Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 10:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Mar 2011
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-American companies [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 06:35
The answer is E. The claim is that in the world of technology American companies have lost international prestige. So the statement which does not support this claim is the one about 'food'. All the others are technology related.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Jan 2011
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: CR-American companies [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 08:30
E for me also. As rest of the options are about technology..whereas E is not...
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2010
Posts: 41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 23

Re: CR-American companies [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 09:02
E for me. The passege talks about quality and the public's perception of it. Food comes down to a Question of taste and that makes the answer choice the least appealing.
VP
VP
avatar
Status: There is always something new !!
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Joined: 08 May 2009
Posts: 1364
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 10

Re: CR-American companies [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 17:55
E it is,as nothing is being copied here.
_________________

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2011
Posts: 90
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 2

Re: CR-American companies [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 10:09
+1 for E
_________________

Fight till you succeed like a gladiator..or doom your life which can be invincible

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Apr 2010
Posts: 107
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User
CR-American companies [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 13:56
European cooking by europeans?

Ans b
_________________

GOAL: 7xx

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 May 2010
Posts: 46
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Re: CR-American companies [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 20:59
E. Food is out-of-scope. Odd out from the choices.

For those who chose C, even the name sounding like Japanese has been discussed. "Advertising".
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever
Joined: 20 Aug 2010
Posts: 102
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: CR-American companies [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2011, 05:23
IMO it is E, as all options except E, talks about technology in one or the other form. In option E , it is frozen foods, which is not any kind of technology.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 21
Schools: ISB
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: CR-American companies [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2011, 12:04
It has to be E . We are talking about America lagging in the field of technology . Every option strengthens that except the last one which talks about food .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Sep 2009
Posts: 271
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 6

Re: At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2012, 05:05
Straight E. Unless you want to tell me that frozen food is high technology.

Cheers.
_________________

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Posts: 235
Schools: Johnson '15
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 16

Re: At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2012, 05:38
apurva1985 wrote:
At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to imitate their American rivals. Today, American appliance manufacturers import European scientists to lead their research staffs; American automakers design cars that mimic the styling of German, Italian, and French imports; and American electronics firms boast in their advertising of Japanese-style devotion to quality and reliability. In the world of high technology, America has lost the battle for international prestige.

Each of the following statements, if true, would help to support the claim above EXCEPT:

(A) An American camera company claims in its promotional literature to produce cameras as fine as the best Swiss imports.
(B) An American maker of stereo components designs its products to resemble those of a popular Japanese firm.
(C) An American manufacturer of video games uses a brand name chosen because it sounds like a Japanese word.
(D) An American maker of televisions studies German-made televisions in order to adopt German manufacturing techniques.
(E) An American maker of frozen foods advertises its dinners as Real European-style entrees prepared by fine French and Italian chefs.

Please explain your answers .................


the claim is In the world of high technology, America has lost the battle for international prestige.

all the answers (A,B,C & D) talk of Hitech except E( which talks about food). Hence E is the odd man out.
_________________

Regards,
Harsha

Note: Give me kudos if my approach is right , else help me understand where i am missing.. I want to bell the GMAT Cat ;)

Satyameva Jayate - Truth alone triumphs

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2012
Posts: 59
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: LBS '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 3

Re: CR-American companies [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2012, 12:38
comebackkid wrote:
E, but for yet a different reason. In this choice the food is actually made by chefs from France and Italy whereas in the sitmulus the American production of high tech equipment was only made to appear more like that produced in other countries.


This is the only reasoning that makes sense, and I agree with E. Since E is the only one not talking about technology, but the people making it (European Chefs) it doesn't relate directly to the question. While the frozen food industry is actually very tech heavy (and extremely complex), "E" is actually talking about the chefs being prestigious not the process of freezing food being prestigious.

outside of that, very questionable CR type question. One could easily argue away "E".
_________________

That 700.. I can taste it

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Dec 2012
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 08:18
E is correct. the conclusion mentions that in the word high tech .... ,but the frozen food is not high tech
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 348
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 12

Re: At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 11:13
apurva1985 wrote:
At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to imitate their American rivals. Today, American appliance manufacturers import European scientists to lead their research staffs; American automakers design cars that mimic the styling of German, Italian, and French imports; and American electronics firms boast in their advertising of Japanese-style devotion to quality and reliability. In the world of high technology, America has lost the battle for international prestige.

Each of the following statements, if true, would help to support the claim above EXCEPT:

(A) An American camera company claims in its promotional literature to produce cameras as fine as the best Swiss imports.
(B) An American maker of stereo components designs its products to resemble those of a popular Japanese firm.
(C) An American manufacturer of video games uses a brand name chosen because it sounds like a Japanese word.
(D) An American maker of televisions studies German-made televisions in order to adopt German manufacturing techniques.
(E) An American maker of frozen foods advertises its dinners as Real European-style entrees prepared by fine French and Italian chefs.

Please explain your answers .................


i ask myself : What is the main point of the argument or what the author wants us to believe ?
The author wants us to belief that America has lost it's prestige in technology. He supports his assertion by various examples in the argument.
A-D is vehemently supporting author's argument. However E, talks about the food industry. That's now what author intends us to belief.

hence e.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 20 Feb 2011
Posts: 34
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 560 Q45 V23
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2013, 09:25
The answer has to be C.

(C) An American manufacturer of video games uses a brand name chosen because it sounds like a Japanese word.

This is the only option which doesn't talk about technology, prestige or quality, while all other option does.

I strongly feel, OA is not correct.

Answer E says

(E) An American maker of frozen foods advertises its dinners as Real European-style entrees prepared by fine French and Italian chefs.

This can't be the answer, as this option says that American maker of foods boasts of french and Italian chefs it employs, so obviously it adds to the idea that America has lost the battle for international prestige.

And did anyone say high-tech is not linked to food ? That's not true.
_________________

And many strokes, though with a little axe, hew down and fell the hardest-timbered oak. - William Shakespeare

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Apr 2013
Posts: 50
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 26

Re: At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2013, 22:30
apurva1985 wrote:
At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to imitate their American rivals. Today, American appliance manufacturers import European scientists to lead their research staffs; American automakers design cars that mimic the styling of German, Italian, and French imports; and American electronics firms boast in their advertising of Japanese-style devotion to quality and reliability. In the world of high technology, America has lost the battle for international prestige.

Each of the following statements, if true, would help to support the claim above EXCEPT:

(A) An American camera company claims in its promotional literature to produce cameras as fine as the best Swiss imports.
(B) An American maker of stereo components designs its products to resemble those of a popular Japanese firm.
(C) An American manufacturer of video games uses a brand name chosen because it sounds like a Japanese word.
(D) An American maker of televisions studies German-made televisions in order to adopt German manufacturing techniques.
(E) An American maker of frozen foods advertises its dinners as Real European-style entrees prepared by fine French and Italian chefs.

Please explain your answers .................


This was a tough one for me. They all seem to use foreign influences to suggest that American products are better as a result. I didn't even pay attention to the "high technology," part and focused on looking for an answer that didn't use non-american sources as a reason to buy the product. Tough one for me.

I think the explanation given here that made the most sense to me was how in (E), the food is actually made by french and italian chefs rather than claiming it is comparable.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2012
Posts: 29
GPA: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 35

Re: At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2013, 10:29
Must be (C)
It does not mention America lost technologically to Japan. It is just that the company named the product similar to a Japanese word.
In E, by involving chefs from Europe, America lost to Europe..

I can understand the stress on technology here. In that case, how can even (C) be wrong???

Please help me !!!
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2012
Posts: 1098
Location: United States
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 1311 [0], given: 120

Premium Member
Re: At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2013, 17:11
avinashrao9 wrote:
Must be (C)
It does not mention America lost technologically to Japan. It is just that the company named the product similar to a Japanese word.
In E, by involving chefs from Europe, America lost to Europe..

I can understand the stress on technology here. In that case, how can even (C) be wrong???

Please help me !!!


Hi Avinashrao9

I'm glad to help.

ANALYZE THE STIMULUS:

Fact: At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to imitate their American rivals.
Fact: Today, American appliance manufacturers import European scientists to lead their research staffs; American automakers design cars that mimic the styling of German, Italian, and French imports; and American electronics firms boast in their advertising of Japanese-style devotion to quality and reliability.
Conclusion: In the world of high technology, America has lost the battle for international prestige.

Each of the following statements, if true, would help to support the claim above EXCEPT:

ANALYZE EACH ANSWER:

NOTE:this is a comparison question, so objects MUST be parallel, e.g. technology vs technology, person vs person, etc….

(A) An American camera company claims in its promotional literature to produce cameras as fine as the best Swiss imports.
Wrong. American Camera technology losts to Swiss’s

(B) An American maker of stereo components designs its products to resemble those of a popular Japanese firm.
Wrong. American Stereo technology losts to Japan’s.

(C) An American manufacturer of video games uses a brand name chosen because it sounds like a Japanese word.
Wrong. C supports a conclusion a bit because C indirectly means An American manufacture of video games lost its competitive advantages over Japanese peer. Thus, it has to use a marketing strategy to lure customers.

(D) An American maker of televisions studies German-made televisions in order to adopt German manufacturing techniques.
Wrong. American TV technology losts to German’s.

(E) An American maker of frozen foods advertises its dinners as Real European-style entrees prepared by fine French and Italian chefs.
Correct. TRICKY. E says an American maker of frozen foods tries to imitate Real European-style entrees prepared by fine European CHEFS. E shifts objects from “American frozen food technology” to “European Chefs”. E just means American FROZEN food technology only losts to European CHEFS (person). E does NOT mean American FROZEN food technology lost to European peer – European FROZEN food technology. Thus, E does not support the claim and is correct. (See the NOTE above)

Between C and E, clearly E is stronger. Hence, E is correct.

Hope it helps.
_________________

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1667
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 276

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR-American companies [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 10:48
comebackkid wrote:
E, but for yet a different reason. In this choice the food is actually made by chefs from France and Italy whereas in the sitmulus the American production of high tech equipment was only made to appear more like that produced in other countries.


@ comebackkid I followed the same line of reasoning. +1 E
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Posts: 911
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 317

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2014, 21:46
What is the source of this question?
_________________

Rgds,
TGC!
_____________________________________________________________________
I Assisted You => KUDOS Please
_____________________________________________________________________________

Re: At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to   [#permalink] 09 Apr 2014, 21:46
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to ritjn2003 5 30 May 2009, 05:19
At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to crazyfin 2 22 Sep 2005, 23:10
At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to ywilfred 10 31 Aug 2005, 08:11
At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to rahul 4 08 Dec 2004, 23:42
At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to saurya_s 4 14 Oct 2004, 13:38
Display posts from previous: Sort by

At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 42 posts ] 



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.