Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 17:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

At a certain convenience store, the revenue from Brand A hot

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 4

At a certain convenience store, the revenue from Brand A hot [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2010, 21:01
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

78% (02:11) correct 22% (00:58) wrong based on 45 sessions
At a certain convenience store, the revenue from Brand A hot dogs decreased by 5% from April to May, while the revenue from Brand B hot dogs increased by 5% from April to May. The revenue from Brand A in May was what percentage of the revenue from Brand B in April?

(1) The increase in revenue from Brand B was 19/20 the decrease in revenue from Brand A.
(2) The revenue in April from Brand A was equal to 20/19 the revenue in April from Brand B.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Convenience store CR [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 10:41
The OA is correct A. Since this does not seem more of math question I will try to use as much english as possible to explain DS. I also think the idea of this question is to make people enjoy scary maths over any other approach.

Q Says revenue from Brand A & Brand B share a percent decrease & increase during the accounting month of from April to May the statement underlined is very important. I will explain later why.

Now Question that need to be answered can we find the percentage revenue if statement 1 is given. YES. I do not want to focus on maths here however since all required information is presented we can caculate the revenue percentage (Revenue of Brand A/Revenue of Brand B * 100 ).

Statement 1 - The increase in revenue from Brand B was 19/20 the decrease in revenue from Brand A. Point to be noted here, the key thing about this statement is that it does not talk about the months and derives from the information above to provide revenue information. Hence Sufficient. We can setup the equation and solve.

Statement 2. The revenue in April from Brand A was equal to 20/19 the revenue in April from Brand B.
Choices.
Can I use the information in statement 2 ? NO. Why ? because it smartly introduces the month April

Now please revisit the question stem in the above bold letters :

Q Says revenue from Brand A & Brand B share a percent decrease & increase during the accounting month of from April to May the statement underlined is very important. I will explain later why.

Here is why :
1. Since the question is not asking us to calculate the revenue percentage itself for the month of April this information is insufficient or irrelevant to answer.
2. Since the revenue are given through the month of April to May we dont have the revenue information for the month of April and we cannot setup up the equations to solve this problem.

Please consider giving kudos if you like the explanation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ros.
Nice Post + Some help + Lucid solution = Kudos

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do | Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Convenience store CR [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 10:55
shrivastavarohit wrote:
The OA is correct A. Since this does not seem more of math question I will try to use as much english as possible to explain DS. I also think the idea of this question is to make people enjoy scary maths over any other approach.

Now Question that need to be answered can we find the percentage revenue if statement 1 is given. YES. I do not want to focus on maths here however since all required information is presented we can caculate the revenue percentage (Revenue of Brand A/Revenue of Brand B * 100 ).

Statement 1 - The increase in revenue from Brand B was 19/20 the decrease in revenue from Brand A. Point to be noted here, the key thing about this statement is that it does not talk about the months and derives from the information above to provide revenue information. Hence Sufficient. We can setup the equation and solve.

Statement 2. The revenue in April from Brand A was equal to 20/19 the revenue in April from Brand B.
Choices.
Can I use the information in statement 2 ? NO. Why ? because it smartly introduces the month April

Now please revisit the question stem in the above bold letters :

Here is why :
1. Since the question is not asking us to calculate the revenue percentage itself for the month of April this information is insufficient or irrelevant to answer.
2. Since the revenue are given through the month of April to May we dont have the revenue information for the month of April and we cannot setup up the equations to solve this problem.

Please consider giving kudos if you like the explanation.

I disagree with your assertion on statement 2. We are given the ratio of revenue in April as A/B is 20/19. We are also given the change in revenue in May for Brand A, which is -5%.

We need to compare the revenue in May for Brand A to the revenue in April for Brand B.

Let's plug in numbers,

Assume April revenues are as follows:

Brand A = $20
Brand B = $19

Brand A Revenues in May are therefore 20 * 0.95, which equals 19, the ratio between Brand A May revenues ($19) and Brand B April Revenues ($19) is 1.

I can't find any number pair where this ratio doesn't hold true. Hence, statement 2 is sufficient and OA should be D.

If I am missing something, please let me know.

Thanks
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Convenience store CR [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 11:07
Dude !!! If GMAT were an exam for math wizards only I would agree with your argument.

Since it is not, You need to use the presense of mind as well.

Can you please explain, considering you are correct what is the difference in Statement 1 and 2.

Assuming months can be ignored, it dosent matter if 19/20 or 20/19.

An an intelligent test taker it would be a waste of lot of energy and time to rewrite statement 1 in statement 2 with absolutely no change.

BEYOND ALL, Also consider this possibility April to May :

Could be 15 Apr - 15 May. If so, how would you know he revenue of accouting month from Apr to May at the end of APR?

Ros.
Nice Post + Some help + Lucid solution = Kudos

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do | Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Convenience store CR [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 11:24
shrivastavarohit wrote:
Dude !!! If GMAT were an exam for math wizards only I would agree with your argument.

Since it is not, You need to use the presense of mind as well.

Can you please explain, considering you are correct what is the difference in Statement 1 and 2.

Assuming months can be ignored, it dosent matter if 19/20 or 20/19.

An an intelligent test taker it would be a waste of lot of energy and time to rewrite statement 1 in statement 2 with absolutely no change.

BEYOND ALL, Also consider this possibility April to May :

Could be 15 Apr - 15 May. If so, how would you know he revenue of accouting month from Apr to May at the end of APR?

The answer has nothing to do with math wizardry, in statement 2 we are given the ratio of revenues in April 20 / 19. 20 * (1 - 0.05) is always 19, hence the ratio is always 1.

I am unclear of what you mean when you say "presence of mind" as I am unsure what you mean by saying an "intelligent test taker would waste alot of time" as it took 42 seconds to answer this question.

On the last point, I will make the assumption that the months are equal meaning April means all of April and the same for May. If that assumption doesn't hold true, the answer for this question and any like it would be E as there would be no solution.

The two statements are different and not the same as you imply but they are both sufficient.

Instead of worrying about the metaphysical aspects of the GMAT, it would be helpful if someone could explain how my reasoning that statement 2 is sufficient is wrong. Preferably with an example of numbers where it doesn't work. However, judging from the responses given throughout this thread, which are all D except for one and the explanation for that one has been disproven, I do not expect an explanation justifying A.

Maybe someone smarter than me on these things (Bunuel or Walker?) can shine some light on this?

Thanks
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3363

Kudos [?]: 24473 [3] , given: 2680

Re: Convenience store CR [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 11:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
shekar123 wrote:
At a certain convenience store, the revenue from Brand A hot dogs decreased by 5% from April to May, while the revenue from Brand B hot dogs increased by 5% from April to May. The revenue from Brand A in May was what percentage of the revenue from Brand B in April?

(1) The increase in revenue from Brand B was 19/20 the decrease in revenue from Brand A.

(2) The revenue in April from Brand A was equal to 20/19 the revenue in April from Brand B.

Given:
Attachment:
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG [ 4.73 KiB | Viewed 1399 times ]

Q: \frac{0.95A}{B}=\frac{19A}{20B}=?

(1) The increase in revenue from Brand B was 19/20 the decrease in revenue from Brand A --> 0.05B=\frac{19}{20}0.05A --> \frac{A}{B}=\frac{20}{19} --> hence \frac{19A}{20B}=1. Sufficient.

(2) The revenue in April from Brand A was equal to 20/19 the revenue in April from Brand B --> A=\frac{20}{19}B --> hence \frac{19A}{20B}=1. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

Hope it's clear.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 543

Re: Convenience store CR [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2013, 05:02
Bunuel wrote:
shekar123 wrote:

Given:
Attachment:
untitled.JPG

Q: \frac{0.95A}{B}=\frac{19A}{20B}=?

(1) The increase in revenue from Brand B was 19/20 the decrease in revenue from Brand A --> 0.05B=\frac{19}{20}0.05A --> \frac{A}{B}=\frac{20}{19} --> hence \frac{19A}{20B}=1. Sufficient.

(2) The revenue in April from Brand A was equal to 20/19 the revenue in April from Brand B --> A=\frac{20}{19}B --> hence \frac{19A}{20B}=1. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

Hope it's clear.

Great Explanation! PS congrats on the 10000 kudos I don't think anyone will ever reach that feat on GMAT club...

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Re: Convenience store CR   [#permalink] 15 Jun 2013, 05:02