Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 03:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Asking for a Deposit Deadline Extension at Schools?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 327 [1] , given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Asking for a Deposit Deadline Extension at Schools? [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2008, 11:46
1
This post received
KUDOS
Alright, I'm doing a "preemptive strike" on a question that some of you may have to deal with, and that is: "What if a school you're waiting for their decision won't let you know until *after* the deposit/matriculation deadline of your safety school?" or "What if the admit weekends of the schools I'm seriously considering is after the deposit deadline of the only other school I got into?" and questions like that.

Here's a compilation of previous year's info, but most of them seem to suggest you pay the $1k-2k deposit and then withdraw later. I personally think asking for a deadline extension nicely is probably the better way to go, since the adcoms know you're applying to multiple schools and it would be irrational for them to expect you to wait so long for their decision yet want you to make yours immediately or without considering all your options. I hope this thread will generate some more discussion and then will be "immortalized" in the knowledge vault also.

Enjoy!
Kry

123-p422570?t=58752#p422570
_________________

****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2006
Posts: 1560
Location: Ann Arbor
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Asking for a Deposit Deadline Extension at Schools? [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2008, 12:15
kry, I faced this situation last month. Cornell required a deposit by end of Feb, while Chicago and W decisions dont come out until end of March. With a ross admit on hand, (deposit deadline on May 1st), I sent an email releasing my spot at Cornell. If it had been MIT instead of Cornell, then I would have asked for an extension. I would be very hesitant to spend money on a school that I am not keen on attending. If you go the extension route, I think schools will generally work with you if you ask VERY NICELY.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Asking for a Deposit Deadline Extension at Schools? [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2008, 18:43
Thanks NC. Yeah, I think if I am lucky enough to have this dilemma (Kellogg's DAK is 4/18), I would only need to ask for a 1 week extension, and Haas should be kind enough to do that (until I try to ask for more $$... gulp! :shock: )
_________________

****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Jan 2008
Posts: 28
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Asking for a Deposit Deadline Extension at Schools? [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2008, 15:29
What would you guys say is the longest extension one should ask for?

I'm facing the difficult predicament of having to give Tepper and MIT a decision a month+ before Haas' DAH. I'd love to attend all the admit weekends and compare, but I'm starting to think I may have to just use MIT's admit weekend and compare it to my Super Saturday experience to come to a decision in time.

Is asking for a month too much?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Asking for a Deposit Deadline Extension at Schools? [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2008, 15:49
jc, I don't think asking for a month is too much, especially since your reason is legit (attending admit weekends is a very important part of your decision, and you should communicate that with the Tepper and MIT adcoms).

I don't think any school expects you to apply to every school you want to go to in one round, so many people who apply R2 will not be able to put their deposit in some of the R1 schools before attending admit weekends (or even hearing decisions) from R2 schools.

Definitely call up MIT and Tepper, and politely explain the situation to them. If they do not budge, then I would be somewhat disappointed with the office.

Do also let us know how it goes!
_________________

****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 983
Location: Hong Kong
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Asking for a Deposit Deadline Extension at Schools? [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 20:29
I succesfully got a depost deadline extension... of 1 week!! Asked for a bit more, but they only gave me an extra week.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Asking for a Deposit Deadline Extension at Schools? [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 23:29
you're kidding... that's really sucky of them...
_________________

****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Asking for a Deposit Deadline Extension at Schools? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 18:57
Just to update this thread, I got an extension from Haas by talking to the admissions director directly and he gave me a week (which should be enough time). He seemed pretty laid back about it and genuinely wanted to help me out.

Hope this thread fills with more examples. I heard Kellogg rejected nervous' request to extend the April 2nd deadline.
_________________

****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Aug 2006
Posts: 65
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Asking for a Deposit Deadline Extension at Schools? [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2008, 05:59
GSB honored my request for a 9 day extension for the R1 decision deadline. The adcom guy was quite understanding and didn't question it at all.
Re: Asking for a Deposit Deadline Extension at Schools?   [#permalink] 01 Apr 2008, 05:59
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic can I ask for deadline extension? zmender 2 21 Feb 2014, 01:44
How to ask for an offer deadline extension? mcdeluxe 1 23 May 2013, 12:38
Asking for Offer Extension - UK Schools kseel 1 11 Mar 2011, 18:58
Experts publish their posts in the topic Best Way to Ask for Deposit Extension GrantChap 1 13 Apr 2010, 06:23
When/How to ask for extension for deposit? Kdawg8 8 01 Mar 2007, 09:35
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Asking for a Deposit Deadline Extension at Schools?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.