Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 16:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

At present, the Hollywood restaurant has only standard

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

At present, the Hollywood restaurant has only standard [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2005, 07:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
At present, the Hollywood restaurant has only standard height tables. However, many customers come to watch celebrities who frequent Hollywood & they prefer tall tables in stools because such seating would afford better view of the celebrities. However, dinners seated on stools typically do not stay as long as diners seated on standard height tables. Therefore, if the Hollywood restaurant replaced some of its seating with higher tables and stools, its profits would increase.

The statement is vulnerable to criticism in that it gives reason to believe that it is likely that:
(a) Some celebrities come to Hollywood restaurant to be seen and so might choose to sit at tall tables if they are available
(b) The price of meals ordered by celebrities dining at Hollywood restaurant compensates for longer time, if any, that they spend lingering over their meals
(c) A customer of the Hollywood restaurant who would choose to sit at a tall table would be an exception to the generalisation about lingering
(d) A restaurant's customer who spends less time at their meal typically orders less expensive meals than those who remain at their meals longer
(e) With enough tall tables to accommodate all Hollywood restaurant's customers interested in such seating, there would be no view except of other tall tables

Last edited by ronybtl on 05 Dec 2005, 14:26, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:Hollywood restaurant [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2005, 07:09
ronybtl wrote:
At present, the Hollywood restaurant has only standard height tables. However, many customers come to watch celebrities who frequent Hollywood & they prefer tall tables in stools because such seating would afford better view of the celebrities. However, dinners seated on stools typically do not stay as long as diners seated on standard height tables. Therefore, if the Hollywood restaurant replaced some of its seating with higher tables and stools, its profits would increase.

The statement is vulnerable to criticism in that it gives reason to believe that it is likely that:
(a) Some celebrities come to Hollywood restaurant to be seen and so might choose to sit at tall tables if they are available
(b) The price of meals ordered by celebrities dining at Hollywood restaurant compensates for longer time, if any, that they spend lingering over their meals
(c) A customer of the Hollywood restaurant who would choose to sit at a tall table would be an exception to the generatlisation about lingering
(d) A restaurant's customer who spends less time at their meal typically orders less expensive meals than those who remain at their meals longer
(e) With enough tall tables to accommodate all Hollywood restaurant's customers interested in such seating, there would be no view except of other tall tables

I think E is the best fit
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2005, 07:27
I think E is a bit extreme. How can we be certain that the proprietor of the restaurant wouldn`t strategically arrange some of his higher tables on the periphery for a better view of the hollywood stars??

I would go with (D) because patrons might be uncomfortable with the stools and hence order the less expensive entrees. therefore resulting in a potential loss of revenue for the proprietor.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:Hollywood restaurant [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2005, 10:19
I would agree with E.

If ppl did not stick around too long in the high seats, they would be less likely to order expensive items on the entree.

ronybtl wrote:

(c) A customer of the Hollywood restaurant who would choose to sit at a tall table would be an exception to the generatlisation about lingering
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:Hollywood restaurant [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2005, 10:44
I understood the argument in that way: The passage suggests that with stools customers spent less time in the restaurant, so they are replaced by other customers who also order meals i.e. in agiven time you have more orders because customers change more frequently AND spent the same dollars. Only D weakens the argument if we assume that the customers who stay less spent also less.

I would also go with D.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2005, 11:29
I would go for D too, since the conclusion talks about making money, earning profit and D refutes it the best.

Success is my only option, failure is not -- Eminem

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2006, 22:00
I believe the OA is C, a very tricky question because D and E also seem correct.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2006, 08:00
Real Headache :wink:
Between D and E I ll go with D

IE IMBA 2010

Manager
Manager