Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [10]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 1422
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GPA: 3.77
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: In an effort to reduce the amount of fat and the number of calories th [#permalink]
Kudos
Conclusion: New priority will help citizens to increase the length and to have quality life.
Premise 1: Priority to look good and avoid junk food.
premise 2: making significant change in diet.

A: New info, link between premise 1 and conclusion. - So far competitive.
B: Out of scope, there may be other options but my premise and conclusion do not allow me to think beyond cheese burst pizza and xtra large burger.
C: Trying to fool, Yes you are right, there are various combinations available but i am not interested.
D: is it? why they recently discovered this. Does time of discovery important? i guess no.
E: Already mention in premise, no new info so do not qualify for assumption.

So, A

Hope it Helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: In an effort to reduce the amount of fat and the number of calories th [#permalink]
Kudos
A it is.
For them staying in shape and looking fit now take precedence over eating foods that are filling and that taste good Why else would it take precedence over the other, if they intend to achieve the same purpose ? So A is the hidden assumption.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 392 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
veenu08 wrote:
In an effort to reduce the amount of fat and the number of calories that they consume, many citizens of the United States are making significant changes in
their diets. For them staying in shape and looking fit now take precedence over eating foods that are filling and that taste good. It is likely that if they maintain these new priorities with consistent regard for other health issues, the length and quality of their lives will increase significantly.

Which one of the following is an assumption upon which the argument is based?

A. Eating foods that are filling and tastes good is inconsistent with
staying in shape and looking fit.
B. Controlling the quality of one’s life requires more than mere
dietary adjustments.
C. A combination of diet and exercise is necessary if one wishes to
stay in shape and look fit.
D. Many citizens of the United States have only recently discovered
the importance of diet to living a longer, healthier life.
E. Staying in shape and looking good are current goals for most
citizens of the United States

I am confused between
A and D

Well, I'd go with D. Can explain my line of reasoning if my answer is correct.

Please post the OA.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
I think it is B . The conclusion of the argument is : "It is likely that if they maintain these new priorities with consistent regard for other health issues, the length and quality of their lives will increase significantly."

If dietary adjustments are sufficient the conclusion wouldn't be talking about "priorities with consistent regard for other health issues". So B must be an assumption to arrive at the conclusion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
Kudos
veenu08 wrote:
In an effort to reduce the amount of fat and the number of calories that they consume, many citizens of the United States are making significant changes in
their diets. For them staying in shape and looking fit now take precedence over eating foods that are filling and that taste good. It is likely that if they maintain these new priorities with consistent regard for other health issues, the length and quality of their lives will increase significantly.

dietary adjustments.

I am confused between
A and D

Straight A

We can use the pre-thinking technique here. This is how I read the question stimulus:

In an effort to reduce...changes in diet --> Ok. So people, to reduce fat and calories people, are making changes in their diet.
For them...good --> Looking at the previous and this statement, I gather that foods that are filling and that taste good are in some way related to unhealthy habits of eating.
It is likely...significantly --> Bingo! this statement confirms that foods that are filling and that taste good imply that having such food will not result in staying in shape and looking fit

Assumption: Something that links foods that are filling and that taste good to unhealthy eating habits.

With these in mind when you read the options. Option A fits perfectly. Hence true.

Hope its clear :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
rockstar23 wrote:
veenu08 wrote:

dietary adjustments.

I am confused between
A and D

Straight A

We can use the pre-thinking technique here. This is how I read the question stimulus:

In an effort to reduce...changes in diet --> Ok. So people, to reduce fat and calories people, are making changes in their diet.
For them...good --> Looking at the previous and this statement, I gather that foods that are filling and that taste good are in some way related to unhealthy habits of eating.
It is likely...significantly --> Bingo! this statement confirms that foods that are filling and that taste good imply that having such food will not result in staying in shape and looking fit

Assumption: Something that links foods that are filling and that taste good to unhealthy eating habits.

With these in mind when you read the options. Option A fits perfectly. Hence true.

Hope its clear :)

A hardly fits here. Negating A doesn't affect our conclusion hence A cannot be the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
A is correct
Conclusion is based on the premise that staying in good shape takes precedence.

A says that these two things are consist ent together. Means you can eat tasty food. This will clearly hurt the conclusion that people will stay healthy

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
Thanks for posts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT Date: 10-01-2013
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
In an effort to reduce the amount of fat and the number of calories that they consume, many citizens of the United States are making significant changes in their diets. For them staying in shape and looking fit now take precedence over eating foods that are filling and that taste good. It is likely that if they maintain these new priorities with consistent regard for other health issues, the length and quality of their lives will increase significantly.

A. Eating foods that are filling and tastes good is inconsistent with staying in shape and looking fit. - Argument does not need this assumption. Say tasty food = healthy food: taking precedence does not mean one instead of the other. The condition would be satisfied by consuming "tasty and healthy" food. If inconsistent, the choice is obvious.
B. Controlling the quality of one’s life requires more than mere dietary adjustments. - Weakens the argument
C. A combination of diet and exercise is necessary if one wishes to stay in shape and look fit. - Weakens the argument
D. Many citizens of the United States have only recently discovered the importance of diet to living a longer, healthier life. - If not true, the 1st sentence does not make sense. This is because many citizens "are making" not "have made" or any other tense.
E. Staying in shape and looking good are current goals for most citizens of the United States - It does not matter why the citizens are eating healthy. The conclusion only says that it will result in better quality of lives.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-25-2013
GPA: 3.66
Send PM
Even I was confused between A and D.

But if we try the negation technique, answer is undoubtedly A... :) :wink:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
gwu wrote:
I think answer should be A, conclusion states that

Length and quality of life is improved with health eating and exercising. Though staying in shapes seems like a secondary benefit to the author of the argument.

staying in shape and looking fit. - part of the author assumption
dietary adjustments. - negate the argument
stay in shape and look fit. - same as A ( one can improve the Lenght & quality of living without staying in shape or look fit)
the importance of diet to living a longer, healthier life. - doesn't address the conclusion
citizens of the United States - same as D

I completely agree with you. In order to reduce the fat, its very important to take care of the food that you eating, and also the ingredients that are mixed. Because there are some ingredients that increase the fat. Along with it, regular exercise is must.
-------------------
https://www.cellublue.com/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
Send PM
Hi abhimahna.

Kindly mark the OA as A on this one.

Thanks! :)

veenu08 wrote:

dietary adjustments.

I am confused between
A and D
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
Adi93 wrote:
Hi abhimahna.

Kindly mark the OA as A on this one.

Thanks! :)

Hey

This is done. Thanks :)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
GMAT Focus 1:
615 Q85 V80 DI76
GMAT 1: 490 Q42 V17
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 4: 610 Q48 V25
Send PM
How would you negate option D and why is D not the answer?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts