Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 05 Jul 2015, 13:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

At a certain paint store "forest green"is made by mixing 4 p

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 33 [1] , given: 0

At a certain paint store "forest green"is made by mixing 4 p [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 12:57
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

72% (03:30) correct 28% (02:50) wrong based on 135 sessions
At a certain paint store "forest green"is made by mixing 4 parts blue paint with 3 parts yellow paint."Verdant green"is made by mixing 4 parts yellow paint with 3 parts blue paint.How many liters of yellow paint must be added to 14 liters of "forest green"to change it to "Verdant green"?

A. 2
B. 13/6
C. 3
D. 4
E. 14/3
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Tuck Thread Master
Schools: Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 103 [1] , given: 69

Re: How to solve ? [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 14:07
This post received
KUDOS
14 liters of "forest green" contain 8 liters of blue paint. in order to transform it into "verdant green" blue paint should become 3/7 of total paint volume (now it's 4/7)

Let's suppose we add x liters of yellow paint. Then

\(\frac{8}{14+x}=\frac{3}{7}\)

\(56=42+3x\)

\(x=\frac{14}{3}\)

Last edited by shalva on 15 Jan 2010, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 1

Re: How to solve ? [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 14:12
This post received
KUDOS
14 liter of Forset green have 8 liter of blue and 6 liter of yellow
Suppose we add x liter of yellow to make it a verdant green so the ratio of blue to yellow in verdant green is ¾ so the equation is

Blue/yellow =8/(6+x) = ¾
Solving this we get x =14/3 and answer is 5
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: At a certain paint store "forest green" is made by mixing 4 parts blue [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 21:49
In 14 litres of forest green there are 8L of Blue and 6L of Yellow. To convert this to Verdant green(whose ratio of mixture is 4 parts of yellow and 3 parts of blue paint)

8/(6+x) = 3/4
==> x = 14/3

But i do not find that in the choices.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1414

Kudos [?]: 7347 [0], given: 186

Re: At a certain paint store "forest green" is made by mixing 4 parts blue [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2010, 11:25
Expert's post
soundofmusic is correct.

In forest green, the ratio of Blue:Yellow is 4:3. If I have 14 lts of this paint, it means I have 8 lts of Blue in it and 6 litres of Yellow in it.

To make it Verdant Green I need to add Yellow because it has Blue:Yellow ratio of 3:4. If x lts is the amount of Yellow I need to add,
\(\frac{8}{{6 + x}} = \frac{3}{4}\)
\(x = \frac{14}{3} = 4 \frac{2}{3}\)

The answer is not there in the options.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 57

Re: At a certain paint store "forest green" is made by mixing 4 parts blue [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 09:04
Can we solve this algebraically, the thought of using ratios never occurred to me (for mixtures), I was trying to solve it algebraically and then it went downhill from there. :(
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1414

Kudos [?]: 7347 [0], given: 186

Re: At a certain paint store "forest green" is made by mixing 4 parts blue [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 10:15
Expert's post
tejhpamarthi wrote:
At a certain paint store forest green is made by mixing 4parts of blue and 3 parts of yellow paint. verdant green is made by 4 parts of yellow and 3 parts of blue paint. how many litres of yellow paint must be added to 14litres of forest green to change it to verdant green?
a)10 3/2 b)11 3/2 c)14 3/4 d)15 5/6 e) 18 2/3

You can use mixtures formula.

Method 2: We need to mix 14 litres of forest green(3/7 parts yellow) with yellow paint to give us verdant green (4/7 parts yellow).

Using mixtures formula:
Lets say we need x litres of yellow paint. This entire x will be yellow paint so fraction is 1.

\(\frac{(3/7)*14 + 1*x}{14 + x} = \frac{4}{7}\)

x = 14/3 litres

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 311

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: At a certain paint store "forest green"is made by [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2014, 05:04
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 311

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: At a certain paint store "forest green"is made by mixing 4 p [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2015, 20:28
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Followers: 117

Kudos [?]: 753 [0], given: 49

Re: At a certain paint store "forest green"is made by mixing 4 p [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2015, 16:15
Expert's post
Hi All,

This question is essentially just about ratios and the average formula. You can actually do the math in a few different ways, but sometimes it's easiest to just break simple calculations down into their components:

We're told that we have 14 liters of "forest green" paint. Forest green paint is 4 parts blue paint and 3 parts yellow paint. With this information, we know that the 14 liters we currently have is....

14 liters of forest green = 8 liters blue paint + 6 liters yellow paint

"Verdant green" paint is 3 parts blue paint and 4 parts yellow paint. We're asked how many liters of YELLOW paint must be ADDED to the 14 liters of forest green paint to convert that paint into verdant green paint.

Since Verdant green paint uses the ratio of blue to yellow as B/Y = 3/4, we can use the current amount of blue paint that we have to figure out how much TOTAL yellow paint we need.

With 8 liters of blue, we can solve for TOTAL yellow:

8/Y = 3/4
3Y = 32
Y = 10 2/3 liters of TOTAL yellow paint are needed....

We currently have 6 liters of yellow paint, so we need....

10 2/3 - 6 = 4 2/3 MORE yellow paint.

Final Answer:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Official Guide 2016 Question Breakdown:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/empowergmat-blog-198415.html#p1527977

Rich Cohen
Rich.C@empowergmat.com
http://www.empowergmat.com

GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount

EMPOWERgmat Podcast - A Wild Secret About The GMAT Algorithm

Re: At a certain paint store "forest green"is made by mixing 4 p   [#permalink] 25 Apr 2015, 16:15