Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 00:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

assessment of finance guy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

assessment of finance guy [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2009, 13:11
I wanted to get a brutal assessment of my profile for business school and what my perceived strengths and weaknesses are:

720 GMAT (84% Q, 92% V)
GPA 3.8 (4.0 in major) from large state school, strong EC’s in school won a leadership scholarship and award
3 years WE at large commercial bank (top 3 by assets), been promoted once, no mgmt experience but good team experience
EC: big brothers big sister 2 years, toastmasters president, on the board for new org focused on service, networking and learning to young professionals in the finance industry
Want to stay in finance, management in large corporate/commercial banking
How I differentiate myself from other finance people – work with middle market companies (< $500 million in revenues), more interaction with top level management at smaller co’s (vs. IB) but also obviously smaller deal size

I‘m applying to H/S/K/Chi/Texas-Austin. I will probably spend my career in TX so if I leave for school I want it to be top 5. Any help you could provide on differentiating myself with so many finance applicants and weaknesses I should be aware of. Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 526 [0], given: 0

Re: assessment of finance guy [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2009, 13:37
There really isn't a one-size-fits-all piece of advice I can give you (because if there was, it defeats the whole purpose of 'differentiating yourself' in the first place).

It's a combination of what you say and how you say it in each individual essay, the mix of material across all essays, what your recommenders say that complement or add to what you've already mentioned in your essays, and how all of that narrative matches your actual resume/raw data. If this sounds awfully vague, it's because how YOU differentiate yourself will be different than how another finance dude does it (even if he has the same resume). That's the point -- finding a way to get the adcom to see you as an individual first. Which is hard - it not only takes some keen insight into who you are, but also a lot of work and time (i.e. it isn't "plug and play" with your applications -- it's more likely a process where your early iterations won't look at all like your final drafts because it's a process, where you discover, uncover, hit dead ends, and so forth and through trial-and-error you hopefully find a narrative that works best for you).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: assessment of finance guy   [#permalink] 03 Jun 2009, 13:37