Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:19 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1139 [125]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [37]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [13]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 884 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Asset allocators create portfolios, often in the form of mutual funds, [#permalink]
Bookmarks
IMO B

Asset allocators create portfolios, often in the form of mutual funds, with the intention to turn in good results in both “bull” and “bear” markets.
(A) with the intention --> with + Noun + to ... is unidiomatic. with + noun phrase or with + noun + that clause are better
(B) the intention of which is -->the best: which correctly modifies for mutual funds, the intention of which is grammatically correct
(C) intended --> intended is wrongly implied in passive for asset allocators
(D) and intending --> ungrammatical parallelism
(E) so intended as -->unidiomatic
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2918 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Re: Asset allocators create portfolios, often in the form of mutual funds, [#permalink]
Kudos
Minheequang wrote:
IMO B

Asset allocators create portfolios, often in the form of mutual funds, with the intention to turn in good results in both “bull” and “bear” markets.
(A) with the intention --> with + Noun + to ... is unidiomatic. with + noun phrase or with + noun + that clause are better
(B) the intention of which is -->the best: which correctly modifies for mutual funds, the intention of which is grammatically correct

I think the underlined section should modify "portfolios" - the author would use other ways if he wished to modify "mutual funds".
Now, "intended" in C, a past participle, nicely modifies "portfolios".
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [4]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Kudos
Hi daagh,
thanks for explanations.

I would like to point out few examples of correct usage of the idiom "intention". The source is Oxford Dictionary:

intention / noun
[C,U] ~ (of doing sth) | ~ (to do sth) | ~ (that...) what you intend or plan to do; your aim:
I have no intention of going to the wedding.
* He has announced his intention to retire.
* It was not my intention that she should suffer.
* He left England with the intention of travelling in Africa.
* I have every intention of paying her back what I owe her.
* The original intention was to devote three months to the project.
* She's full of good intentions but they rarely work out.
* I did it with the best (of) intentions (= meaning to help), but I only succeeded in annoying them.

So I would disagree that the idiom "intention to" is wrong. I think you wanted to say that the way it is used in A is wrong.
For example if it were "Asset allocators create portfolios, often in the form of mutual funds, with the intention of turning in good results in both “bull” and “bear” markets." it would be perfectly fine as for me.

Please let me know your thoughts.

thanks.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Pkit
You are perfectly right. In the given context - intention to turn in -does not fit in> Pairwise it may be acceptable as you have clearly made out
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 344 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
C is better than A because

"Intended" ... verb form... correctly modifies the verb "create".... whereas "with the intension" is wordy, and "intension" in the noun form. According to Manhattan advance sentence correction section convert nouns to verbs to make sentence precise and short
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Send PM
Bookmarks
According to me, there are two problems with A.
The major one is that A is changing the implied meaning of the sentence. What is intended to give good results? Portfolios, or asset allocators? Answer is portfolios. A implies that the allocators themselves, not the portfolios, will turn in good results. That doesn't make sense.
Another problem is the idiom- intention of turning in is better than intention to turn in, idiom-wise.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Send PM
Kudos
seofah wrote:
Minheequang wrote:
IMO B

I think the underlined section should modify "portfolios" - the author would use other ways if he wished to modify "mutual funds".
Now, "intended" in C, a past participle, nicely modifies "portfolios".

This is the key to OA. Nice explanation on the below link:
https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/pos ... tml#p28192
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2218 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Hi egmat GMATNinja AjiteshArun

Please suggest why option C is better than option A other than the idiom reason

Thanks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [7]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
[quote="tenaman10"]Asset allocators create portfolios, often in the form of mutual funds, with the intention to turn in good results in both “bull” and “bear” markets.

(A) with the intention

(B) the intention of which is

(C) intended

(D) and intending"

(E) so intended as

choice A
the position of "with the intention to..." in the sentence makes it an adverb of the sentence. this adverb is special because it modifies the main clause and refers to the subject of the main clause. normal adverd modidie the preceding clause and dose not refer to the subject. so, the meaning of choice A is " allocators intend to turn in good result". this meaning makes no sense. "allocators turn into good result" is absurd.

some phrases which work as an adverb and refer to the subject include comma+doing or comma+do-ed.

I have passed gmat, opening the chance to get into havard.
I run out of this problem, afraid that it will take me a lot of time

the phrase both working as an adverb and refering to subject should be close to the subject because it refers to the subject. if the sentence is long, this phrase must be close to the subject, at the beginning of the sentence or after subject and a comma.

the phrase only working as an adverb can have position which is flexible, before, in the middle of at the end of the sentence.

we should know these special adverbs refering to subject. at first, you feel hard. but it is simple. the only thing to remember is their position should be close to the subject if the sentence is long.

adverbs not refering to the subject of the sentence is normal adverb

I eat a lot in the morning. in the morning, I eat a lot. "in the morning" is normal adverb and its position is flexible.

choice B
"the intention of which" means "the intention of the fund". "intention of the fund" is absurd.
only human or animal can intend.
the correct meaning is that someone intend that this fund will turn in good result. english has an idiom to encode this meaning. in the dictionary, we see, "intended to do something".

I am intended to lead this country
this means my people intend that I will lead this country.

takeaway. know adverbs refering to the subject.

Originally posted by thangvietnam on 06 Apr 2019, 01:54.
Last edited by thangvietnam on 29 Aug 2021, 01:34, edited 4 times in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 836 [0]
Given Kudos: 333
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
In A Preposition" with the intention" presents intention of asset allocators whereas " intended" rightly modifies portfolios in C .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
"With the intention to" vs "intended to" --> What's the best way to decide amongst these?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
sdfruis wrote:
"With the intention to" vs "intended to" --> What's the best way to decide amongst these?

sdfruis, meaning. The way that these phrases have been used, they convey different meaning and one of them is better than the other.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
gmat1393 wrote:
Hi egmat GMATNinja AjiteshArun

Please suggest why option C is better than option A other than the idiom reason

Thanks
With the intention of is far more common than with the intention to, but if we have to use something else, we could go with a meaning call.

1. Option A isn't very clear: it could mean either that portfolios have an intention to turn in good results or that asset allocators have an intention to turn in good results. We now have to ask ourselves whether (a) the allocators want to turn in good results or (b) portfolios are meant to turn in good results. For example:

The engineers created a software package with the intention to help the company's clients track resource utilization.

It's better to associate the desired result with the software package (what is the purpose of the software package?) rather than the engineers who created that package. Otherwise, we are left with just "a software package" in general. And who knows, maybe the engineers were just doing their jobs, and weren't thinking about the company's clients at all while making the program. :)

The engineers created a software package intended to help the company's clients track resource utilization.

2. A portfolio is just a bunch of financial assets. Some portfolios will give us good returns in both types of markets, but others won't. Therefore, it's probably better in this case to talk about asset allocators in general than to talk about portfolios in general.

With the intention... Asset allocators create portfolios.
vs.
Asset allocators create portfolios intended to...

3. Intended is the better way to express this idea. To understand this, let's reword the modifier in C so that the usage of intended is clear:

Asset allocators create portfolios that are intended to turn in good results in both “bull” and “bear” markets.

This is very different from saying that something intended (verb) to do something. The intended to we see in this case is a participle. It means that portfolios are designed to achieve something, not that they have an "intention" to achieve something.

Option C is therefore better from a meaning perspective and is also shorter than the first option.

HiAjiteshArun

I have 2 queries :
On A:

(A) with the intention
(C) intended

As intention should refer to Subject ( some people) i.e. Asset allocators . A refers clearly AA did something with intention.with the intention doesn't refer to mutual funds or portfolios as both are non living things.
But in C it clearly wrongly refers to mutual funds or portfolios ( Verb +ED modifier)

Example: I used this sentence , long one, with the intention to give an example
I used this sentence, intended to give an example.
intended refers to sentence. But sentence can not have an intention. I have intention . So verb ed should not make sense.
Please correct

ii. in your explanation you considered intended refers to portfolio but i. Could not intended wrongly refer to mutual funds? Noun1, modifier1 noun2, verb ed modifer2. Verb+ ed modifier can refer to noun2 or noun1 .

Please suggest. AjiteshArun :please:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [1]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mSKR wrote:
HiAjiteshArun

I have 2 queries :
On A:

(A) with the intention
(C) intended

As intention should refer to Subject ( some people) i.e. Asset allocators . A refers clearly AA did something with intention.with the intention doesn't refer to mutual funds or portfolios as both are non living things.
But in C it clearly wrongly refers to mutual funds or portfolios ( Verb +ED modifier)

Example: I used this sentence , long one, with the intention to give an example
I used this sentence, intended to give an example.
intended refers to sentence. But sentence can not have an intention. I have intention . So verb ed should not make sense.
Please correct

ii. in your explanation you considered intended refers to portfolio but i. Could not intended wrongly refer to mutual funds? Noun1, modifier1 noun2, verb ed modifer2. Verb+ ed modifier can refer to noun2 or noun1 .

Please suggest. AjiteshArun :please:

Hi mSKR,

That's one of the points I tried to make in my previous post. We don't want to make the intended idea go back to anything other than portfolios.

A portfolio is a set of stocks (or other instruments). Not all portfolios deliver good returns across market/business cycles. This is one of the reasons why something like "Asset allocators (with the intention to do something) create portfolios" is unlikely to be correct. They don't create a portfolio. They create a particular type of portfolio.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 180
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: IIMA PGPX'23
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja DmitryFarber MartyTargetTestPrep

Could you please guide why option-A is incorrect? I couldn't find either a definite or logical issue in this option
comma + [WITH] structure can perfectly modify the verb - create

Meaning (option-A): Asset allocators create something with the intention to turn in good results.

How come Option-C is better, in which a past participle can modify either "portfolios" or "asset allocators"

Regards
Rohit
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [2]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos