Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1128 [99]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618940 [44]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [11]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 2: 620
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: At a certain university, the ratio of the number of teaching assistant [#permalink]
can someone explain in further detail the relationship between the teaching assistants to the number of students in any course must always be greater than 3:80 and how to reason through this portion? I understand how to solve for x. Once I was at this point I think was stumped on which number to select and inevitably chose to round up. My rational being .33 of a student is not possible therefore it must represent the position of an entire student. Thoughts? Help?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: At a certain university, the ratio of the number of teaching assistant [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel,

That is very clear. Thanks for breaking it down like that as it is more clear in order to solve future problems.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [2]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Kudos
A ratio of Teacher/Student > 3/80

In words;
3 Teachers teach < 80 students
1 teacher teaches < 80/3 students
5 teachers teach < (80/3)*5 students
5 teachers teach < 400/3 students
5 teachers teach < 133.33 students

Students can only be integers
5 teachers teach < 134 students

or a maximum of 133 Students.

Ans: "D"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2095 [3]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Kudos
hi,

I solved it this way, any suggestions always welcome

c/b > 3/80 ( from question)

5/b > 3 / 80
(80 x 5 / 3) > b

This reduces to

133.3333 > b

So the number of burgers have to be less than 133.33 & as u dont get 0.33 burger in Mc Donalds :-) Max burgers is 133

Give me a Big Kudoos Meal Combo if this helps :-P

Originally posted by boomtangboy on 12 Mar 2012, 23:42.
Last edited by boomtangboy on 12 Mar 2012, 23:55, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [6]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
The question states that the ratio must always be greater than 3:80, not the number of students (or burgers). So when you calculate the ratio \(\frac{5}{x}>\frac{3}{80}\), increasing the value of \(x\) will decrease the ratio \(\frac{5}{x}\), and decreasing the value of \(x\) will increase the ratio \(\frac{5}{x}\).

If you calculate the number of burgers to be 133.3, then decide whether to round up or down, understand what will happen to the ratio of \(\frac{5}{x}\).

If \(\frac{5}{133.33}=\frac{3}{80}\), and that is the minimum (because \(\frac{5}{x}\) must always be greater than \(\frac{3}{80}\)), what happens if you round \(x\) up to 134? Is \(\frac{5}{134}\) > or < \(\frac{3}{80}\)?

As explained above, if you increase \(x\) to 134, then the ratio \(\frac{5}{x}\) is decreased, and it will be less than the minimum of \(\frac{3}{80}\). If you round \(x\) down to 133, then the ratio \(\frac{5}{x}\) will increase, and you will not violate the condition that it must always be greater than \(\frac{3}{80}\).

Looking at it another way, if we know that the ratio of assistants to students must always be greater than 3:80, then we know that for any given number of assistants, there is a maximum number of students allowed. For every assistant, a maximum of 26.66 students are allowed (80/3). So if there is 1 assistant and 27 students, that is too many. 26 is the maximum number of students allowed if there is only 1 assistant in order to keep the ratio greater than 3:80. Using the same logic, if there are 5 assistants, then the maximum number of students allowed is 133.33. If there were 134 students that would be more than the maximum, therefore the maximum number of students allowed is 133.

Does that help?

Cheers
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [2]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
scorpio7 wrote:
At a certain university, the ratio of the number of teaching assistants to the number of students in any course must always be greater than 3:80. At this university , what is the maximum number of students possible in a course that has 5 teaching assistants?

A. 130
B. 131
C. 132
D. 133
E. 134

\(\frac{Assistant}{Student} > \frac{3}{80}\)

\(\frac{5}{Student} > \frac{3}{80}\)

\(Student < \frac{(5*80)}{3}\)

\(Student < \frac{(400)}{3}\)

i.e. \(Student < 133.33\)

i.e. Maximum value of No. of students = 133

Answer: option D
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6426 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT Date: 11-23-2015
GPA: 3.6
WE:Science (Other)
Send PM
Brute Force Method:

\(\frac{3}{80}\) As we are looking to a similar ratio for 5 assistants instead of 3, convert the both numerator (3) and denominator (80) to multiple of 5 by multiplying with 5

\(\frac{3*5}{80*5}\)equivalent to

\(\frac{15}{400}\)

Now as we need ratio for 05 assistants; again divide both numerator and denominator with 3. Pay attention to denominator which we need to answer:

\(\frac{5}{133.33}\) (Post division of both numerator and denominator with 03)

DONE

Maximum students could be 133 because if students 134 ratio would be less.

Hope it helps!!!!
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22051 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
satishreddy wrote:
At a certain university, the ratio of the number of teaching assistants to the number of students in any course must always be greater than 3:80. At this university, what is the maximum number of students possible in a course that has 5 teaching assistants?
A. 130
B. 131
C. 132
D. 133
E. 134

We are given that the ratio of the number of teaching assistants to the number of students in any course must always be greater than 3:80, and we need to determine the maximum number of students possible in a course that has 5 teaching assistants. Let’s use the following formula, in which t = 5 = the number of teaching assistants and s = the number of students.

t/s> 3/80

5/s > 3/80

400 > 3s

400/3 > s

133.33 > s

Since s must be a whole number, the largest possible value of s is 133.

Answer: D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Hello Bunuel,

As per your explanation here, then max should be A: 130 to be greater than 3/80. Is my thinking correct.

Bunuel wrote:
spyguy wrote:
can someone explain in further detail the relationship between the teaching assistants to the number of students in any course must always be greater than 3:80 and how to reason through this portion? I understand how to solve for x. Once I was at this point I think was stumped on which number to select and inevitably chose to round up. My rational being .33 of a student is not possible therefore it must represent the position of an entire student. Thoughts? Help?

At a certain university, the ratio of the number of teaching assistants to the number of students in any course must always be greater than 3:80. At this university, what is the maximum number of students possible in a course that has 5 teaching assistants?
A. 130
B. 131
C. 132
D. 133
E. 134

Given: \(\frac{assistants}{students}>\frac{3}{80}\) --> \(assistants=5\), so \(\frac{5}{s}>\frac{3}{80}\) --> \(s_{max}=?\)

\(\frac{5}{s}>\frac{3}{80}\) --> \(s<\frac{5*80}{3}\approx{133.3}\) --> so \(s_{max}=133\).

Answer: D.

\(\frac{assistants}{students}>\frac{3}{80}\) relationship means that if for example # of assistants is 3 then in order \(\frac{assistants}{students}>\frac{3}{80}\) to be true then # of students must be less than 80 (so there must be less than 80 students per 3 assistants) on the other hand if # of students is for example 80 then the # of assistants must be more than 3 (so there must be more than 3 assistants per 80 students).

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Aaron,

Bunuel's explanation is, of course, correct. The answer is D.

Think of it this way:
If you have a ratio \(\frac{a}{b}\), and you want to increase the value of that ratio, there are two ways you can do that. You can either increase the numerator or decrease the denominator. In our case, we want to choose the denominator so that the resulting ratio is less than the given value \(\frac{3}{80}\). To do that we will have to increase the denominator as much as we can so that the ratio \(\frac{assistants}{students}\) is still greater than \(\frac{3}{80}\). But if we increase the denominator too much the ratio of assistants to students will drop below our limit of \(\frac{3}{80}\).

Imagine a simpler scenario where the target ratio wasn't \(\frac{3}{80}\), but instead \(\frac{5}{80}\). In that case the greatest number of students that would be allowed and still maintain the ratio of assistants to students greater than \(\frac{5}{80}\) would be 79. One more student and the ratio would be equal to, not greater than \(\frac{5}{80}\).

In our problem, we want the maximum number of students such that the ratio \(\frac{assistants}{students}>\frac{3}{80}\). You can solve this algebraically, as has been done above to find that students must be less than 133.3. The largest integer less than 133.3 is 133. If we decrease the students down to 130, then the ratio will indeed be larger than the target of \(\frac{3}{80}\), but we still have space to add more students and still maintain the ratio greater than \(\frac{3}{80}\).

I hope it helps!

aaronTgmaT wrote:
Hello Bunuel,

As per your explanation here, then max should be A: 130 to be greater than 3/80. Is my thinking correct.

Bunuel wrote:
spyguy wrote:

A. 130
B. 131
C. 132
D. 133
E. 134

Given: \(\frac{assistants}{students}>\frac{3}{80}\) --> \(assistants=5\), so \(\frac{5}{s}>\frac{3}{80}\) --> \(s_{max}=?\)

\(\frac{5}{s}>\frac{3}{80}\) --> \(s<\frac{5*80}{3}\approx{133.3}\) --> so \(s_{max}=133\).

Answer: D.

\(\frac{assistants}{students}>\frac{3}{80}\) relationship means that if for example # of assistants is 3 then in order \(\frac{assistants}{students}>\frac{3}{80}\) to be true then # of students must be less than 80 (so there must be less than 80 students per 3 assistants) on the other hand if # of students is for example 80 then the # of assistants must be more than 3 (so there must be more than 3 assistants per 80 students).

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 732
Send PM
I got this incorrect only because I think I rounded before I needed to. Can someone let me know if this is the reason why?

I got to the point where 133.33 > x but then I just rounded down and assumed 133 > x, which I think was wrong. By doing that, I flipped it so that x < 133 and then I chose 132 but I really should've phrased it such that x < 133.33 and chose 133. Ugh so dumb.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64910 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
thesip2323 wrote:
I got this incorrect only because I think I rounded before I needed to. Can someone let me know if this is the reason why?

I got to the point where 133.33 > x but then I just rounded down and assumed 133 > x, which I think was wrong. By doing that, I flipped it so that x < 133 and then I chose 132 but I really should've phrased it such that x < 133.33 and chose 133. Ugh so dumb.

Yes, you have identified your problem. It should be x < 133.33 and since you need an integer value, x = 133.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64910 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
scorpio7 wrote:
At a certain university, the ratio of the number of teaching assistants to the number of students in any course must always be greater than 3:80. At this university , what is the maximum number of students possible in a course that has 5 teaching assistants?

A. 130
B. 131
C. 132
D. 133
E. 134

Ratio of \(\frac{T}{S} > \frac{3}{80}\)

What this means is that if you have 3 TAs, then you must have less than 80 students. Max number of students you can have then is 79.
If you have 80 students, then you must have more than 3 TAs. Hence, you must have at least 4 TAs in this case.

In terms of 5 TAs, what is this ratio equivalent to?

\(\frac{3}{80} = \frac{5}{S}\)
S = 133.33

Ratio of \(\frac{T}{S} > \frac{5}{133.33}\)

So if you have 5 TAs, then you must have less than 133.33 students.

Hence, the maximum number of students you can have with 5 TAs is 133.

Answer (D)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92912 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts