Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 14:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Astronomy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Astronomy [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2006, 21:27
Hey folks,

I know Laxie is a big time Astronomy lover... me too, I love it :) but currently looking for buying a telescope (so far was using that of a friend :( who moved out), anybody has any idea about telescopes?

I just know that it's the aperture & not the power (magnifying power) that matters, I'm more interested in observing nebulas & galaxies apart from regular our own moon & planets :)

Btw, do you like astronomy? It's awesome field guys!
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Astronomy [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2006, 21:37
vivek123 wrote:
Hey folks,

I know Laxie is a big time Astronomy lover... me too, I love it :) but currently looking for buying a telescope (so far was using that of a friend :( who moved out), anybody has any idea about telescopes?

I just know that it's the aperture & not the power (magnifying power) that matters, I'm more interested in observing nebulas & galaxies apart from regular our own moon & planets :)

I love it. I used to read a lot about this in my teens but at that time I could not afford a good telescope. So the passion almost died. After reading the science magzines, I used to identify stars and constellations in the clear night sky with bare eyes. Thanks for reminding me vivek. After a gap of 10-12 years, I will pursue the hobby again.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Astronomy [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2006, 21:52
ps_dahiya wrote:
vivek123 wrote:
Hey folks,

I love it. I used to read a lot about this in my teens but at that time I could not afford a good telescope. So the passion almost died. After reading the science magzines, I used to identify stars and constellations in the clear night sky with bare eyes. Thanks for reminding me vivek. After a gap of 10-12 years, I will pursue the hobby again.

That's cool :) It means you know about constellations. Let's start on it, it's a very good hobby!
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2006, 23:49
I love astronomy! Hey Vivek, let your daughter watch this NASA multimedia clip on the Valles Marines of Mars. It took about 10min to download with my dinosaur P4 processor, but it`s definately worth the wait...

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/odyssey/galler ... ighRes.mpg

Last edited by GMATT73 on 05 Aug 2006, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student

[#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2006, 23:52
Looks like this is how your daughter will get there in 2025. 8-) Six months is a long voyage...

Attachments

drobinson_shenandoah_1024.jpg
drobinson_shenandoah_1024.jpg [ 275.08 KiB | Viewed 591 times ]

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2006, 07:17
GMATT73 wrote:
I love astronomy! Hey Vivek, let your daughter watch this NASA multimedia clip on the Valles Marines of Mars. It took about 10min to download with my dinosaur P4 processor, but it`s definately worth the wait...

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/odyssey/galler ... ighRes.mpg

Thanks Matt,

That's really cool! I appreciate it on behalf of my daughter :) Somehow, she likes the moon a lot, she keeps gazing at it...

I just went & had a look at couple of telescopes here in Bangalore, but need to work on the aperture vs power funda :?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2006, 07:25
Hik, I've just come back...been so busy taking my foreign friends around the city these days ...So you decided to buy a telescope?!!;) ...I heard the Meade and Orion brands are the best in the field, start with a 3'' telescope, buddy :) ...I'd prefer a refractor one ...btw, why don't you consider a binocular, it's not bad at all ;) ...hik, to be honest, i'm not yet an expert in star gazing coz the sky in Guangzhou, China is always cloudy ...a lot of air pollution :cry: ..and if you wanna grab a book guide on star gazing, pick " Nightwatch" or "Celestial handbook" ( the latter is more advanced and kind of secular )
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2006, 18:55
Hey Laxie & others,

Thanks for the tip. I bought a 2.5'' telescope yesterday, pretty good. But eversince I bought it, it's cloudy out here :( Waiting for clear sky...
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2006, 05:21
Well, here's the picture of the moon that I clicked through my telescope...had a touch time focussing throught the tiny aperture. I'm waiting for full moon ;) & folks Mars will be closest to the Earth on August 26 :-D If you have a telescope aim for it, golden opportunity :)

Attachments

File comment: 20mm
20mm Moon.JPG
20mm Moon.JPG [ 8.2 KiB | Viewed 544 times ]

Current Student

[#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2006, 07:06
vivek123 wrote:
Well, here's the picture of the moon that I clicked through my telescope...had a touch time focussing throught the tiny aperture. I'm waiting for full moon ;) & folks Mars will be closest to the Earth on August 26 :-D If you have a telescope aim for it, golden opportunity :)

Will keep an eye out for the red planet next week. Thanx for the pic Vivek!
Current Student

[#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2006, 05:34
Well Vivek, Laxie, and the others out there interested in Astronomy, it looks like we are back down to eight official planets. Pluto has just been demoted.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/space/08/2 ... index.html
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2006, 04:32
GMATT73 wrote:
Well Vivek, Laxie, and the others out there interested in Astronomy, it looks like we are back down to eight official planets. Pluto has just been demoted.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/space/08/2 ... index.html

Yeah...! I just read it in the news paper. The new definition of "Planet" is interesting.

Laxie,
Did you notice this???
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2006, 13:08
Yeah - everything was heated up on the Astronomy scene for a while, what with the dudes almost making 12 planets instead of 9 :lol:

Are those new planets still on the plate? Or were they rejected?

Here's my pic of the moon :-D Taken with a Kodak z740 at 15x zoom without any other attachments... it came out grainy coz of the digital zoom :(

Attachments

File comment: Here's my pic! :D
100_0676.JPG
100_0676.JPG [ 94.78 KiB | Viewed 512 times ]

[#permalink] 27 Aug 2006, 13:08