Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 16:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

At an orientation meeting, the travelers were told that a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

At an orientation meeting, the travelers were told that a [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2005, 06:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

87% (01:36) correct 12% (00:41) wrong based on 40 sessions
At an orientation meeting, the travelers were told that a visa, a landing card, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever would be needed by each of them.
A. a visa, a landing card, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever would be needed by each of them
B. they would need a visa, a landing visa, and evidence of their being inoculated against typhoid fever
C. they would need evidence of being inoculated against typhoid fever and a visa and landing card
D. they would each need a visa, a landing card, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever
E. they would need visas, landing cards, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever for each of them.
4 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 388

Kudos [?]: 1526 [4] , given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: At an orientation meeting, the travelers were told that a [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 10:35
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
okdongdong wrote:
At an orientation meeting, the travelers were told that a visa, a landing card, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever would be needed by each of them.
(A) a visa, a landing card, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever would be needed by each of them
(B) they would need a visa, a landing visa, and evidence of their being inoculated against typhoid fever
(C) they would need evidence of being inoculated against typhoid fever and a visa and landing card
(D) they would each need a visa, a landing card, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever
(E) they would need visas, landing cards, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever for each of them.

sujit2k7 wrote:
Can u please post your ans for this question. I am not sure what is wrong in A.

I am responding to a private message from sujit2k7. I like this SC question. Here's a full analysis.

(A) a visa, a landing card, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever would be needed by each of them
This answer is 100% grammatically correct, but unfortunately, it's in the passive structure, which makes it weak, indirect, and flaccid. The passive voice is not always wrong, but when an active alternative is readily available, the passive will never be correct on the GMAT. For more on this see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/active-vs- ... -the-gmat/
If all four other answers were completely wrong, we might have to settle for (A), because at least it's free of grammatical error, but we strongly suspect that we will find something considerably stronger.
(B) they would need a visa, a landing visa, and evidence of their being inoculated against typhoid fever
This one starts out strong, but the phrase "...evidence of their being inoculated against ..." is an abomination. This is like a giant flashing neon sign that says: take this answer choice out back and shoot it! (B) is incorrect.
(C) they would need evidence of being inoculated against typhoid fever and a visa and landing card
There no way this choice could be correct, but it wins a comedy award. First of all, it has the "evidence of being inoculated against" flaw, like (B), but what's great is that the horrible word order suggests folks have to be inoculated against typhoid, inoculated against a visa, and inoculated against a landing card! Good laughs, but (C) is flamboyantly incorrect.
(D) they would each need a visa, a landing card, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever
Direct, clear, sleek, elegant --- a very strong candidate for the correct answer.
(E) they would need visas, landing cards, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever for each of them.
This one is indefinably awkward. First of all, we are conflating what they need collectively with what they need individually. Furthermore, the "each of them" structure at the end is awkward --- does each of them have their own brand of typhoid fever, thereby each needing his own kind of inoculation?? This is awkward and puzzling, not a good example of clear & strong writing.

Overall, the best possible answer is (D), as many folks on this page have already concluded.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2005, 07:10
B & C are out because of 'being'; E uses plural

D is my answer
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2005, 07:14
D is my choice.

A. a visa, a landing card, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever would be needed by each of them
- Need needed of instead of needed by
B. they would need a visa, a landing visa, and evidence of their being inoculated against typhoid fever
- no need of their being... just being would work..
C. they would need evidence of being inoculated against typhoid fever and a visa and landing card
- no parallelism at all.. multiple and's
D. they would each need a visa, a landing card, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever
- Perfect, no problem. They would each need 3 things...
E. they would need visas, landing cards, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever for each of them.
- plurals mixed with singular, for each of them...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2005, 08:01
D it is.

A is out. "Each of them" is unnecessary.
B is out. "their being innoculated" is grammatically incorrect
C is out. The list of items lacks parallelism
E is out. "Each of them" is unnecessary.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2005, 08:28
A is out. Bad sentence phrasing.
B is out. 'their being innoculated' is bad English
C is awkward as well
D is the best. 'each need a.....'
E suggests they need many visa/landing cards which is absurd.

D for me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2005, 12:24
IMO, D is the correct answer.

They would each need 3 items.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ROSS PT 2012
WE 1: Mech Engineer - General Electric - 2yrs
WE 2: Lead Mech Engineer - Ingersoll Rand - 4 yrs
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: orientation meeting [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2010, 13:33

they would each need a x,a y,and z: a visa(noun phrase) , a landing card(noun phrase) and evidence(noun) are parallel in structure.
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: orientation meeting [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2010, 15:30
+1 D 8-)

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 65

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: orientation meeting [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2010, 17:03
one more vote for D.

I consider E wrong because 'for each of them' is redundant.

For each of them also says that each of travelers need multiple visas and landing cards.

Consider KUDOS if my post was helpful. :-D

My Debrief: 750-q49v42-105591.html#p825487

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,NY Stern,INSEAD,Stanford

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: orientation meeting [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 00:30
+1 for D
"being" is almost always wrong.

Regards,
Nagesh
My GMAT Study Plan: my-gmat-study-plan-112833.html
Idioms List : gmat-idioms-104283.html?hilit=idioms#p813231
--------------------------------------
Consider Kudos if you like my posts

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 561

GMAT Tests User
Re: At an orientation meeting, the travelers were told that a [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 19:36
I got the right answer which is D but I don't quite understand why A and E are wrong.
Please help.

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 186

Re: At an orientation meeting, the travelers were told that a [#permalink] New post 14 May 2013, 11:51
Hi mike,
I have a query.
As the sentence initially uses passive voice(were told),we still would try to work on active voice for rest of sentence?
Intern
Intern
Sat: V
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 07-22-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 14

Re: At an orientation meeting, the travelers were told that a [#permalink] New post 14 May 2013, 13:45
Hi Mike,

I also ruled out option E but that was because of the usage of plurals - visas , landing cards whereas this is clearly not used in any other option.

is this correct?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 388

Kudos [?]: 1526 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: At an orientation meeting, the travelers were told that a [#permalink] New post 15 May 2013, 09:19
Expert's post
up4gmat wrote:
Hi mike,
I have a query.
As the sentence initially uses passive voice(were told),we still would try to work on active voice for rest of sentence?

Dear up4gmat,
There's no rule that one has to be "passive-consistent" throughout a sentence. In general, switching from active to passive makes the sentence shorter, more direct, and more powerful. We can't do anything about the part before the underlining ---- might we be able to write an even better sentence if we were able to rewrite that part as well? Perhaps, but that's never our concern on SC. On GMAT SC, we are trying to make the underlined part as good as it can be, given the five choices. Given that we get some say about this underlined part, we would opt for active over passive, all other things being equal.
If there were a single subject, and two verbs in parallel, obviously if the first verb were passive, then the second would have to passive. Here, though, we have a completely different subject & verb inside the "that" clause, and that's where the underlined is. Make it active. Does all this make sense?
mal208213 wrote:
Hi Mike,
I also ruled out option E but that was because of the usage of plurals - visas , landing cards whereas this is clearly not used in any other option. Is this correct?

Dear mal208213,
No, that's not correct. Just because one answer differs from the other four doesn't automatically mean that it's wrong. The GMAT loves to pepper the answer choices with different versions of grammatically correct ways to say the same thing, because they know GMAT test takers will treat these as "splits" and eliminate things that shouldn't be eliminated.
In this sentence, we could say:
... they would each need a visa, a landing card, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever.
or
... they would need visas, landing cards, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever for each of them.
Two perfectly valid ways to say the same thing. The word "each" is a magical word that renders a plural group singular, treating the group one member at a time, so that it justifies a singular verb and singular objects.
My seven friends all have new cars.
Each of my seven friends has a new car.
Again, two completely valid ways to say the same thing, even though one has a plural subject, plural verb, and plural object, and the other has a singular subject, singular verb, and singular object.
One of the biggest traps on the GMAT SC is falling for --- if these answers are different for those answer, one must be right, and one must be wrong. Difference, by itself, does not constitute a valid split. Be very careful with this.
Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: At an orientation meeting, the travelers were told that a   [#permalink] 15 May 2013, 09:19