Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 19:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 6

At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 11:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

38% (02:25) correct 62% (00:49) wrong based on 18 sessions
At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to imitate their American rivals. Today, American appliance manufacturers import European scientists to lead their research staffs; American automakers design cars that mimic the styling of German, Italian, and French imports; and American electronics firms boast in their advertising of “Japanese-style” devotion to quality and reliability. In the world of high technology, America has lost the battle for international prestige.

Each of the following statements, if true, would help to support the claim above EXCEPT:
(A) An American camera company claims in its promotional literature to produce cameras “as fine as the best Swiss imports.”
(B) An American maker of stereo components designs its products to resemble those of a popular Japanese firm.
(C) An American manufacturer of video games uses a brand name chosen because it sounds like a Japanese word.
(D) An American maker of televisions studies German-made televisions in order to adopt German manufacturing techniques.
(E) An American maker of frozen foods advertises its dinners as “Real European-style entrees prepared by fine French and Italian chefs.”
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: America has lost the battle for international prestige [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 11:44
seekmba wrote:
At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to imitate their American rivals. Today, American appliance manufacturers import European scientists to lead their research staffs; American automakers design cars that mimic the styling of German, Italian, and French imports; and American electronics firms boast in their advertising of “Japanese-style” devotion to quality and reliability. In the world of high technology, America has lost the battle for international prestige.

Each of the following statements, if true, would help to support the claim above EXCEPT:
(A) An American camera company claims in its promotional literature to produce cameras “as fine as the best Swiss imports.”
(B) An American maker of stereo components designs its products to resemble those of a popular Japanese firm.
(C) An American manufacturer of video games uses a brand name chosen because it sounds like a Japanese word.
(D) An American maker of televisions studies German-made televisions in order to adopt German manufacturing techniques.
(E) An American maker of frozen foods advertises its dinners as “Real European-style entrees prepared by fine French and Italian chefs.”

Except C, rest of the options say that american products are compared to some other countries products as a bench mark or uses the other countries people etc for producing the same in america.

C - just talks about a bran name and changing a brand name doesnt change the quality of a product.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: America has lost the battle for international prestige [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 12:40
>> This statement shows the american camera company has produced a camera which can compete with the best swiss imports.
This is the correct answer.
>> Imitates the designs
>> Imitates the brand name
>> Imitates manufacturing techniques
>> uses french and italian chefs to imitate their food.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: America has lost the battle for international prestige [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 13:05
IMO E

E is the only option where nothing is imitated but just a comparison is made

kudos +1 ?

Manager
Manager
Schools: kellogg, booth, stern, ann arbor
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 3

Re: America has lost the battle for international prestige [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 13:25
I would have to go with C. C says that the word "sounds" japanese. it doesn't say that it is a japanese word.

A,B, and D all seem to give an impression that America is following behind other countries or producing products that are "comparable" to their international counterparts instead of leading.

E tells that the American food is prepared by international chefs as opposed to American chefs preparing American food.

A,B,D, and E all seem to support the conclusion. Whats the OA?

Paaaaayyy Meeeee!!!!!

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 6

Re: America has lost the battle for international prestige [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2010, 10:12
In the world of high technology, America has lost the battle for international prestige.

The above last line in the stem says "In the world of high technology" and all the options except (E) talks about teachnology based products. Only option E presents a product which is not technology based. That is the only distinguishing factor I could find in doing my elimination.

I would pick (E) as my answer based on the above anaylsis and I might be wrong in my analysis and hence need expert opionion.

Would be curious to know if others have any other opinion in selecting option (E).
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.65
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Re: America has lost the battle for international prestige [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2010, 21:43
Would go with E since the Claim talks about High Tech and E is the only option which talks about the food and fine dining which is more of culture thing rather than anything related to High Tech.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: America has lost the battle for international prestige [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2010, 22:20
Go for E as comment related to food no where comes into the passage
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.78
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 11

Re: America has lost the battle for international prestige [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2010, 08:26
High technology seems to be a key word....Food is not equal to high technology
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: America has lost the battle for international prestige [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2011, 10:56
seekmba wrote:
In the world of high technology, America has lost the battle for international prestige.

The above last line in the stem says "In the world of high technology" and all the options except (E) talks about teachnology based products. Only option E presents a product which is not technology based. That is the only distinguishing factor I could find in doing my elimination.

I would pick (E) as my answer based on the above anaylsis and I might be wrong in my analysis and hence need expert opionion.

Would be curious to know if others have any other opinion in selecting option (E).

I would go for E too, but in addition to technological factor.
America doesn't lose its prestige when it advertises European foodies made by European people. But, in case of C, America's lack of confidence or its poorer status in the market that has caused it to imitate a Japanese word.
Sorry, I tried to put that reasonably understandable, but not sure if I conveyed it properly.

Thanks
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: America has lost the battle for international prestige [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2011, 07:12
E

A, B and D- mimic styling
C- to boost advertising
E- uses French and Italian chefs to make European style entrees.

"Always....Read between the lines"

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 29

Re: America has lost the battle for international prestige [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2011, 08:47
IMO E.
Conclusion is-high technology, America has lost the battle for international prestige.
Options A,B,C,D support the conclusion except E.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: America has lost the battle for international prestige [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2011, 09:09
I too think its E....cuisine has got nothing to do with technology....
dont think its C.....naming a product that sounds japanese seems to be a marketing trick so that the consumer feels that s/he is buying a better product because the fact(or rumour) that japanese technology is better is widely accepted......
Director
Director
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2011, 09:26
E is the Correct answer. Only this option says frozen food is mimic with other food of japan or french............

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Schools: Columbia university
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User
Re: At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2011, 10:59
I go with E, but whats the OA?

Sky is the limit

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2011, 11:04
imo e
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 23:17

This answer open the thought that the products (food) of US were made by foreign people, rather than American who adopt technology, innovation from others countries as 4 choices remain say.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 540 Q44 V21
GPA: 3.68
WE: Public Relations (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 22

Re: At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 00:23
An American maker of frozen foods advertises its dinners as “Real European-style entrees prepared by fine French and Italian chefs.”

first reason is that, it's not about high technology and another reason is that, is says american food maker offers real european food made by europeans, it's not immitation...

Flying from shadow to the light

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 11:25
E
Re: At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to   [#permalink] 26 Dec 2011, 11:25