Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:02 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [3]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GPA: 3.75
WE:Account Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Re: Asking for a Deposit Deadline Extension at Schools? [#permalink]
Thanks NC. Yeah, I think if I am lucky enough to have this dilemma (Kellogg's DAK is 4/18), I would only need to ask for a 1 week extension, and Haas should be kind enough to do that (until I try to ask for more $$... gulp! :shock: )
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
What would you guys say is the longest extension one should ask for?

I'm facing the difficult predicament of having to give Tepper and MIT a decision a month+ before Haas' DAH. I'd love to attend all the admit weekends and compare, but I'm starting to think I may have to just use MIT's admit weekend and compare it to my Super Saturday experience to come to a decision in time.

Is asking for a month too much?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
jc, I don't think asking for a month is too much, especially since your reason is legit (attending admit weekends is a very important part of your decision, and you should communicate that with the Tepper and MIT adcoms).

I don't think any school expects you to apply to every school you want to go to in one round, so many people who apply R2 will not be able to put their deposit in some of the R1 schools before attending admit weekends (or even hearing decisions) from R2 schools.

Definitely call up MIT and Tepper, and politely explain the situation to them. If they do not budge, then I would be somewhat disappointed with the office.

Do also let us know how it goes!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
I succesfully got a depost deadline extension... of 1 week!! Asked for a bit more, but they only gave me an extra week.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
you're kidding... that's really sucky of them...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Just to update this thread, I got an extension from Haas by talking to the admissions director directly and he gave me a week (which should be enough time). He seemed pretty laid back about it and genuinely wanted to help me out.

Hope this thread fills with more examples. I heard Kellogg rejected nervous' request to extend the April 2nd deadline.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
GSB honored my request for a 9 day extension for the R1 decision deadline. The adcom guy was quite understanding and didn't question it at all.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Send PM
I've got to bump this thread up a few years!

How exactly does one ask "nicely" for an extension? Would you suggest phoning someone of the Adcom? Or emailing? I've been told (by TWO former bosses) that I come off as very cold or demanding in emails. I've gotta work on that, but in the meantime, how does one nicely ask for an extension? What should I say? The real reason is just that I am waiting for other schools to give me their decisions on admission and scholarships.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.6
Quote:

How exactly does one ask "nicely" for an extension? Would you suggest phoning someone of the Adcom? Or emailing? I've been told (by TWO former bosses) that I come off as very cold or demanding in emails. I've gotta work on that, but in the meantime, how does one nicely ask for an extension? What should I say? The real reason is just that I am waiting for other schools to give me their decisions on admission and scholarships.

Second that! Any insights out there? Should I wait until the last week to request the extension, or preemptively request? Anyone has experience with requesting extensions from Kellogg?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
laughableturtle wrote:
Quote:

Second that! Any insights out there? Should I wait until the last week to request the extension, or preemptively request? Anyone has experience with requesting extensions from Kellogg?

Hey, I emailed a contact from the Adcom. I just decided to be honest... it's not like they're going to rescind their admissions offer. The worst that will happen is they say no, and you'd maybe have to pay the deposit or take a gamble. I explained to my contact that I am waiting for admissions and/or scholarship decisions from other schools. I also said that I am still visiting the other schools that I applied to in order to ensure I choose to enroll with the best possible fit. Then the best thing that could happen is they throw a bunch of money at you to get you to stop waiting for everyone else.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.6
ShoeBunny wrote:
laughableturtle wrote:
Quote:

Hey, I emailed a contact from the Adcom. I just decided to be honest... it's not like they're going to rescind their admissions offer. The worst that will happen is they say no, and you'd maybe have to pay the deposit or take a gamble. I explained to my contact that I am waiting for admissions and/or scholarship decisions from other schools. I also said that I am still visiting the other schools that I applied to in order to ensure I choose to enroll with the best possible fit. Then the best thing that could happen is they throw a bunch of money at you to get you to stop waiting for everyone else.

how did that work for you? Did you get more money, an extension (how long?), both or neither?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
I appreciate this thread because I got placed in this position yesterday by my 3rd choice school. It was my last submitted application (by 2 months!) and while I am excited that they got back to me quickly, their response deadline is before most R2 results. I was not looking forward to buying the insurance party, so I will try to request a deadline extension, though I feel confident they put their deadline where they did on purpose. They asked during both the application and interview where else I was applying.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
laughableturtle wrote:
ShoeBunny wrote:
Quote:

how did that work for you? Did you get more money, an extension (how long?), both or neither?[/quote]

Who in the admissions office did you ask? A particular role, a personal contact, the admissions general mail box?

I am looking for a two week extension while I wait to hear back from another program. I figured that full honestly is the best policy and a few comments about how much I really enjoyed their welcome weekend couldn't hurt. But, I don't even know who to ask about the extension.

Thanks! :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
ShoeBunny wrote:
laughableturtle wrote:
how did that work for you? Did you get more money, an extension (how long?), both or neither?

No more money, unfortunately. That would have definitely made the decision way easier! She replied within the day and offered me a full four weeks' extension. The date was exactly 28 days later, so I assume they must have some sort of process or approved amount of time to offer extensions, probably no later than the deadline of the next round's decision notifications.

But you should definitely go for it if you really need to.

It is great to hear that extensions are actually granted. Who in the admissions office did you ask? A particular role, a personal contact, the admissions general mail box?

I am looking for a two week extension while I wait to hear back from another program. I figured that full honestly is the best policy and a few comments about how much I really enjoyed their welcome weekend couldn't hurt. But, I don't even know who to ask about the extension.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
babyface44 wrote:
It is great to hear that extensions are actually granted. Who in the admissions office did you ask? A particular role, a personal contact, the admissions general mail box?

Definitely try to play up the love you have for them. Stroke their egos and they might stroke you back somehow. If they really want you badly enough, they will dig into their pockets to figure out how to get you to choose them (maybe lol).

I emailed an associate dean of admissions directly. I had her contact information from her business card, which I'd gotten at an information session. If you have a specific time frame, maybe mention that too. Two weeks isn't all that long.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM