Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 15:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Astronomers

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1467
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 0

Astronomers [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 12:10
Astronomers at the Palomar Observatory have discovered a distant supernova explosion, one that they believe is a type previously unknown to science.

A.
B. that they believe it to be
C. they believe that it is of
D. they believe that is
E. they believe to be of


How do I know when I can omit "that"???
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2007
Posts: 1111
Location: London
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

Re: Astronomers [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 14:52
bkk145 wrote:
Astronomers at the Palomar Observatory have discovered a distant supernova explosion, one that they believe is a type previously unknown to science.

A.
B. that they believe it to be
C. they believe that it is of
D. they believe that is
E. they believe to be of


How do I know when I can omit "that"???


It is tricky as well.
ONE is already playing the role of THAT,
so if we say ONE THAT..., it is the same as THAT THAT

so compare it now

...supernova explosion, that they believe....
....supernova explosion, one they believe...
I think that is redundant here.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1467
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 0

Re: Astronomers [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 15:09
Ravshonbek wrote:
bkk145 wrote:
Astronomers at the Palomar Observatory have discovered a distant supernova explosion, one that they believe is a type previously unknown to science.

A.
B. that they believe it to be
C. they believe that it is of
D. they believe that is
E. they believe to be of


How do I know when I can omit "that"???


It is tricky as well.
ONE is already playing the role of THAT,
so if we say ONE THAT..., it is the same as THAT THAT

so compare it now

...supernova explosion, that they believe....
....supernova explosion, one they believe...
I think that is redundant here.


You are right, it's redundant here...according to OG. Are there any more such pronoun that I can omit "that"?
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2007
Posts: 1111
Location: London
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

Re: Astronomers [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 15:21
bkk145 wrote:
Ravshonbek wrote:
bkk145 wrote:
Astronomers at the Palomar Observatory have discovered a distant supernova explosion, one that they believe is a type previously unknown to science.

A.
B. that they believe it to be
C. they believe that it is of
D. they believe that is
E. they believe to be of


How do I know when I can omit "that"???


It is tricky as well.
ONE is already playing the role of THAT,
so if we say ONE THAT..., it is the same as THAT THAT

so compare it now

...supernova explosion, that they believe....
....supernova explosion, one they believe...
I think that is redundant here.


You are right, it's redundant here...according to OG. Are there any more such pronoun that I can omit "that"?


There might be some, but came to this conclusion from the context itself.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Posts: 583
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

Re: Astronomers [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 19:16
Ravshonbek wrote:
bkk145 wrote:
Ravshonbek wrote:
bkk145 wrote:
Astronomers at the Palomar Observatory have discovered a distant supernova explosion, one that they believe is a type previously unknown to science.

A.
B. that they believe it to be
C. they believe that it is of
D. they believe that is
E. they believe to be of


How do I know when I can omit "that"???


It is tricky as well.
ONE is already playing the role of THAT,
so if we say ONE THAT..., it is the same as THAT THAT

so compare it now

...supernova explosion, that they believe....
....supernova explosion, one they believe...
I think that is redundant here.


You are right, it's redundant here...according to OG. Are there any more such pronoun that I can omit "that"?


There might be some, but came to this conclusion from the context itself.



The thing which is being tested here is the idiom "believe..."
The correct idiom use is "believe X to be Y" . So answer is E.
Re: Astronomers   [#permalink] 19 Aug 2007, 19:16
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
4 Experts publish their posts in the topic Astronom jade3 38 24 Nov 2009, 07:48
Astronomers at the Palomar vay 6 24 Jun 2007, 04:50
SC- astronomers Balvinder 5 05 Jun 2007, 23:08
To the editor: In 1960, an astronomer proposed a gmacvik 10 04 Feb 2007, 13:50
To the editor: In 1960, an astronomer proposed a capri 12 29 Sep 2005, 13:48
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Astronomers

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.