play for keeps

Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 29 May 2012
Posts: 19
Location: Canada
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask University of British Columbia (Sauder) Admissions [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2012, 09:35
vinzycoolfire: We’re happy to answer any questions you have, so keep them coming!

1. Students are actually judged on a combination of factors. Scholarships are awarded to students with high levels of academic, professional and personal experience. Entrance scholarships are awarded to the most outstanding 25% of incoming students each year. We recommend that you refer to the competitive recommendations outlined in the attached chart as a starting point.

Also, you may be interested to know that additional merit-based awards with values of up to $5,000 are offered throughout the program.

2. Our senior admissions officer, who will be able to answer this question, is away sick today so we’ll look into this and provide you with an answer by Monday.

3. We’re not clear what you mean by this question. Could you please elaborate? Thanks!
Attachments

File comment: UBC Full-Time MBA Admission Requirements
UBC Full-Time MBA Admission Requirements.docx [86.46 KiB]
Downloaded 91 times

To download please login or register as a user

Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 29 May 2012
Posts: 19
Location: Canada
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask University of British Columbia (Sauder) Admissions [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 15:26
Hi vinzycoolfire,

We spoke with our senior admissions officer and she recommends that you contact UBC Student Financial Assistance at +1 (604) 822-5111 in regards to your question about student loans.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Dec 2010
Posts: 214
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 26

Re: Ask University of British Columbia (Sauder) Admissions [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2012, 17:03
hi UBCMBA,
thanks for the valuable inputs.
the third point that i would require clarification is that if i don't get a job i like at the time of course completion, how long after course completion can i stay in canada before i find the right job?
_________________

this time, we play for keeps

Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 29 May 2012
Posts: 19
Location: Canada
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask University of British Columbia (Sauder) Admissions [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 10:06
hi vinzycoolfire,

International students can apply for a post-graduation work permit after completion of their studies. If a student studies in a program that is designed for two years or longer, the student can have a work permit for three years after graduation. For students who study in a program for less than two years, the length of the work permit will be determined by the length of the program. For UBC MBA students, they usually receive a permit for three years.
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 29 May 2012
Posts: 19
Location: Canada
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask University of British Columbia (Sauder) Admissions [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 10:07
For detailed information about post-graduation work permits, please visit www.students.ubc.ca/international/inter ... rk-permits
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 May 2012
Posts: 1
Location: Armenia
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
GPA: 3.3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask University of British Columbia (Sauder) Admissions [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2012, 10:06
Hi, I am Armenian male logistics professional with over 8 years of experience and am considering sauder mba or ms in business administration ( majoring logistics) . Could you please point major strengts and weaknesses of two programs MBA and ms in ba compared each to other?
1 KUDOS received
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 29 May 2012
Posts: 19
Location: Canada
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

Re: Ask University of British Columbia (Sauder) Admissions [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2012, 09:50
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hi vito24,

Thanks for your inquiry. The major difference between our MBA and MSc in Business Administration is that the MSc is aimed at students interested in research and is designed to prepare them for a PhD program and a subsequent career in academia. The MBA program is intended for students who want to shape their careers and succeed in the world of business. So the program that will be the best fit for you depends on whether you want to work in academia or business down the road. Please let us know if you have further questions about either of the programs.

vito24 wrote:
Hi, I am Armenian male logistics professional with over 8 years of experience and am considering sauder mba or ms in business administration ( majoring logistics) . Could you please point major strengts and weaknesses of two programs MBA and ms in ba compared each to other?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2011
Posts: 176
Location: Thailand
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 21

Re: Ask University of British Columbia (Sauder) Admissions [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 23:42
Hi UBCMBA,

I had a couple of questions:

1. In choosing a career track, i.e. Entrepreneurship, Consulting etc., are students only allowed to take fixed courses? Can students pick and choose courses across career tracks that they think would best allow them to get their dream job post-grad?

EDIT: To elaborate --> I note that there are specific electives that are shown for each track. Can for example, a Finance track student take elective courses from the Consulting & Strategy Management track electives?

2. Besides the internship, do students have the opportunity to take up part-time jobs on-campus or in Vancouver? By this I mean jobs that require up to 20 hours/week. Does UBC have graduate assistantships (or similar) for MBA students?

Thank you!
1 KUDOS received
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 29 May 2012
Posts: 19
Location: Canada
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

Re: Ask University of British Columbia (Sauder) Admissions [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2012, 13:51
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hi westsidah408,

Thanks very much for your inquiry. The answers to your questions follow below. If you would like to know more, please don't hesitate to contact us by email at mba@sauder.ubc.ca.

1. Students do not have to declare their career track at the beginning of the program, so they are able to take courses in different tracks before they focus on one. If you visit the following link and click on the "Career Tracks" tab, you can see the list of required modules and the electives for each track: http://www.sauder.ubc.ca/Programs/MBA/MBA_Full_Time/Program_Overview/Curriculum

2. In the full-time MBA, it will be a very intense 16 months – especially at the start of the program. We encourage our MBAs to focus on their studies, but a minority of our students work during the program and have successfully balanced their job and school work. If you enroll in the part-time MBA program, classes take place during the weekend so you would still be able to work full-time.

3. Because of the intensity of the program we don't recommend that students work during the program, and therefore do not offer teaching assistant positions or similar.

westsidah408 wrote:
Hi UBCMBA,

I had a couple of questions:

1. In choosing a career track, i.e. Entrepreneurship, Consulting etc., are students only allowed to take fixed courses? Can students pick and choose courses across career tracks that they think would best allow them to get their dream job post-grad?

EDIT: To elaborate --> I note that there are specific electives that are shown for each track. Can for example, a Finance track student take elective courses from the Consulting & Strategy Management track electives?

2. Besides the internship, do students have the opportunity to take up part-time jobs on-campus or in Vancouver? By this I mean jobs that require up to 20 hours/week. Does UBC have graduate assistantships (or similar) for MBA students?

Thank you!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2011
Posts: 176
Location: Thailand
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 21

Re: Ask University of British Columbia (Sauder) Admissions [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 04:04
UBCMBA wrote:
Hi westsidah408,

Thanks very much for your inquiry. The answers to your questions follow below. If you would like to know more, please don't hesitate to contact us by email at mba@sauder.ubc.ca.

1. Students do not have to declare their career track at the beginning of the program, so they are able to take courses in different tracks before they focus on one. If you visit the following link and click on the "Career Tracks" tab, you can see the list of required modules and the electives for each track: http://www.sauder.ubc.ca/Programs/MBA/MBA_Full_Time/Program_Overview/Curriculum

2. In the full-time MBA, it will be a very intense 16 months – especially at the start of the program. We encourage our MBAs to focus on their studies, but a minority of our students work during the program and have successfully balanced their job and school work. If you enroll in the part-time MBA program, classes take place during the weekend so you would still be able to work full-time.

3. Because of the intensity of the program we don't recommend that students work during the program, and therefore do not offer teaching assistant positions or similar.

westsidah408 wrote:
Hi UBCMBA,

I had a couple of questions:

1. In choosing a career track, i.e. Entrepreneurship, Consulting etc., are students only allowed to take fixed courses? Can students pick and choose courses across career tracks that they think would best allow them to get their dream job post-grad?

EDIT: To elaborate --> I note that there are specific electives that are shown for each track. Can for example, a Finance track student take elective courses from the Consulting & Strategy Management track electives?

2. Besides the internship, do students have the opportunity to take up part-time jobs on-campus or in Vancouver? By this I mean jobs that require up to 20 hours/week. Does UBC have graduate assistantships (or similar) for MBA students?

Thank you!



Hi UBCMBA,

Thanks for answering my questions. After checking the individual career tracks in more detail and I now realize I was merely a little confused when I first looked at it. Thank you for the clarification.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask University of British Columbia (Sauder) Admissions [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 11:19
when to exppect interview invite after submit application?
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 29 May 2012
Posts: 19
Location: Canada
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask University of British Columbia (Sauder) Admissions [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 10:59
Stachen wrote:
when to exppect interview invite after submit application?


Hi Stachen,
It depends on several factors. Our recommendation would be to email us at mba@sauder.ubc.ca about your specific situation and we can provide you with a more comprehensive answer. Please let us know if you have any other questions!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2012
Posts: 20
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: Ask University of British Columbia (Sauder) Admissions [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 01:42
Hello
I got through the program for the Fall 2013 term. I was told that the scholarship structure is being revamped.
By when will I come to know if I will be getting a scholarship from the school?
Thanks
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 29 May 2012
Posts: 19
Location: Canada
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask University of British Columbia (Sauder) Admissions [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 15:59
Hi arjunpisharody,

Would you mind emailing us directly at mba@sauder.ubc.ca so we can look into this for you? Thank you kindly!

arjunpisharody wrote:
Hello
I got through the program for the Fall 2013 term. I was told that the scholarship structure is being revamped.
By when will I come to know if I will be getting a scholarship from the school?
Thanks
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jan 2013
Posts: 23
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask University of British Columbia (Sauder) Admissions [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 05:44
any loan for indi
an?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 29 May 2012
Posts: 19
Location: Canada
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask University of British Columbia (Sauder) Admissions [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 09:34
Hi Inrocks,

For information on loans, scholarships and other forms of financial assistance, please visit http://www.sauder.ubc.ca/Programs/MBA/MBA_Full_Time/Admissions/Scholarships_Awards_and_Financial_Assistance

Inrocks wrote:
any loan for indi
an?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: Ask University of British Columbia (Sauder) Admissions   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2013, 09:34
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
4 Ask University of British Columbia Sauder School Admissions UBCMBA 43 05 Jun 2012, 21:02
Sauder (U of British Columbia 2013 - Calling All Appliciants akkane 13 25 Oct 2012, 09:31
3 Ask Boston University School of Management Admissions BostonUMBA 16 23 Jan 2012, 15:32
16 Experts publish their posts in the topic Ask Columbia GSB Admissions ColumbiaMBA 353 10 Oct 2011, 11:01
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Ask University of British Columbia Sauder School Admissions

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 44 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.