Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 16:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

asteroids

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

asteroids [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2009, 03:13
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

78% (01:35) correct 22% (00:46) wrong based on 8 sessions
pls explain the answer
Attachments

asteroid.JPG
asteroid.JPG [ 80.84 KiB | Viewed 4416 times ]

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 58 [1] , given: 4

Re: asteroids [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2009, 03:37
This post received
KUDOS
IMO,

It's a question on parallelism. ' That' has to be repeated in the second part of the sentence( that is.........'and that' is.....).

A, B are out. E changes the meaning and usage of 'it' is ambiguous. D is awkard and is also in the past tense

I'll go with C

Cheers,
unplugged
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 14

Re: asteroids [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2009, 21:33
C looks more meaningfull.................
VP
VP

Re: asteroids [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2009, 01:08
But in C, isnt the use of 'that' and 'it' redundant? both are referring to asteroid!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 0

Re: asteroids [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2009, 01:37
ritula wrote:
But in C, isnt the use of 'that' and 'it' redundant? both are referring to asteroid!

"it were to strike earth" is a modifier clause to "that". Hence, the use of "it" is ok.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 472 [1] , given: 5

Re: asteroids [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2009, 07:13
This post received
KUDOS
scthakur wrote:
ritula wrote:

"it were to strike earth" is a modifier clause to "that". Hence, the use of "it" is ok.

Scientists have identified an asteroid, 2000 BF19, that is about half a mile wide and that,< if it were to strike Earth>, could do tremendous damage to part of the planet but would probably not cause planetwide destruction

remove the sentence between commas and read.. then C makes sense.

that is about half a mile wide and that could do tremendous..

that is necessary to maintain parallelism and correct usage.

if it were to strike Earth , that would probably not cause planet wide destruction --> correctly describes the hypothetical situtation.

"if it were to strike Earth" --> i don't see the best way to rewrite this statement without using "it". If you can try it

and, if it strikes Earth, it can do tremendous damage to part of the planet but

I agree that in E .. "it" after comma is redundant.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

VP
VP

Re: asteroids [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2009, 08:26
yes thats exactly wht I was confused abt. But now u explained so well dat its clear now. thanks a lot
+1 again :-D
x2suresh wrote:
scthakur wrote:
ritula wrote:

Scientists have identified an asteroid, 2000 BF19, that is about half a mile wide and that,< if it were to strike Earth>, could do tremendous damage to part of the planet but would probably not cause planetwide destruction

remove the sentence between commas and read.. then C makes sense.

that is about half a mile wide and that could do tremendous..

that is necessary to maintain parallelism and correct usage.

if it were to strike Earth , that would probably not cause planet wide destruction --> correctly describes the hypothetical situtation.

"if it were to strike Earth" --> i don't see the best way to rewrite this statement without using "it". If you can try it

and, if it strikes Earth, it can do tremendous damage to part of the planet but

I agree that in E .. "it" after comma is redundant.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 23

Re: asteroids [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2009, 20:16
My problem with C is, that it is missing the word "it" before "could". Try reading it with skipping the middle clause: "... and that could do tremendous damage". Please explain.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: asteroids [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 16:14
a great take away point that x2suresh mentioned is to remove commas from the sentence and see which option makes the sentence more appealing.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: asteroids [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 21:49
@ ritula and x2Suresh

IMO

E changes the meaning - Its the asteroid that may cause damage on earth. The possessive it used before earth and after earth in E is ambiguous and doesn't have a clear noun reference (Earth or Asteroid).

Where as C is not only parallel, but also uses subjunctive form (if it were...X...It Would..Y) to signify - the probability of it not causing planet wise destruction.

Kudos Never costs your Pocket ! Give when u feel it worthy :idea:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 39

Re: asteroids [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2011, 09:34
why a is wrong? pls help
I see nothing wrong with

The scientists identified the star and it can damage the earth

why A is wrong.

though C look more parallel
Director
Director
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 252 [0], given: 32

Re: asteroids [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2011, 09:35
Scientists have identified an asteroid, 2000 BF19, that is about half a mile wide and, if it strikes Earth, it can do tremendous damage to part of the planet but probably not cause planetwide destruction.
A. and, if it strikes Earth, it can do tremendous damage to part of the planet but
B. and, if it would strike Earth, part of the planet could experience a tremendous amount of damage but it would
C. and that, if it were to strike Earth, could do tremendous damage to part of the planet but would
D. and that, if Earth is struck by it, can do part of the planet tremendous damage, but it would
E. and that, if it strikes Earth, it could experience a tremendous amount of damage but

This a conditional sentence Such as I wish I were a bird [but i am not a bird], thus it were strike the earth [But did not strike], could and would for conditional sentence.

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: asteroids [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2013, 23:51
I think, as far as parallelism is concerned, both "that" should have the same function. But here, first "that" is referring to the asteroid and the second "that" is a relative pronoun that starts a clause.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 612 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: asteroids [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 00:12
agourav wrote:
I think, as far as parallelism is concerned, both "that" should have the same function. But here, first "that" is referring to the asteroid and the second "that" is a relative pronoun that starts a clause.

second THAT is used because of parallelism but this is also refering to ASTEROID.

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 299

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: asteroids [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2014, 08:17
ritula wrote:
pls explain the answer

I'm going with C on this one for parallelism with THAT and conciseness and clarity.

Would anybody confirm the OA is C please?:

Rgds
J :)
Re: asteroids   [#permalink] 29 Jan 2014, 08:17