Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 13:11

Happy Labor Day:

Free Access to New GMATClub Tests for all GMATClub Members!!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

At a two-day seminar, 90 percent of those registered attende

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
At a two-day seminar, 90 percent of those registered attende [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2005, 22:41
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

78% (02:01) correct 22% (01:01) wrong based on 53 sessions
At a two-day seminar, 90 percent of those registered attended the seminar on the first day. What percent of those registered did not attend the seminar on either day?

(1) A total of 1,000 people registered for the two-day seminar.

(2) Of those registered, 80 percent attended the seminar on the second day.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: At a two-day seminar, 90 percent of those registered attende [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2005, 10:30
At a two day seminar, 90% of those registered attended the seminar on the first day. What percent of those registered did not attend the seminar on either day?

(1) A total of 1,000 people registered for the two-day seminar
(2) Of those registered, 80% attended the seminar on the 2nd day

Main Stem: 90% attended on First Day

Statement I:
1000 Registered....We dont know how many attended on Second Day And how many attended on both the days......Insufficient

Statement II:
80% on II day; We dont know how many attended on both the days to find the NONE.......Insufficient

Even after combining Statements I & II, we dont get the percentage attended on both the days to calculate the percentage who didnt attend at all....

Hence Answer is E
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: At a two-day seminar, 90 percent of those registered attende [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2005, 11:06
Kishore wrote:
At a two day seminar, 90% of those registered attended the seminar on the first day. What percent of those registered did not attend the seminar on either day?

Main Stem: 90% attended on First Day

Statement I:
1000 Registered....We dont know how many attended on Second Day And how many attended on both the days......Insufficient

Statement II:
80% on II day; We dont know how many attended on both the days to find the NONE.......Insufficient

Even after combining Statements I & II, we dont get the percentage attended on both the days to calculate the percentage who didnt attend at all....

Hence Answer is E

Wouldn't the answer be C, if we knew that every participant registered had to attend the seminar on both the days?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: At a two-day seminar, 90 percent of those registered attende [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2005, 12:39
nothing tells us about the intersection

E is the answer

it is possible that 80% of the people on the second day were from 90 % on the first day - answer in that case is 100

But it is also possible that the 10 % who did not attend on he first day attended on the second day

therefore the answer to the question can be 0
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: At a two-day seminar, 90 percent of those registered attende [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2005, 00:24
(1) 1000 people registered: only information we can get is 900 people attended on day 1. Not sufficient.

(2) We do not know how many attended. Not sufficient.

Using both, still not sufficient as we do not know if the 80% comprised of the remaining 10% that did not attend on day1.

Ans: E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: At a two-day seminar, 90 percent of those registered attende [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2005, 02:36
TeHCM wrote:

Stmt1 : Nothing is known about the second day. so insuff.
Stmt2: Number of people registered is unknown so insuff.
Combined: % of people who attended on both days is not given. So insuff.

Hence E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: At a two-day seminar, 90 percent of those registered attende [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2005, 15:44
E.

not possible to determine unless we know the % of registered who attended the seminar both the days.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: At a two-day seminar, 90 percent of those registered attende [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2006, 15:30
The answer is E. We do not have enough information to solve this problem, because we don't know what percentage the overlap of attendance was between the two days. For example, all 80% that attended the second day also attended the first day. This would result in 10 % of people who didn't attend either day. however, if only 7/8 of the 80% that attended the second day also attended the first day, then you'd have 0% that attended either day. Since we could have multiple values that fulfill this, we cannot answer the question.

Statement 1 is irrelevant.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: At a two-day seminar, 90 percent of those registered attende [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2007, 12:03
I am getting E on this one.

1) INSUFFICIENT: This tells us that 900 people attended the seminar on the first day. 100 people did not atttend. But we know nothing about day 2.

2) INSUFFICIENT: We don't have any numbers to calculate how many people actually went to the seminar on both days.

Together: We know that 100 people did not attend on day 1 and that 200 people did not attend on day 2. But these could be unique people, so that 0% did not attend the seminars on either day. It could also be that the 100 people who did not attend on day 1 did not attend on day 2. So together insufficient.

A venn diagram would only be useful if we knew something about the overlap, ie how many people who went to the seminar on day 1 that also went on day 2. Since we have nothing on that, I am thinking E.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: At a two-day seminar, 90 percent of those registered attende [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2007, 12:16
I would say E, because you don't know how much overlap there is between the first and second days.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: At a two-day seminar, 90 percent of those registered attende [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2007, 12:22
leeye84 wrote:
At a two-day seminar, 90% of those registered attended the seminar on the first day. What percent of those registered did not attend the seminar on either day?

1) A total of 1000 people registered for the two-day seminar.
2) Of those registered, 80% attended the seminar on the second day.

I'm lost on this one. I think Venn Diagram should be used here, but I have no idea how to apply it. Please help. Thanks!

E. We do not know who registered on the first day and who did for the second day. there could be possibility that those registered for the first day did also register for the second day as well. it is also possible that those did not register for the first day also did not register for the second day.

i donot know how to draw a ven diagram on the computer. but if you can, it would clearly help.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Data sets [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2014, 09:54
Hi There,

Got the question below, and I am not sure if my approach is correct.
Question is attached.

Here is my solution:
1) Insufficient
2) Insufficient
Together: --> to solve this together we need to know whether the 90% includes both days or just one. Likewise for 80%. It looks like both of them would include both days but we cannot assume. I guess because of that both of these are insuffiecient? Not sure what the real reason is. Hoping that someone can help me out.

Thanks,

Yela
Attachments

Q1_sets.png
Q1_sets.png [ 21.39 KiB | Viewed 386 times ]

Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3429

Kudos [?]: 25217 [0], given: 2702

Re: At a two-day seminar, 90 percent of those registered attende [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2014, 10:06
Expert's post
Yela wrote:
Hi There,

Got the question below, and I am not sure if my approach is correct.
Question is attached.

Here is my solution:
1) Insufficient
2) Insufficient
Together: --> to solve this together we need to know whether the 90% includes both days or just one. Likewise for 80%. It looks like both of them would include both days but we cannot assume. I guess because of that both of these are insuffiecient? Not sure what the real reason is. Hoping that someone can help me out.

Thanks,

Yela

Merging similar topics. Please refer to the discussion above and ask if anything remains unclear.

P.S. Please read carefully and follow: rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html Pay attention to rules 1, 3, and 6. Thank you.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: At a two-day seminar, 90 percent of those registered attende   [#permalink] 30 Jun 2014, 10:06