Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 13:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Asking a former supervisor for a LoR and his response

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Asking a former supervisor for a LoR and his response [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 10:57
I emailed a former supervisor that I worked on a project with and I'm not sure if his terse response is a good sign.
I can not afford to get a weak letter during this admission cycle. I thought he had a favorable impression of me so I emailed him and asked him if he was willing. I did write the email in a way that might have made it hard to say no. I was hoping that he would just ignore my email if he didn't want to do it or give some excuse which I would've been fine with.

His reply:
"Yes yes I'm happy to write it. Send emails to xxx@companynamedotcom"

I want to ensure that his LoR will really support my app because I need to shine in all areas to make up for other weak areas of my app. Any ideas on how to ensure a good LoR?
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg '11 (MMM)
WE 1: Engineer at a Food & Beverage Company
WE 2: Engineer at an Automotive Supplier
WE 3: Consultant at a Management Consulting Firm
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Asking a former supervisor for a LoR and his response [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 12:38
I'd recommend what I usually do to push along any process where the other person is unenthusiastic -- start doing some of the heavy lifting yourself.

I'd definitely write up a little cheat sheet on things that you've worked on -- its not only a legitimate reminder to him of what you've worked on (remember... he's not obsessing over your application like you are so its completely fair to remind him of all the great work you've done), but it's also a subtle reminder that "hey I'd like you to mention X, Y and Z"

I did something very similar with one of my LOR-writers.

"You can only be young once. But you can always be immature."

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 2

Re: Asking a former supervisor for a LoR and his response [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 23:59
mbaapplicant123 wrote:
I emailed a former supervisor that I worked on a project with and I'm not sure if his terse response is a good sign.
I can not afford to get a weak letter during this admission cycle. I thought he had a favorable impression of me so I emailed him and asked him if he was willing. I did write the email in a way that might have made it hard to say no. I was hoping that he would just ignore my email if he didn't want to do it or give some excuse which I would've been fine with.

His reply:
"Yes yes I'm happy to write it. Send emails to xxx@companynamedotcom"

I want to ensure that his LoR will really support my app because I need to shine in all areas to make up for other weak areas of my app. Any ideas on how to ensure a good LoR?

Hmm, that does sound quite terse!

I would recommend that you talk to him first and make sure both of you are on the same page, especially if you are looking at taking his help for multiple applications. The first step is to be sure that he is willing to set aside some time to put in a strong recommendation.

Once you know his intentions are honorable(!), make his life simpler:
1. Give him a copy of your essays
2. Tell him what 3-4 key messages you want him to convey through the recommendation
3. Share a list of achievements or anecdotes to jog his memory - or those that you want him to refer to in his recommendation
4. Ask him if he is okay with sharing what he has written with you - so you can have a discussion in case anything's missing.

If he doesn't look very interested in helping you out, perhaps you may want to identify someone who knows you well and can devote sufficient time to help you. Between the glossiness of designation and the effort put in to give you a glowing recommendation, always pick the recommender who can give you the latter! :)

Gowri N Kishore
Admissions Consultant

If you find our response valuable, please encourage us with Kudos!

Live online classes by 99th percentile instructors!
http://gmat.crackverbal.com/gmat-courses/online/gmat-live-course/

Get a FREE profile evaluation from CrackVerbal experts!
http://applications.crackverbal.com/free-resources/profile-evaluation/

Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GPA: 2.47
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 11

Re: Asking a former supervisor for a LoR and his response [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2013, 16:20
Personally I would take that response as your old boss being excited to help you out. Use that as much as you can and help them through the process.
Re: Asking a former supervisor for a LoR and his response   [#permalink] 20 Nov 2013, 16:20