Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 20:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Assumption-- Singing in the rain umbrella

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 14

Assumption-- Singing in the rain umbrella [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2013, 01:12
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

27% (02:42) correct 73% (01:22) wrong based on 431 sessions
Singing in the Rain Umbrella Corp. plans to institute a marketing campaign in
which it sells umbrellas at the exits of subway stations during rainy weather. The
umbrellas will be sold at a price that is slightly higher than normal. The company
thinks the sales of these higher - priced umbrellas will be greater than normal
sales of umbrellas, because the purchasers of these umbrellas will be forced to
buy them if they do not want to get wet.

The author assumes which of the following about the purchasers of the umbrellas
in predicting the sales of the umbrellas?

A. Customers who do not feel immediate pressure to purchase will
not do so.
B. Normally priced umbrellas are not profitable for singing in the
Rain Umbrellas Corp.
C. Very few people buy Singing in the Rain’s normally priced
umbrellas.
D. Singing in the Rain Umbrellas Corp. will have to stop selling
normally priced umbrellas when it starts selling higher priced
umbrellas.
E. Most potential customers of Singing in the Rain’s higher priced
umbrellas will not have acquired an umbrella previously.

Confused between
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A and E
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.77
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 204

Re: Assumption-- Singing in the rain umbrella [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2013, 01:31
I would go for option E.

The company is assuming that those customers will surely buy high priced umbrellas that did not hold any previously to avoid being wet in rain. So, the customers will be left with no option but to buy them. It will be like a mandate for them to buy them if they do not hold currently anything that can prevent them getting wet in rain.

In my opinion A does not form a good assumption if the company is planning to increase the sales of its high priced umbrellas. It basically does the opposite. If a customer does not feel like the immediate need to buy it, he/she won't buy it and thus, it won't do any good to the company's objective of increasing the sale. So, this does not seem like a valid assumption.

Hope it helps in some way to clear up your understanding.

Best Regards,
RS

Intern
Intern
GPA: 4
WE: Military Officer (Transportation)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 10

Re: Assumption-- Singing in the rain umbrella [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2013, 01:45
ans E
is what author assumes.

other options are not relevant
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 290

Kudos [?]: 2440 [1] , given: 693

Re: Assumption-- Singing in the rain umbrella [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2013, 10:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 51 [5] , given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Assumption-- Singing in the rain umbrella [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2013, 11:16
This post received
KUDOS
It should be A ,When down to two options always try the negation technique. Although the conclusion is worded in a way to cause some confusion b/w normal sales and normal umbrellas.

Conclusion: The company thinks the sales of these higher - priced umbrellas will be greater than normal
sales of umbrellas
Note:Not normal umbrella.

Premise: the purchasers of these umbrellas will be forced to buy them if they do not want to get wet

which it sells umbrellas at the exits of subway stations during rainy weather. The
umbrellas will be sold at a price that is slightly higher than normal. The company

not do so. (Negate) But the ones that do feel the need will do so won't they. So the sales of the umbrella will rise
Rain Umbrellas Corp. Totally irrelevant.

umbrellas. Not relevant
umbrellas. No way this can be an assumption.
Hmm, a close choice but if you negate it this becomes. Some potential customers will have acquired an umbrella previously. . Does this destroy my argument ? Not definitely. Also if you look at it from other perspective, Even if i have the umbrella, i might not be carrying it with me, So my purchase really is not affected by the fact that i have an umbrella or not.

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 51 [1] , given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Assumption-- Singing in the rain umbrella [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2013, 11:18
This post received
KUDOS
@carcass are you sure of the OA ?

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 290

Kudos [?]: 2440 [1] , given: 693

Re: Assumption-- Singing in the rain umbrella [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2013, 13:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ramannanda9 wrote:

mmmm

at closer inspection I have to admit that A fits best in this scenario. I read the question from my smartphone and is not the best way to pick the best choice, especially if you are a commuter in that moment :roll:

Go for A. Apologize to the students for the inconvenience

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Assumption-- Singing in the rain umbrella [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2013, 21:28
Ramannanda9

When you negated A that should destroy the conclusion for that option to be correct.
Your negated sentence is supporting it.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-25-2013
GPA: 3.66

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 30

Re: Assumption-- Singing in the rain umbrella [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2013, 11:29
suntwin wrote:
Ramannanda9

When you negated A that should destroy the conclusion for that option to be correct.
Your negated sentence is supporting it.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Ya, I am confused about the same thing. I thought negating a statement meant that it destroys the conclusion but here it is supporting the conclusion.

Can someone please elaborate...??

Strive for Excellence....!!!!!

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 243

Premium Member
Re: Assumption-- Singing in the rain umbrella [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 18:31
veenu08 wrote:

not do so.
Rain Umbrellas Corp.
umbrellas.
umbrellas.

Confused between
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A and E

Very curious to know the source of this problem.Any idea?
I did not choose E because If you don't have a umbrella previously you may be inclined to buy one ,but will you be inclined to buy one at a higher price than normal without any urgency or pressure, I doubt that.

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Director
Director
Affiliations: University of Florida
Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 629

Re: Assumption-- Singing in the rain umbrella [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2013, 06:35
When i paraphrased Answer A it made more sense to me since it had a double negative in that "who do not feel" and "will not do so". Paraphrased in the affirmative, the answer would read like this" If a customer fells pressured they will buy." I don't think this is negating the answer choice, but merely rephrasing it in the affirmative since it has a double negative.

A. Customers who do not feel immediate pressure to purchase will not do so.

Since the last sentence of the question stem talks about forcing customers to buy an umbrella (will be forced to
buy them if they do not want to get wet.)
, i think the Answer A hits it home with the assumption.

Got Kudos? :) Tis better to give than receive | ANALYSIS OF MOST DIFFICULT QUESTION TYPES
Need motivation? check out this video or this one | "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
100 HARDEST CR QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST SC QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST PS QUESTIONS| 25 HARDEST QUESTIONS | 225 RC PASSAGES W/ TIMER!!!
PS QUESTION DIRECTORY|DS QUESTION DIRECTORY | SC QUESTION DIRECTORY | CR QUESTION DIRECTORY | RC QUESTION DIRECTORY

BEST OVERALL QUANT BOOK FOR THE MONEY | MAXIMIZE YOUR STUDY TIME

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Assumption-- Singing in the rain umbrella [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2013, 04:16
avohden wrote:
When i paraphrased Answer A it made more sense to me since it had a double negative in that "who do not feel" and "will not do so". Paraphrased in the affirmative, the answer would read like this" If a customer fells pressured they will buy." I don't think this is negating the answer choice, but merely rephrasing it in the affirmative since it has a double negative.

A. Customers who do not feel immediate pressure to purchase will not do so.

Since the last sentence of the question stem talks about forcing customers to buy an umbrella (will be forced to
buy them if they do not want to get wet.)
, i think the Answer A hits it home with the assumption.

Correct! The option A does not state that all people will not buy it, if it had said so then it would not be correct. Option A says that people who do not see a need will not buyt it which means that other people who feel the need might buy it.

Manager
Manager
WE: Design (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 38

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Assumption-- Singing in the rain umbrella [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2013, 06:51
Conclusion: The company thinks the sales of priced umbrellas at a key location will be greater than normal sales of umbrellas
Premise: the purchasers of these umbrellas will be forced to buy them if they do not want to get wet.
Here the author assumes that some people will buy umbrellas if they do not want to get wet even if the price of umbrella is higher, the people who buy the umbrella might also already own a umbrella but are not carrying it at that moment.
Choice A says "Customers who do not feel immediate pressure to purchase will not do so" meaning people who are ready to get wet and can wait to buy a cheaper umbrella will not buy the costly umbrellas but the opposite is not true; people who are not OK with getting wet will buy the umbrellas
Choice E says Most potential customers will not have acquired an umbrella previously, but people who are ok with getting wet will still not buy the costly umbrellas.
So A is the preffered choice....

Kaustubh

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-16-2014
WE: Design (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 74

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Assumption-- Singing in the rain umbrella [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2014, 06:25
carcass wrote:
ramannanda9 wrote:

mmmm

at closer inspection I have to admit that A fits best in this scenario. I read the question from my smartphone and is not the best way to pick the best choice, especially if you are a commuter in that moment :roll:

Carcass I have a doubt here. Let's say there are a 100 customers in total. 70 are feeling compelled to buy because they don't want to get wet and 30 and not feeling compelled to buy.

Option A says that the assumption/unstated premise is that those 30 people will not buy since they're not compelled to do so.

But I don't think it's correct. The conclusion that the sales will rise i.e. those 70 people will buy the umbrella is in no way based on whether the remaining 30 people buy an umbrella or not. They might be compelled to buy or they might not. Point is that THOSE 70 PEOPLE ARE DEFINITELY GOING TO BUY. Isn't it?

Please suggest.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 31

Re: Assumption-- Singing in the rain umbrella [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2014, 07:36
gauravkaushik8591 wrote:
carcass wrote:
ramannanda9 wrote:

mmmm

Carcass I have a doubt here. Let's say there are a 100 customers in total. 70 are feeling compelled to buy because they don't want to get wet and 30 and not feeling compelled to buy.

Option A says that the assumption/unstated premise is that those 30 people will not buy since they're not compelled to do so.

But I don't think it's correct. The conclusion that the sales will rise i.e. those 70 people will buy the umbrella is in no way based on whether the remaining 30 people buy an umbrella or not. They might be compelled to buy or they might not. Point is that THOSE 70 PEOPLE ARE DEFINITELY GOING TO BUY. Isn't it?

Please suggest.

If someone knows the source of this problem then please disclose so...I am torn between A and E....Thx.
Re: Assumption-- Singing in the rain umbrella   [#permalink] 07 Sep 2014, 07:36