Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 11:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2006, 14:06
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (05:14) wrong based on 2 sessions
At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height tables. However, many customers come to watch the celebrities who frequent the Hollywood, and they would prefer tall tables with stools because such seating would afford a better view of the celebrities. Moreover, diners seated on stools typically do not stay as long as diners seated at standard-height tables. Therefore, if the Hollywood replaced some of its seating with high tables and stools, its profits would increase.

The argument is vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that it gives reason to believe that it is likely that

A. some celebrities come to the Hollywood to be seen, and so might choose to sit at the tall tables if they were available.

B. the price of meals ordered by celebrities dining at the Hollywood compensates for the longer time, if any, they spend lingering over their meals.

C. a customer of the HOllywood who would choose to sit at a tall table would be an exception to the generalization about lingering

D. a restaurant's customers who spend less time at their meals typically order less expensive meals than those who remain at their meals longer

E. with enough tall tables to accommodate all the HOllywood's customers interested in such seating, there would be no view except of other tall tables.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2006, 14:23
^D^
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2006, 14:34
what is your reasoning behind picking D?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2006, 14:44
The conclusion is " Profit would increase if some seats are replaced by stools "

D : provides the reason for not making more money...as the customers sittting on stools will order less expensive meals.

Hence the criticism for the argument
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2006, 15:21
C. a customer of the HOllywood who would choose to sit at a tall table would be an exception to the generalization about lingering

CR says because of stools customers will not linger for long; However to see stars the customer might linger for longer i.e. exception.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2006, 15:50
haas_mba07 wrote:

CR says because of stools customers will not linger for long; However to see stars the customer might linger for longer i.e. exception.

agree to this one

I believe its yogurt!

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2006, 16:37
Yep 'C' clocked around 3 mins... :(

Question :- Argument can be criticised because it supports some thing very close to one of the options given

C - Customers on tall table wouldn't mind spending the whole day there on pretext of eating the food but actually not...(just lingering around..)

This is very bad for the business..

A - out of context.. not discussed in the argument

B - not discussed in the argument..so no one can crticise based on this..

D - out of context...people visit mostly to catch a glimpse of celebreties..

E - neutral...it will be the same as now..standard heights...
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2006, 17:23
Beyond700 ..good explanation..
D seems out of context to me now.
:beat
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2006, 21:11
Will go wtih C.

The author argues that people stay longer at resturants when they are in standard height tables than when they are seated in stools.
But the author concludes that replacing standard height tables with stools would increase the profits.

This gives someone a chance to say that the author is assumping that the general principle of sitting on stools will not be noticed in the resturant.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2006, 21:40
C. It says explicatly in the passage that people seated in standard height chairs tend to linger around after their meal. That implies that if the people were setaed in some other form of chairs, they would move along once they are done with their meal and the restaurant can serve new customers.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2006, 09:38
good job all, OA is C.

I chose D, C went right over my head and is the correct answer as explained first by haas mba.

btw, gmatmba, who IS that guy in your avatar? he stares at me all the time.
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2006, 10:31
He is the man.. Stephen Colbert. :P

Funniest guy after Jon Stewart ofcourse...
http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/the_ ... ndex.jhtml
buckkitty wrote:
btw, gmatmba, who IS that guy in your avatar? he stares at me all the time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2006, 10:38
see how out of touch GMAT has made me with stuff like this!!!! It's RUINING me! I'll be sure to watch. thanks Haas[/quote]
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2006, 13:57
Its great to take your mind off the GMAT for an hour... keep it balanced. And it doesn't hurt that it is hilarious (if you are into politics, then it much-much better)...
Have fun...

buckkitty wrote:
see how out of touch GMAT has made me with stuff like this!!!! It's RUINING me! I'll be sure to watch. thanks Haas
[/quote]
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 2

Re: CR-Hollywood Restaurant (gmatprep) [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 11:42
D gives reasons to believe that profits are not going to increase, so it could be correct.
Thoughts on that?

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q V

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 8

Re: CR-Hollywood Restaurant (gmatprep) [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 13:25
I think we would need to address other scenarios when looking at choice D, such as the possibilty that profits could still increase if table turnover were faster.

An example to illustrate:
Table A stays for 1 hour and buys a $20 meal, Tables B & C each stay for half an hour and spend $15 per table ($30 total).

You bring up a good point, but I think choice C is still the better option.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

Re: CR-Hollywood Restaurant (gmatprep) [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 18:44

In option C, what does "exception to the generalization about lingering" really mean??? I thought the customer was against lingering around and would leave quickly.

Can anyone please explain this??
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q V

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 8

Re: CR-Hollywood Restaurant (gmatprep) [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 06:02
This is the generalization that (C) is referring to from the passage:
"Moreover, diners seated on stools typically do not stay as long as diners seated at standard-height tables."

Answer C- "...exception to the generalization about lingering..."
The passage has made a generalization that people seated on stools at restaurants stay for shorter periods of time then people at regular tables.

Choice C is saying that patrons of the Hollywood are the exception to this 'rule,' meaning they will be more likely to linger/stay longer even if they are seated at a tall table with stools

Hope that helped
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

Re: CR-Hollywood Restaurant (gmatprep) [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 08:53
Yup. :) .. thanks!
Re: CR-Hollywood Restaurant (gmatprep)   [#permalink] 23 Mar 2011, 08:53