Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Ryerson (Ted Rogers) Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 536 [29]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 410 Q33 V13
WE:Management Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [25]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [6]
Given Kudos: 167
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 712 [3]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Re: At a constant Rate of flow, it takes 20 minutes to fill a swimming poo [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
can be done in a few ways.

The std way

time taken to fill the pool by Large Hose =20 minutes =L or 1/L=1/20 similarly 1/S=1/30
simultaneously it will take 1/L+1/S=1/20+1/30=5/60=12 minutes

efficiency way (not necessarily the efficient way)

let l and s denote efficiency of large and small hose
efficiency = 100/time take to fill the pool=100/30=3.33% for smaller hose
similarly 100/20=5% for the larger hose
working together 8.33% per minute
time taken = 100/8.33 ===12.0048 ~ 12 minutes
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: At a constant Rate of flow, it takes 20 minutes to fill a swimming poo [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi All,

This is a standard Work Formula question (2 or more 'entities' that work on a task together). When there are just 2 entities and there are no 'twists' to the question, we can use the Work Formula to get to the correct answer.

Work = (A)(B)/(A+B) where A and B are the individual times needed to complete the task.

We're told that two hoses take 20 minutes and 30 minutes, respectively, to fill a pool. We're asked how long it takes the two hoses, working together, to fill the pool.

(20)(30)/(20+30) = 600/50 = 12 minutes to fill the pool.

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

But how do we know when we have to convert minutes to hours? What is an example of a more twisted problem?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
HI sagnik242,

The simple answer to your question is that we have to follow whatever 'instructions' we're given in the prompt. Here, we're given the two rates (time to fill the pool) in terms of 'minutes' and we're asked for an answer in 'minutes.' As such, there are no 'twists' or extra steps (and converting minutes to hours would like make all the work take longer).

If you're looking for more-complex Work questions, then you can search for them in the Quant Forums here.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
At a constant Rate of flow, it takes 20 minutes to fill a swimming poo [#permalink]
Kudos
I had approached the question by picking numbers, but not sure if this is correct - can someone please verify if I what did below is correct or not?

Since in the question, they don't tell us the quantity to fill the pool with each hose, I just chose 60 liters as an estimate, therefore:

For large hose: 60L /20 min = 3L in 1 min
For small hose: 60L/30 min = 2L in 1 min

Combined rates: 3L + 2L = 5L in 1 min together, so if we wanted to find how much it would take to fill up to the original 60L, that would mean you multiplied 5L by 12, therefore, 60 L would fill up in 12 min with the two hoses. Does this make sense or is the approach of picking numbers incorrect?

Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi infinitemac,

YES - your approach (TESTing VALUES) works just fine on this question. Since the prompt tells us nothing about the actual rates of the two hoses nor about the volume of the swimming pool, you can choose whatever values you like - as long as they properly account for the times that it takes the two hoses to fill the pool individually.

Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
Send PM
20*30/(20+30)= 12 mins
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29930 [2]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
RSOHAL wrote:
At a constant Rate of flow, it takes 20 minutes to fill a swimming pool if a large hose is used and 30 minutes if a small hose is Used. At these constant rates, how many minutes will it take to fill the pool when both hoses are used simultaneously?

A. 10
B. 12
C. 15
D. 25
E. 50

Let's assign a nice value to the volume of the pool. We want a volume that works well with the given information (20 minutes and 30 minutes).
So, let's say the pool has a total volume of 60 gallons

It takes 20 minutes to fill a swimming pool with a LARGE hose
In other words, the LARGE hose can pump 60 gallons of water in 20 minutes
So, the RATE of the large hose = 3 gallons per minute

It takes 30 minutes to fill a swimming pool with a SMALL hose
In other words, the SMALL hose can pump 60 gallons of water in 30 minutes
So, the RATE of the small hose = 2 gallons per minute

So, the COMBINED rate of BOTH pumps = 3 gallons per minute + 2 gallons per minute = 5 gallons per minute

How many minutes will it take to fill the pool when both hoses are used simultaneously?
We need to pump 60 gallons of water, and the combined rate is 5 gallons per minute
Time = output/rate
= 60/5
= 12 minutes

Answer: B

Cheers.
Brent
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6275 [3]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Kudos