Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 16:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

At a certain conference, 72% of the attendees registered at

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 10

At a certain conference, 72% of the attendees registered at [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2014, 21:07
Why is this question locked?

http://gmatclub.com/forum/at-a-certain-conference-72-of-the-attendees-registered-at-139035.html#p1257947

I agree with many others in the questions thread that it has not been dealt with correctly. IMO the question stem is incorrect.

See attached document - everyone is giving the answer for finding the % of attendees who paid the conference fee in full - which is 80%. When the question actually, incorrectly asks for percentage of conference attendees registered at least 2 weeks in advance.

See the attached document, I have input y and x. The question asks for y, but the 'correct' answer is being shown as x. With the information given there is no way to answer for y.

Question comes from the Jeff Sackmann sets.
Attachments

72 %25 attendees.docx [3.82 KiB]
Downloaded 6 times

To download please login or register as a user

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 298 [1] , given: 170

Re: At a certain conference, 72% of the attendees registered at [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2014, 23:22
This post received
KUDOS
actionj wrote:
Why is this question locked?

http://gmatclub.com/forum/at-a-certain-conference-72-of-the-attendees-registered-at-139035.html#p1257947

I agree with many others in the questions thread that it has not been dealt with correctly. IMO the question stem is incorrect.

See attached document - everyone is giving the answer for finding the % of attendees who paid the conference fee in full - which is 80%. When the question actually, incorrectly asks for percentage of conference attendees registered at least 2 weeks in advance.

See the attached document, I have input y and x. The question asks for y, but the 'correct' answer is being shown as x. With the information given there is no way to answer for y.

Question comes from the Jeff Sackmann sets.

Its showing up as "Poor Quality"; may be locked due to it.....

Kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 10

Re: At a certain conference, 72% of the attendees registered at [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2014, 00:23
Thanks, how can you tell it was locked due to poor quality? I could not see that anywhere.

I was looking for vindication that I am not going crazy. You know how it is with all this GMAT study - sometimes you get a bit of cabin fever.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 298 [1] , given: 170

Re: At a certain conference, 72% of the attendees registered at [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2014, 01:03
This post received
KUDOS
actionj wrote:
Thanks, how can you tell it was locked due to poor quality? I could not see that anywhere.

I was looking for vindication that I am not going crazy. You know how it is with all this GMAT study - sometimes you get a bit of cabin fever.

Please see the screenshot below:
Attachments

poor.jpg
poor.jpg [ 132.48 KiB | Viewed 532 times ]

Kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 50

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 1

Re: At a certain conference, 72% of the attendees registered at [#permalink] New post 08 May 2014, 09:48
@actionj

I agree with others that the question stem needs to be modified to "what percent of the conference attendees paid their conference fee in full?" to make this question correct.

This is one problem with practicing with unofficial GMAT questions. They often contain ambiguous statements. Here is an official GMAT question that relies on the same thought process. It is a hard question but the language is precise.

On a certain road 10% of the motorists exceed the posted speed limit and receive speeding tickets, but 20% of the motorists who exceed the posted speed limit do not receive speeding tickets. What percent of the motorists on the road exceed the posted speed limit?

A. 10.5%
B. 12.5%
C. 15%
D. 22%
E. 30%

Cheers,
Dabral

Free Video Explanations: OFFICIAL GUIDE GMAT 13, 12, 11, 10; QUANT REVIEW 2nd, 1st.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Re: At a certain conference, 72% of the attendees registered at [#permalink] New post 20 May 2014, 23:48
The solution to the above question is B: 12.5%

This question seems hard at the first glance, but making a Venn Diagram makes it easy to understand.

Attachment:
Speeding Ticket.PNG
Speeding Ticket.PNG [ 8.25 KiB | Viewed 280 times ]

Notation:

M represents the set of all motorists
S represents the set of motorists who exceeded speed
T represents the set of motorists who exceeded speed and got a ticket

The question says that 20% of all motorists who exceeded speed did not get a ticket.

Have a look at the Venn Diagram. Which area represents such motorists?

The orange one.

So, if orange area is 20% of the set S, then what % of S will be the red area?

80%.

It's also given that 10% of all motorists exceed speed and get a ticket. Which area of the diagram represents these motorists?

Again, the red area.

So, we get the equation:

10% of M = 80% of S
So, S = 1/8 of M = 12.5% of M.

Hence, Option B.

Please press Kudos if you were helped by my post!

Intern
Intern
Schools: IIMC
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 16

Re: At a certain conference, 72% of the attendees registered at [#permalink] New post 21 May 2014, 00:20
Another way to solve it:
Attachments

Post 1_Motorist.png
Post 1_Motorist.png [ 31.66 KiB | Viewed 249 times ]

If you liked the post, please press the'Kudos' button on the left

Re: At a certain conference, 72% of the attendees registered at   [#permalink] 21 May 2014, 00:20