Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2015, 16:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

At a certain department store present-wrapping counter, each

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

At a certain department store present-wrapping counter, each [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2006, 00:16
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (02:58) correct 56% (02:22) wrong based on 162 sessions
At a certain department store present-wrapping counter, each clerk will wrap no fewer than twenty and no more than thirty presents per hour. If seventy people are standing in line, will all of their presents be wrapped after one hour?

(1) Each person in line has at least one present to be wrapped by one of the six clerks at the counter.
(2) If each person in line had one more present to be wrapped, nine clerks would be required to guarantee that every present would be wrapped in one hour.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 20 Oct 2013, 08:56, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic, edited the question and added the OA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2006, 00:31
70 People
M clerk
N Present

1) Six Clerks No info about Presents ---Insufficient
2) Nine Clerks will guarantee N+70 presents
a. No Info about N so Insufficient

1+2 :
Analyze second in details…
9 Clerks =>

Min Number of packets (9*20 =180)
Max No of packets (9*30 =270)

So N can range from (180-70, 270-70) = (110, 200)

Add information about 6 Clerks at counter
6 clerks Min wrap packets (6*20 = 120)
6 clerks Max wrap packets (6*30 = 180)

Hence if there are more than 180 packets this condition is not satisfied

Answer E

Off course this is wrong otherwise I wouldn’t be posting this question

----------------------------------------
OA is C:

9 people can wrap at least 9*20 = 180 presents
One more present per person so 180-70 = 110 Present

1 Says we have 6 clerks 1+2 can answer question!

Any one agrees or this is Kaplan’s Mistake!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2006, 01:37
agree with C)
from stem we know that one clerk can wrap 30 gifts at most per hour. Seventy people on the line,
From A we know that there are six clerks and minimum 70 presents which is insufficient
From B) we can calculate the number of gifts in the people on the line 9x30=270-70=200 approx. but we do not know how many clerks are currently working
combining both it is clear that 270-70=200 presents hold the people in the line, currently there are 6 clerks working who can pack 30 gifts at most, so the clerks will not be able to complete the job in one hour
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2006, 02:21
I actually find this question confusing. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Combining (1) and (2) we know that:
if (2) assumes that a clerk can wrap 20 gifts per hour, then we have 9*20=180, but since the customers have 1 more, subtract 70 ->110
if (2) assumes that a clerk can wrap 30 gifts per hour, than we have 9*30=270, ->200

If there are six clerks and they work at 20 g/h, in the case of 110 they would be able to wrap all the gifts, otherwise they wouldn't.
Attachments

gifts.JPG
gifts.JPG [ 13.06 KiB | Viewed 2095 times ]

Please allow me to introduce myself: I'm a man of wealth and taste

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2006, 08:31
thearch wrote:
I actually find this question confusing. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I also found this confusing... and my analysis was same as yours!

BG if you see my explaination of OA says C for different reason than your analysis!
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2006, 18:16
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,
=======================================
At a certain department store present-wrapping counter, each clerk will wrap no fewer than 20 and no more than 30 presents per hour. If seventy people are standing in line, will all of their presents be wrapped after one hour?
So the slowest clerk can wrap 20 gifts
As a worst case the number of gifts wrapped in an hour is
20 * number of clerks.

(1) Each person in line has at least one present to be wrapped by one of the six clerks at the counter.
This does not give the number of gifts, hence is insufficient.

(2)If each person in line had one more present to be wrapped, nine clerks would be required to guarantee that every present would be wrapped in one hour.
This means that if there are 70 more gifts, nine clerks are needed.
If you can guarantee that 9 slow clerks can wrap all gifts in an hour, you can pretty much say any combination of clerks, slow or fast can do it within an hour.

Total number of gifts + 70 <= 9clerks * 20 Gifts wrapped by each
Total number of gifts <= 180 - 70
<= 110

However (2) does not give the number of clerks at the counter, hence is insufficient.

Using (1) and (2) together -
Number of clerks = 6
Number of gifts <= 110

Assume all 6 clerks are slow; They can wrap 120 gifts in an hour.
Since we have 110 or less, this can be done.

I'd say Answer is C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2006, 21:08
Yeah I think cool frequency has given an good explanation... it is C

vazlkaiye porkalam vazltuthan parkanum.... porkalam maralam porkalthan maruma

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q44 V49
GPA: 3.6
WE: Information Technology (Retail Banking)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2013, 08:47
coolfrequency wrote:
This means that if there are 70 more gifts, nine clerks are needed.
If you can guarantee that 9 slow clerks can wrap all gifts in an hour, you can pretty much say any combination of clerks, slow or fast can do it within an hour.

Total number of gifts + 70 <= 9clerks * 20 Gifts wrapped by each
Total number of gifts <= 180 - 70
<= 110

However (2) does not give the number of clerks at the counter, hence is insufficient.

Number of clerks = 6
Number of gifts <= 110

Assume all 6 clerks are slow; They can wrap 120 gifts in an hour.
Since we have 110 or less, this can be done.

I'd say Answer is C.

I am lost on this one. Kaplan has a very similar solution noted too.
However, instead of slowest case scenario, if I take the highest numbers:
Total number of gifts + 70 <= 9clerks * 30 Gifts wrapped by each
Total number of gifts <= 270 - 70
<= 200

Number of clerks = 6
Number of gifts <= 200
Maximum gifts that can be wrapped 6 clerks: 6*30 = 180.

Which contradicts the slow case and so the answer to the main question will be E.

What am I missing?
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 4183

Kudos [?]: 40298 [3] , given: 5420

Re: At a certain department store present-wrapping counter, each [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2013, 09:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
At a certain department store present-wrapping counter, each clerk will wrap no fewer than twenty and no more than thirty presents per hour. If seventy people are standing in line, will all of their presents be wrapped after one hour?

Say each clerk can wrap x presents per hour. We are given that \(20\leq{x}\leq{30}\).

(1) Each person in line has at least one present to be wrapped by one of the six clerks at the counter. From that we can get that the number of presents to be wrapped is at least 70 and that there are 6 clerks at the counter. Now, the number of presents 6 clerks can wrap in an hour is \(120\leq{x}\leq{180}\). Still not sufficient to answer the question: if the # of presents is 70, then the answer would be YES but if the # of presents is greater than 180, then the answer would be NO. Not sufficient.

(2) If each person in line had one more present to be wrapped, nine clerks would be required to guarantee that every present would be wrapped in one hour.

Say 70 people in line have total of n presents. We are told that n+70 presents can be wrapped by 9 clerks. 9 clerks can for sure wrap 9*20=180 presents. Thus we are given that \(n+70\leq{180}\) --> \(n\leq{110}\). So, there are at most 110 presents to be wrapped.

To guarantee wrapping 110 presents minimum 6 clerks are needed (6 slowest clerks can wrap 120 presents). We don't know how many clerks are there at the counter. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) From (1) we know that there are 6 clerks, thus they can for sure wrap minimum 120 presents, since the # of presents is less than or equal 110, then these 6 can wrap all the presents. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hope it's clear.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: At a certain department store present-wrapping counter, each [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2013, 10:27
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks Bunuel
What I don't understand is, why did you choose the minimum speed as opposed to maximum in your calculation for n
You used: n+70 <= 180
Why not: n+ 70 <=270

The statement says 9 clerks can wrap n+70 presents at a speed of between 20...30 presents per hour. Why choose 20 and not 30?
Is it because of the use of the word "guarantee" in statement 2?
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 40298 [0], given: 5420

Re: At a certain department store present-wrapping counter, each [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2013, 10:31
Expert's post
portland wrote:
Thanks Bunuel
What I don't understand is, why did you choose the minimum speed as opposed to maximum in your calculation for n
You used: n+70 <= 180
Why not: n+ 70 <=270

The statement says 9 clerks can wrap n+70 presents at a speed of between 20...30 presents per hour. Why choose 20 and not 30?
Is it because of the use of the word "guarantee" in statement 2?

Absolutely. We need to guarantee that every gift will be wrapped, thus we must consider that the clerks work at the slowest possible rate.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: At a certain department store present-wrapping counter, each [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2013, 10:54
Ah! Damn important words hidden in plain sight.

Thanks Bunuel
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 5

Re: At a certain department store present-wrapping counter, each [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2013, 11:06
Is this really a 600-700 level question..?
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 40298 [0], given: 5420

Re: At a certain department store present-wrapping counter, each [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2013, 11:08
Expert's post
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 289

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: At a certain department store present-wrapping counter, each [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2015, 13:36
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: At a certain department store present-wrapping counter, each   [#permalink] 05 Feb 2015, 13:36