Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 16:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

At a recent session, the French government has decided that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 44

At a recent session, the French government has decided that [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 02:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

56% (01:31) correct 43% (00:23) wrong based on 30 sessions
At a recent session, the French government has decided that Paris needs a second, larger opera house to complement the famous Paris Opera.
(A) has decided that Paris needs
(B) decided that Paris needs
(C) has decided that Paris will need
(D) decided that Paris has a need of
(E) has decided that Paris needed
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

MGMAT CAT MATH mgmat-cat-math-144609.html
MGMAT SC SUMMARY: mgmat-sc-summary-144610.html

Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
WE: Corporate Finance (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 7

Re: At a recent session, the French government [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 02:18
monir6000 wrote:
At a recent session, the French government has decided that Paris needs a second, larger opera house to complement the famous Paris Opera.
(A) has decided that Paris needs
(B) decided that Paris needs
(C) has decided that Paris will need
(D) decided that Paris has a need of
(E) has decided that Paris needed

B
There is a clear time point "at a recent session" - past simple. + Paris needs, because other phrases are wordy.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: At a recent session, the French government [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 06:21
why "Has Decided" options cancelled out vs. "Decided"?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
WE: Corporate Finance (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 7

Re: At a recent session, the French government [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 06:31
This post received
KUDOS
aalba005 wrote:

See my explanation above.

Here is the exact time given "At a recent session", so we should use past simple. The decision was made on the certain date. The decision process does not continue at this moment.
It is like saying "On Monday, the French government decided ..."
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: At a recent session, the French government [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 07:41
B.
e.g. Ministers decided that candidate is best among other candidates

present tense is required because the current situation of a past event and we have conveyed the past time using the past tense (decided)

One more example, e.g. Umpire decided that player A is faulty
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GRE 1: 2170 Q800 V700
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 15

Re: At a recent session, the French government [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 14:47
aalba005 wrote:

hi aalba005, there is another catch to the qn as well. There is need vs needs/needed. French govt is singular and hence should be 'needs'.

that leaves only A and B or has decided vs decided.

'has decided' is present perfect tense (has/have+past participle) which means that the action is still on in the present. for e.g., he has lived in italy for 3 years now (means he has lived and still residing in italy)

since the session has already happened in the past, and the action completed (decided), the correct tense would be decided.

thats how i got 'B'
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: At a recent session, the French government [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 19:59
tsheshraj wrote:
aalba005 wrote:

hi aalba005, there is another catch to the qn as well. There is need vs needs/needed. French govt is singular and hence should be 'needs'.

that leaves only A and B or has decided vs decided.

'has decided' is present perfect tense (has/have+past participle) which means that the action is still on in the present. for e.g., he has lived in italy for 3 years now (means he has lived and still residing in italy)

since the session has already happened in the past, and the action completed (decided), the correct tense would be decided.

thats how i got 'B'

This is partially correct because present perfect can be used to describe an event that started in past and whose effect is present till now. I have lived in Italy does not necessarily mean that i am living there at present.

Decided is use because we are talking about a specific event in past.
Whenever we want to quote a specific time we use Simple past and whenever we want to quote a time that started in past and continue up to present we will use present perfect (See below post for more uses of Present perfect)
e.g. Yesterday, I ate at Burger King (Simple past)
In the last week, i have eaten twice at burger king (present perfect)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: At a recent session, the French government [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 20:00
When to use Present Perfect and Simple Past

Simple past is used whenever we want to highlight a specific instance of time in past.
e.g. yesterday, I played for 2 hours
I took my GMAT on 30th April

Present Perfect is used whenever
a) we want to specify an instance that happened in past but we don't know when it happened.
e.g. I have been to London

b) we want to specify an instance that took place in past and is true till present
e.g. I have loved her since we married
"For - to specify a period of time" and "Since - to specify a specific time" time indicators are used here

c) we want to specify an instance that took place in past, is finished but whose effect is present till now
e.g. I have cleaned my room
In the last week, i have eaten twice at burger king (present perfect)
Last week, i ate 2 times at burger king (simple past)
Notice the difference b/w In the last week & last week in 2nd and 3rd sentences above
Re: At a recent session, the French government   [#permalink] 24 Apr 2012, 20:00