Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 16:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

At present, the Hollywood restaurant has only standard

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

At present, the Hollywood restaurant has only standard [#permalink] New post 28 May 2007, 05:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:02) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions
At present, the Hollywood restaurant has only standard height tables. However, many customers come to watch celebrities who frequent Hollywood & they prefer tall tables in stools because such seating would afford better view of the celebrities. However, dinners seated on stools typically do not stay as long as diners seated on standard height tables. Therefore, if the Hollywood restaurant replaced some of its seating with higher tables and stools, its profits would increase.

The statement is vulnerable to criticism in that it gives reason to believe that it is likely that:
(a) Some celebrities come to Hollywood restaurant to be seen and so might choose to sit at tall tables if they are available
(b) The price of meals ordered by celebrities dining at Hollywood restaurant compensates for longer time, if any, that they spend lingering over their meals
(c) A customer of the Hollywood restaurant who would choose to sit at a tall table would be an exception to the generatlisation about lingering
(d) A restaurant's customer who spends less time at their meal typically orders less expensive meals than those who remain at their meals longer
(e) With enough tall tables to accommodate all Hollywood restaurant's customers interested in such seating, there would be no view except of other tall tables
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: hollywood restaurant [#permalink] New post 28 May 2007, 06:06
msrinath wrote:
At present, the Hollywood restaurant has only standard height tables. However, many customers come to watch celebrities who frequent Hollywood & they prefer tall tables in stools because such seating would afford better view of the celebrities. However, dinners seated on stools typically do not stay as long as diners seated on standard height tables. Therefore, if the Hollywood restaurant replaced some of its seating with higher tables and stools, its profits would increase.

The statement is vulnerable to criticism in that it gives reason to believe that it is likely that:
(a) Some celebrities come to Hollywood restaurant to be seen and so might choose to sit at tall tables if they are available
(b) The price of meals ordered by celebrities dining at Hollywood restaurant compensates for longer time, if any, that they spend lingering over their meals
(c) A customer of the Hollywood restaurant who would choose to sit at a tall table would be an exception to the generatlisation about lingering
(d) A restaurant's customer who spends less time at their meal typically orders less expensive meals than those who remain at their meals longer
(e) With enough tall tables to accommodate all Hollywood restaurant's customers interested in such seating, there would be no view except of other tall tables

For (E)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 May 2007, 10:35
My take on D
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 May 2007, 11:55
I think its D...the focus of the argument is the profit so E is out.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 May 2007, 01:30
one more D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 May 2007, 17:58
C.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 30 May 2007, 18:05
I think its E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 May 2007, 22:17
D is my answer
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 May 2007, 06:13
I'm going with E... I think that D is out of scope from the question. The question is asking you to attack the assumption in the passage. The assumption being that if customers have tall tables in order to see celebrities, the restaurant will get more customers and be able to turn the tables faster b/c they will sit for less time.

In E, it says that if there too many tall tables, customers will have the same experiece they had in the standard tables. So you are back to square one. Profits will stay the same.

In D, the passage does not give any reason to assume the amount of money spent in either type of seating will be different. If the question asked to weaken the arguement this would be the correct answer...

Does anyone have the OA?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: hollywood restaurant [#permalink] New post 31 May 2007, 10:01
D.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 May 2007, 12:50
Should be C.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2007, 14:26
This is a weaken question. My pick is E.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 May 2007, 16:20
I am with 'C'

What's the OA and the source of this CR (GMATPrep ?) ?

Last edited by humtum0 on 31 May 2007, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 May 2007, 16:25
my pick is D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 31 May 2007, 21:26
Team C, could you explain your choice?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2007, 01:32
IMO, it's E because although the question sentence is very difficult to understand, it says more or less the assumption behind the conclusion.
E clearly states the assumption of the conclusion.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2007, 06:06
D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2007, 07:55
Also proving D wrong... if customers do spend less money per meal at taller tables, why would it be likely that they order less expensive meals if it says that because of this profits would likely increase?

WHERE IS THE OA!?!?!?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2007, 21:18
I hope you don't mind if I post the OA as author doesn't seem to care

OA is C guys.

I checked it in another source.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2007, 05:26
Caas wrote:
I hope you don't mind if I post the OA as author doesn't seem to care

OA is C guys.

I checked it in another source.

Caas,
Since you posted answer of the question, you owe us an explication. Could you explain us why it is C ?
  [#permalink] 13 Jun 2007, 05:26