Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 23:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Assistance required in profile evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Assistance required in profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 03:45
Here is my background:
1. GMAT Score 680- Q49 V33
2. Always scored 75% or plus in graduation, 12th and 10th
3. 7 years of work experience in Investment Banking. Responsible for origination and execution of M&A deals. Currently leading team of 4 persons. I have team handling experience of 5 years. Have independently closed 2 deals and sourced more than 10 M&A deals for my department
4. Part of Leadership team at ICICI Bank, India
5. Indian Nationality.
6. Age 29 years
7. No extracirricular but have always excelled in job and got timely promotions
8. I can get strong recommendations from my boss and my clients
9. No exposure to community service but recently got associated with Grameen Foundation. Though yet to devote any personal time.

Goals post MBA:
- Private Equity
- strategy consulting

My top choice schools are: Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Insead, LBS.
I am worried that my gmat score is low in verbal and also overall score is below 700.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

Re: Assistance required in profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 15:23
Expert's post
Honestly, I think you will have a hard time getting into your target schools. Your GMAT score (okay but not amazing), Indian background (which unfortunately puts you in a very competitive group), and lack of ECs will all make it hard for you.

Also, why are you looking at getting an MBA now, after being in banking for seven years? While this fact doesn't automatically kill your candidacy, a much more typical banker profile is to apply with 2-3 years of experience. You will really need to convince admissions officers why you want an MBA now, when many of your peers went off to b-school several years ago.

I would suggest taking another crack at the GMAT and aiming slightly lower in terms of where you want to get in. Especially if you want to get into strategy consulting, you can go to a school like Darden or Fuqua and still have a shot at the top tier of MC firms.

Good luck!
Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews