Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 13:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

At many colleges today, regulations have been imposed that

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 1300
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 127 [1] , given: 0

At many colleges today, regulations have been imposed that [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2009, 00:47
1
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

57% (01:52) correct 43% (00:56) wrong based on 405 sessions
At many colleges today, regulations have been imposed that forbid the use in speech or print of language that “offends” or “insults” the members of any group, especially women and racial, ethnic, and religious minorities. Although these regulations are defended in the name of “democracy,” they restrict freedom of speech and the press in a way that opposes the true spirit of democracy.

The argument above attempts to prove its case primarily by

(A) impugning the credentials of an opponent
(B) providing examples that support a theoretical principle
(C) taking advantage of inconsistencies in the definition of “democracy”
(D) revealing a contradiction in an opposing point of view
(E) appealing to the patriotic feelings of its audience
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 881
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 7

Re: CR :colleges [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2009, 01:35
D.
The argument is using a contrast to make a point.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jan 2009
Posts: 6
Schools: rowan university
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR :colleges [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2009, 14:44
D.The argument is using a contrast to make a point.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 26 May 2008
Posts: 432
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 4

Re: CR :colleges [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2009, 20:28
Agree with D

Cheers,
Unplugged
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 1300
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 0

Re: CR :colleges [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2009, 05:55
OA is D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2008
Posts: 307
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 7

Re: CR :colleges [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 04:25
can u pls dissect the case with 2 point of views and inbuild contradictions ..will help me to understand it .
Thanks in advance .
_________________

"CEO in making"

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2009
Posts: 84
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: CR :colleges [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 16:22
Can anybody please explain why not C?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2008
Posts: 179
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR :colleges [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 17:28
1
This post received
KUDOS
At many colleges today, regulations have been imposed that forbid the use in speech or print of language that “offends” or “insults” the members of any group, especially women and racial, ethnic, and religious minorities. Although these regulations are defended in the name of “democracy,” they restrict freedom of speech and the press in a way that opposes the true spirit of democracy.

The argument above attempts to prove its case primarily by
(A) impugning the credentials of an opponent
(B) providing examples that support a theoretical principle
(C) taking advantage of inconsistencies in the definition of “democracy”
(D) revealing a contradiction in an opposing point of view
(E) appealing to the patriotic feelings of its audience

Conclusion: regulations have been imposed that forbid the use in speech or print of language
Evidence: Although these regulations are defended in the name of “democracy
Regulations restrict X and Y in a way that opposes the true spirit of democracy


Clearly the argument is proved by second portion. The although clause in evidence should be avoided.

Answer should be D.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2009
Posts: 84
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: CR :colleges [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2009, 17:30
thanks. +1
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jun 2009
Posts: 52
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 4

Re: CR :colleges [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 06:53
I am not convinced with the Answer D.

Whats the "opposing point of view" here ? ".. these regulations are defended in the name of “democracy" would mean that the regulations are protected/supported by democratic rules.. so this is actually a supporting view.. the fact that it does have a contradiction is a different thing.

(D) should have read "revealing a contradiction in a supporting point of view". Wotsay ?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2010
Posts: 377
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 89 [1] , given: 3439

Re: CR :colleges [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 08:01
1
This post received
KUDOS
I see what you're saying about C but I don't think it's the best answer here for a couple of reasons. "Democracy" isn't defined by its protection of free speech or free press but "the spirit of democracy" could be. Secondly, for the passage to be taking advantage of inconsistencies in the definition of democracy, it would need to call two separate definitions of "democracy" that clearly contradict each other. I don't think the passage is attempting to make that distinction. Instead, I think, its invoking the general understanding of "the spirit of democracy" and arguing partial censorship opposes that concept.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jun 2009
Posts: 52
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 4

Re: CR :colleges [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 08:17
coakleym wrote:
I see what you're saying about C but I don't think it's the best answer here for a couple of reasons. "Democracy" isn't defined by its protection of free speech or free press but "the spirit of democracy" could be. Secondly, for the passage to be taking advantage of inconsistencies in the definition of democracy, it would need to call two separate definitions of "democracy" that clearly contradict each other. I don't think the passage is attempting to make that distinction. Instead, I think, its invoking the general understanding of "the spirit of democracy" and arguing partial censorship opposes that concept.


C is not convincing either. I think none of the answers is a clear winner. A un-gmat like question would you say?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2010
Posts: 377
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 3439

Re: CR :colleges [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 08:28
kaptain wrote:
C is not convincing either. I think none of the answers is a clear winner. A un-gmat like question would you say?


Not sure. I like D and think its the best answer to the question but yeah, I agree, its definitely not the most straightforward of CR questions.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Aug 2009
Posts: 54
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [2] , given: 29

Re: CR :colleges [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 12:53
2
This post received
KUDOS
pmal04 wrote:
Can anybody please explain why not C?


C is not good because Democracy is not defined in the paragraph. C is outside the scope of the question. The question writer is hoping you use outside knowledge and information. You can only use the information provided. i hope that helps.
_________________

My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny - Elaine Maxwell

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Posts: 147
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: CR :colleges [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 14:46
its D
Tuck Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2009
Posts: 312
Location: Tbilisi, Georgia
Schools: Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 69

Re: CR :colleges [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 14:06
Somehow I think the correct ans should be (C):

Regulators say that any offensive or insulting language should be forbidden in the name of democracy.

Author of the argument contends that in no way should the freedom of speech be restricted, because doing so would oppose true spirit of democracy

Regulators and author have different perceptions of what democracy might mean.

Author uses ambiguous nature of term "democracy" to prove his point.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Feb 2010
Posts: 195
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 6

Re: CR :colleges [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 19:52
pmal04 wrote:
Can anybody please explain why not C?


The question if anything is expaining the inconsistencies in "freedom of speech" than in democracy --
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 242
Location: Bangalore, India
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 2

Re: CR :colleges [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 23:18
kaptain wrote:
I am not convinced with the Answer D.

Whats the "opposing point of view" here ? ".. these regulations are defended in the name of “democracy" would mean that the regulations are protected/supported by democratic rules.. so this is actually a supporting view.. the fact that it does have a contradiction is a different thing.

(D) should have read "revealing a contradiction in a supporting point of view". Wotsay ?


The author clearly supports that there should be “no” restriction on speech or print of language. The opposing point of view is what is actually implemented at many colleges today (there ‘are’ restrictions). The author reveals contradiction in that opposing point of view (by explaining democracy).
_________________

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Posts: 250
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 16

Re: CR :colleges [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2010, 01:34
D is better than C.
too bad I selected C :(
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Preparing for the another shot...!
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1425
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 129

Kudos [?]: 647 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: CR :colleges [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2011, 17:10
Expert's post
Re: CR :colleges   [#permalink] 06 Feb 2011, 17:10
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
At many colleges today, regulations have been imposed that goalsnr 16 03 Jul 2008, 18:28
At many colleges today, regulations have been imposed that nakib77 9 12 Oct 2005, 12:54
At many colleges today, regulations have been imposed that ywilfred 8 05 Sep 2005, 07:40
At many colleges today, regulations have been imposed that Antmavel 2 24 Mar 2005, 06:31
At many colleges today, regulations have been imposed that GMATPIPO 6 30 Dec 2004, 00:54
Display posts from previous: Sort by

At many colleges today, regulations have been imposed that

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 26 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.