Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 02:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Asking interviewer for feedback post-mortem?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 19

Asking interviewer for feedback post-mortem? [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 12:30
This post received
KUDOS
So, I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I'm getting the feeling that I will come close but ultimately will not make it into b-school this year (very disappointing). Even if I am ahead of myself, I'm sure there's someone else out there wondering the same thing.

My question is: what do you guys think about asking a student interviewer for feedback on the interview?
1) I've already been dinged at the school
2) I sent a thank you email and got a polite response back the day before decisions were released
3) There is a chance I will re-apply
4) I fear that I made a mistake in my interview, but I don't know if I'm being paranoid or not. I've done mock interviews with people who should know (former student adcoms, alumn interviewers, etc.), and they all say I did great, but I'm skeptical, since many of the same people thought I would get multiple admits....

Basically, I was thinking I could write my interviewer back and ask if she would be willing to share 2-3 points of constructive criticism. I realize the schools might frown upon this or even forbid students from responding. Is it worth a try or could I hurt myself severely if I decide to reapply?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Emory 2012
WE 1: 1 yr proprietary trading
WE 2: 2 yrs global ibank in municipal derivatives
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 49 [1] , given: 11

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Asking interviewer for feedback post-mortem? [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 12:55
This post received
KUDOS
I actually thought about doing this with Booth. I know for certain that I had a great interview with my interviewer. We even sent multiple emails back and forth after (he wrote something to the effect of I really enjoyed meeting you, please keep in touch, let me know if you want help with course selections, etc.). I actually wrote him a post-mortem, saying that I didn't get in, but thanks again for your help. I didn't ask for criticism.

First off, the interview is only one component of your application. And, in most places, the interviewer is not privy to the rest of your application. I conduct alumni interviews for JHU and sometimes I'm surprised by who gets in and who doesn't. Last year, the girl I thought was best wound up on the waitlist. The point is that your interviewer may not have any useful feedback for you, especially if it's a student or an alum.

Second, the schools won't give out much info on why you didn't get in. I don't think it can hurt to ask them, especially if it's phrased in the context of "I'm planning on re-applying next year, how can I make my application stronger"? I actually think this is your best shot. But, I doubt you'll get much other than "we had a very strong applicant pool this year and we can't admit everyone".

The other thing is.... You're not rejected yet!!! You had interviews at these places. Maybe you'll get in.

http://www.mbavolunteers.org - check it out

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Asking interviewer for feedback post-mortem?   [#permalink] 17 Mar 2010, 12:55