Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2754 [27]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4545 [16]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
General Discussion
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Re: At a certain auto dealership, 500 cars were sold last week. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Vyshak wrote:
Number of cars sold in the week = 500

St1: 3rd highest = 75 --> Since there is no upper limit there is a possibility that the number of cars sold on a given day is less than 50 and that day may or may not be Friday.
Not Sufficient

St2: Highest = 77 --> Upper limit = 77
In order to reduce the value of the lowest assume the other 5 values to be 76, 75, 74, 73, 72
77 + 76 + 75 + 74 + 73 + 72 = 447.
The least value on any given day is 500 - 447 = 53 --> Number of cars sold on Friday > 52
Sufficient

Answer: B

why did you assume the other days would have 74,73 and 72?

We can have something like 77 + 76 + 75 + 75 + 75 + 75 = 453. Hence, Friday could have 47 cars sold as well.

Please correct me if I am missing anything.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4545 [0]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Question states that different number of cars are sold on each of the seven days.. So you can't assume same number of cars to be sold on 4 days.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [2]
Given Kudos: 51
GPA: 4
Send PM
Bookmarks
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
At a certain auto dealership, 500 cars were sold last week. If a different number of cars were sold on each of the seven days, did the dealership sell at least 50 cars on Friday of that week?

For these types of questions, the statement: a different number of cars were sold on each of the seven days is very important.

(1) On Monday, the dealership sold 75 cars, which was the third-highest number of cars sold on any day that week.

The majority of cars could be sold on the top 3 days, leaving Friday with 0 cars sold. Alternately, Friday could have sold more than 50 if it were the 4th highest.

Insufficient

(2) On Saturday, the dealership sold 77 cars, which was the highest number of cars sold on any day that week.

We want Friday to be at the lowest possible, so have all other days at the maximum possible. To obtain the maximum sales:
Take the sum of the 6 consecutive integers counting down from 77:
\(77 + 76 + \ldots +72 = 6 \times \frac{1}{2} \times (77 + 72) = 447\)

Therefore the minimum number of cars sold on Friday is 53

Sufficient

(B) statement 2 alone is sufficient, but statement 1 alone is not sufficient to answer the question
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 724 [1]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Bookmarks
At a certain auto dealership, 500 cars were sold last week. If a different number of cars were sold on each of the seven days, did the dealership sell at least 50 cars on Friday of that week?

(1) On Monday, the dealership sold 75 cars, which was the third-highest number of cars sold on any day that week.

(2) On Saturday, the dealership sold 77 cars, which was the highest number of cars sold on any day that week.

A) M = 75, from the other 5 days
let 2nd highest be 76 and highest be 77

take the 6 days other than fri as (in increasing order) : 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77
Total is less than 250, hence Fri can be more than 50, but need not be. If the max number of car sold exceeds say its 100, and the rest remain the same, Fri will be less than 50 ----> not sufficient

B) as proved above, if highest is 77 then least is more than 50. -----> sufficient (B)
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618686 [0]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Expert Reply
Nevernevergiveup wrote:

Veritas Prep Official Explanation

To solve these Minimum/Maximum problems, you must organize the information and consider different scenarios. From statement (1) it is given that the 75 cars sold on Monday represents the third-highest number sold that week. To use this information, consider the following scenario that lists possible number of cars sold on each day starting, highest to lowest, with 75 as the third-highest: 200, 100, 75, 60, 35, 20, 10. Since the other numbers of cars could represent any of the remaining days, it is clear that Friday could be a day with less than 50 or more than 50, so this information is not sufficient.

In statement (2) it is given that on Saturday the dealership sold 77 cars, the most number of cars sold on any one day. This leaves 423 cars that must be accounted for on the other days. To see how this number of cars could be distributed, maximize the number of cars sold on five of the remaining six days and see what is left on the day with the least number sold. Since 77 was the most and no two days had the same number sold, that would be 76 + 75 + 74 + 73 + 72, or 370 cars. Since the remaining six days must account for 423 cars, this would leave 53 cars left on the lowest day. In other words, if 77 is the most number of cars sold on one day, then it is impossible to have fewer than 53 cars sold on any one day, because the sum of 500 could not be achieved. The correct answer choice is B; statement (2) ALONE is sufficient.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
For these types of max/min questions, is the approach to number picking choosing those numbers that cluster around the max? e.g. in this case

77 is surrounded by 75,76, etc.?

i.e. what is an ideal starting point?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
CEdward wrote:
For these types of max/min questions, is the approach to number picking choosing those numbers that cluster around the max? e.g. in this case

77 is surrounded by 75,76, etc.?

i.e. what is an ideal starting point?

CEdward, when you're trying to minimise an entity (in this case - the number of cars sold on Friday), it generally helps to maximise the other entities.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92901 posts