Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 14:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Astronomers have uncovered evidence that a star that was as

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 0

Astronomers have uncovered evidence that a star that was as [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 17:27
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

48% (01:56) correct 52% (01:09) wrong based on 206 sessions
Astronomers have uncovered evidence that a star that was as bright as the full moon exploding into view 340.000 years ago, emitting dazzling radiation that could have disrupted Earth's protective ozone layer and sunburned our Stone Age ancestors.

A. that a star that was as bright as the full moon exploding into view 340,000 years ago, emitting
B. that a star as bright as the full moon exploded into view 340,000 years ago, emitting
C. of a star that was as bright as the full moon exploding into view 340,000 years ago and that it emitted
D. of a star as bright as the full moon, exploding into view 340,000 years ago and emitting
E. of a star as bright as the full moon that exploded into view 340,000 years ago and that emitted
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by pqhai on 13 Dec 2013, 12:52, edited 2 times in total.
Added OA
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC - astronomers [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 17:35
quiet888 wrote:
Astronomers have uncovered evidence that a star that was as bright as the full moon exploding into view 340.000 years ago, emitting dazzling radiation that could have disrupted Earth's protective ozone layer and sunburned our Stone Age ancestors.

A. that a star that was as bright as the full moon exploding into view 340,000 years ago, emitting
B. that a star as bright as the full moon exploded into view 340,000 years ago, emitting
C. of a star that was as bright as the full moon exploding into view 340,000 years ago and that it emitted
D. of a star as bright as the full moon, exploding into view 340,000 years ago and emitting
E. of a star as bright as the full moon that exploded into view 340,000 years ago and that emitted

E.
Because I need a parallelism btw "sunburned" and "emitted".
I think "sunburned" can not parallel with "emitting" in A, B, D, so all of these out
C confusal "it"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - astronomers [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 17:43
Correct answer is B. Though still don't understand why.
Anyone can help?
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC - astronomers [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 17:49
Admittedly, I am weak at parallelism. Which parts paralles still be a myth to me! Wait to see a thorough guide!

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 80 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - astronomers [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 17:53
This post received
KUDOS
sondenso wrote:
quiet888 wrote:

E.
I think "sunburned" can not parallel with "emitting" in A, B, D, so all of these out
C confusal "it"

To start with I am assuming it is the star that exploded , not the moon.
So, 'that' in E is modifying moon.(and incorrectly saying that moon exploded)
Same problem with A.
In C, no clear referrent for 'it'. (moon or star?)
In D, Astronomers have uncovered evidence of X, exploding...(you see something wrong here.Did Astronmers exploded?)

B clearly says, Astronomers have uncovered evidence that a star(as bright as full moon) exploded...,emitting...
Clearly star exploded, and star is emitting.

Last edited by mymba99 on 04 May 2008, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 44 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: SC - astronomers [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 17:54
This post received
KUDOS
Answer B :

1) Correct Idiom :- evidence that

2) You have only two choices left now A, B . In A using exploding was a verb error. It should have been exploded
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 249 [1] , given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC - astronomers [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 18:00
This post received
KUDOS
saravalli wrote:
sondenso wrote:
quiet888 wrote:

E.
C confusal "it"

To start with I am assuming it is the star that exploded , not the moon.
So, 'that' in E is modifying moon.(and incorrectly saying that moon exploded)
Same problem with A.
In C, no clear referrent for 'it'. (moon or star?)
In D, Astronomers have uncovered evidence of X, exploding...(you see something wrong here.Did Astronmers exploded?)

B clearly says, Astronomers have uncovered evidence that a star(as bright as full moon) exploded...,emitting...
Clearly star exploded, and star is emitting.

Many thanks Saravalli,

This way is helpful, I try to use it later and see how it is! Thanks

CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 424 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - astronomers [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 06:31
This is about idiom and progressive tense.
correct idiom : evidence that .... Leaves A, B

Between A,B, A implies that the star "was" as bright as as the moon incorrectly.

quiet888 wrote:

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 268 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Astronomers have uncovered evidence that a star that was as [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2012, 23:18
with B.
E has misplaced modifier.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 543

Re: Astronomers have uncovered evidence that a star that was as [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2013, 05:13
Idiom is Evidence "that"

So only A and B are left

In option A Exploding is modifying moon and this doesn't make any sense!

Option B is correct!

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

5 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1094 [5] , given: 118

Re: Astronomers have uncovered evidence that a star that was as [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2013, 13:09
This post received
KUDOS
Hello guys.
This question is very good to practice Verb-ing modifier, Verb-ed modifier and relative clause "that".

NOTE:
Verb-ing modifier + NO commas ==> modifies preceding noun.
"that" + NO commas ==> modifies a preceding noun.
Verb-ed modifier ==> always modifiers preceding noun.

Wrong. "exploding" modifies "moon" <-- wrong.

Correct.. "emitting" is modifier + comma --> modifies the preceding clause --> give the result of the explosion of the star.

Wrong. "exploding" is modifier. But we need MAIN verb here --> "exploded" is correct, not "exploding".

Wrong. "that" modifies "moon" --> moon exploded ? Wrong meaning.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 105

Re: Astronomers have uncovered evidence that a star that was as [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2013, 07:18
pqhai wrote:
Hello guys.
This question is very good to practice Verb-ing modifier, Verb-ed modifier and relative clause "that".

NOTE:

Correct.. "emitting" is modifier + comma --> modifies the preceding clause --> give the result of the explosion of the star.

Wrong. "exploding" is modifier. But we need MAIN verb here --> "exploded" is correct, not "exploding".

Hope it helps.

Hi Pqhai,

you said that "Verb-ed modifier ==> always modifiers preceding noun",as per this in option B the verb Exploded should modify Full Moon rite?Please Clarify if i am missing something.

oh i think Exploded will be considered as a Modifier only when it is preceded by "that".Am i correct?
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1094 [1] , given: 118

Re: Astronomers have uncovered evidence that a star that was as [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2013, 12:51
This post received
KUDOS
vamshiande wrote:
pqhai wrote:
Hello guys.

NOTE:

Hope it helps.

Hi Pqhai,

you said that "Verb-ed modifier ==> always modifiers preceding noun",as per this in option B the verb Exploded should modify Full Moon rite?Please Clarify if i am missing something.

oh i think Exploded will be considered as a Modifier only when it is preceded by "that".Am i correct?

Hello vamshiande

No problem. I'm glad to help. You missed the structure a bit. "Exploded" is a verb, NOT Verb-ed modifier. Please note: after "that", we use a CLAUSE, thus "exploded" can't be a verb-ed modifier.

Hope it makes sense.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.3
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 240

CAT Tests
Re: Astronomers have uncovered evidence that a star that was as [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2014, 06:48
The error which I can identify is “exploding” which modified “full moon” and there is no verb there.

So on the basis of that, I have eliminated Options A) , C) . Option D) has comma + verbing modifier so should either present “How” or results – both are not applicable from context.

Now in Option E) I have a doubt what “that” modifies.

I guess “that” modified star and not full moon as “as bright as the full moon” modifies the star and as per the article noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-135868.html, it should modify the star.

In that case, the Option E) looks ok. Can you please clarify?

Thanks,
Kinjal
Never Give Up !!!

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1184

Kudos [?]: 3147 [1] , given: 176

Re: Astronomers have uncovered evidence that a star that was as [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2014, 03:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
kinjiGC wrote:
The error which I can identify is “exploding” which modified “full moon” and there is no verb there.

So on the basis of that, I have eliminated Options A) , C) . Option D) has comma + verbing modifier so should either present “How” or results – both are not applicable from context.

Now in Option E) I have a doubt what “that” modifies.

I guess “that” modified star and not full moon as “as bright as the full moon” modifies the star and as per the article noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-135868.html, it should modify the star.

In that case, the Option E) looks ok. Can you please clarify?

Hi there,

Thank you for posting your query here. :)

As the article tells you, a good way to test whether a modifier can 'jump over' the preceding modifier is to check whether the preceding modifier can be placed anywhere else. If it can, then the second modifier can't 'jump over' the first. In this sentence, "that was as bright as the full moon" can't be placed anywhere else, since it's clearly referring to the star. So, you're right: there's no issue with this modifier.

The problem with this option is that it destroys the intended meaning of the sentence. According to the intended meaning of the original sentence, "emitting" was the result of "exploding". The star exploded, resulting in the emission of dazzling radiation. This cause-and-effect relationship no longer exists when we turn "emitted" into a verb and join the two words using "and". In this context, "and" only tells use that two actions were performed by the star: it exploded, and it emitted radiation. It doesn't tell us that the explosion caused the emission of radiation, and thus distorts the intended meaning of the sentence.

I hope this helps to clarify your doubt!

Regards,
Meghna

Free Webinar: July 26, 2014 - Ace GMAT RC: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to apply the Reading Strategies critical to ace the GMAT Reading Comprehension. Click here to register.

Re: Astronomers have uncovered evidence that a star that was as   [#permalink] 05 Mar 2014, 03:22