Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:42 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4317 [471]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [197]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [80]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [39]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a presentation on [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
There is a short cut to cross this long passage. ‘Sales for’ is bad idiom, and so skip 1, 3 and 5. ‘Sales of’ is good idiom. Between 2 and 4, choice 2 no doubt sticks to the relative pronoun touch rule – ‘which’ touches and means ‘company’ - but sadly flouts logical predication by not referring to ‘challenges’ and hence dump it. Merrily tread along 4.
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [10]
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
Re: At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a presentation on [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
saravalli wrote:
At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a presentation on the numerous
challenges facing the company, including among them the threat from a rival’s
multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the declining sales for
the company’s
powerful microprocessor chip.
A. including among them the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patentinfringement
suit and the declining sales for
B. which includes the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit
and declining sales of
C. included among these the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patentinfringement
suit as well as a decline in sales for
D. among them the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and
the decline in sales of
E. among these the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit
as well as the decline in sales for

the key is to look for decline IN sale OF.. sales for is wrong idiom..

so we are left with B and D..which in B is wrong..there are numerous challenges so we need something plural..D is best
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4317 [8]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
In that case, 'numerous challenges' is plural. So we need 'include' and not 'includes'.

I even thought what if the 'which' is pointing to 'presentation' and then 'includes' will be right...but later thought I was thinking too much.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 927 [13]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
lordw wrote:
At the annual stockholder meeting, investors heard a presentation on the numerous challenges facing the company, including among them the threat from a rival´s multibillion dollar patent infringement suit and the declining sales for the company's powerfull microprocessor chip.

B. which includes the threat of a rival´s multibillion dollar patent infringement suit and declining sales of
C. included among these the threat from a rival´s multibillion dollar patent infringement suit as well as a decline in sales for
D. among them the threat of a rival's multibillion dollar patent infringement suit and the decline in sales of
E. among these the threat from a rival's multibillion dollar patent infringement suit as well as the decline in sales for

Guys my doubt is between options D and E, can someone explain with details? Tks. Lw

By process of elimination -

decline of X is the correct idiom. decline for X is wrong. This eliminates A, C and E.

In choice B, the comma is followed by which. The 'which' in this modifier (part of the sentence after the comma) modifies the noun preceding the comma - in this case which modifies company. This does not make sense as company does not include the thread and the declining sales. The challenges include the threat and the declining sales. Hence eliminate B.

Answer should be D.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [14]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
It may also be helpful to note that, in general, the test-writers don't like indicative pronouns (these, those, this, that, etc) that float free without attached nouns.

For example...

I'm not sure how I feel about that rule. (Correct)
I'm not sure how I feel about that. (Incorrect)

That knocks off C and E.

Two of the choices that are left-- A and D, include object pronouns ("them") while B contains no pronoun at all. It might be temping to nix all pronouns, but as daagh mentioned above, ", which" must touch the noun it is modifying, and in choice C it is touching "company"--eliminate B.

But, you may ask, what about the fact that there are *several* plural nouns earlier in the sentence ("stockholders, "investors," and "challenges")? Doesn't that mean the pronoun is ambiguous?

Unfortunately, no. A degree of pronoun ambiguity can be tolerated if it is grammatically clear from the sentence which of the possible antecedents is intended (notice, this is different from being clear because "I can tell what they probably meant from the content")--grammatically clear means clear from the *structure*)

(1) "stockholders" modifies "meeting" and is not a standalone noun-- out
(2) "investors" is the subject of the clause ("INVESTORS HEARD"), but we want an object noun (because we have THEM), not a subject noun. If our pronoun was "they" we would be referring to "investors"--out
(3) "challenges" is the object of the preposition ("presentation ON THE NUMEROUS CHALLENGES") -- here's our guy!

One last clue-- parallelism is very powerful on the GMAT, and the structure in D is nicely parallel:

(D) ...among them the THREAT OF....and the DECLINE OF... (yay)

...whereas in A we have

(S)...among them the THREAT FROM...and THE DECLINING SALES OF (less yay)

That's more ammo for (D) being the correct response.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Yup--sorry it's taken me so long to reply (out of the country on vacation).

A SUBJECT pronoun is a pronoun that takes the place of a noun in the subject position--in other words, the noun that is PERFORMING the action.

SUBJECT PRONOUNS-- I, you, he, she, it, they

The cat jumped over my dad.
SHE jumped over my dad.

The boy threw the ball.
HE threw the ball.

Those people like Jeanine a lot.
THEY like Jeanine a lot.

OBJECT pronouns take the place of nouns in the object position-- nouns that are RECEIVING the action. If you see a preposition before a noun, that noun must be an object (that doesn't mean there *must* be a preposition, however--see the second and third examples below).

OBJECT pronouns: me, you, him, her, it, them

The cat jumped over my dad.
The cat jumped over him.

The boy threw the ball.
The boy threw it.

Those people like Jeanine a lot.
Those people like her a lot.

"you" and "it" are the same for both families of pronouns, but things can get more confusing for the others. If you're not sure which case (object or subject) you should use, you can try swapping in another one from that family to check.

For example, if you wanted to test the correctness of the following sentence--
"Between you and I, that puppy is awfully mopey." (?)

You could "swap in" another member of the same family..."I" is a subject pronoun, so you should be able to subsitute another subject pronoun...

Which is correct?
"Between you and THEY, that puppy is awfully mopey."
OR
"Between you and THEM, that puppy is awfully mopey."

The second example, which uses the OBJECT case pronoun, is correct, so we actually want to say--
"Between you and ME, that puppy is awfully mopey" (CORRECT)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1372 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE:Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Hi Friends I came close to C and E, but i went wrong by marking E...To my fate the answer is D...But i striked of D as "them" has an ambiguous referent, as it could refer to challenges or stockholders....Please explain if i am wrong.....

Attachment:
SC2.jpg
SC2.jpg [ 92.04 KiB | Viewed 108327 times ]
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [4]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
kotela wrote:
Hi Friends I came close to C and E, but i went wrong by marking E...To my fate the answer is D...But i striked of D as "them" has an ambiguous referent, as it could refer to challenges or stockholders....Please explain if i am wrong.....

Hi,
Pronoun should have a clear antecedent, alright. More importantly, a pronoun must have a logical antecedent. In the sentence in question, "them" is a plural pronoun. The logical antecedent of "them" is "numerous challenges" a plural noun. The other plural noun in this sentence is "investors". Now "they" cannot refer to "investors" because it is not logical to say that "investors" are one of the numerous challenges faced by the company.

Take this example: In an accident, the car hit the tree and so Joe had to take it to the garage. Here, "it" can only refer to "car" because the other singular entity in the sentence, "tree", cannot be taken to the garage. So here we need not explicitly mention that Joe had to take his car to the garage.

In an accident, the car hit the tree and it got damaged pretty badly. Now, here "it" is ambiguous because both the singular entities, car as well as tree, can be damaged pretty badly. Hence, in this sentence "it" must be replaced by a noun stating what got damaged.

In this GMATPrep question, "them" has only one logical referent and hence it is not ambiguous.

This concept has been covered in detail in the "Pronouns" concept file in Level 1 Preview Concepts section that is included in the free trail. Just register and learn.

Hope this helps.
Shraddha

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [15]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Kudos
AbhiJ wrote:
At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a presentation on the numerous challenges facing the company, including among them the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent infringement suit and the declining sales for the company’s powerful microprocessor chip.
A. including among them the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the declining sales for
B. which includes the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and declining sales of
C. included among these the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit as well as a decline in sales for
D. among them the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the decline in sales of
E. among these the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit as well as the decline in sales for

Can some one explain what type of modifier is used in the correct option and some other usages of this type modifier.

I just wanted to add some thoughts on this SC question.

1st of all this questions has 3:2 split...if you look closely...at the end you have sales for and sales of...the correct expression is sales of
that leaves us with 2 options, which is B & D. If you examine carefully...in option B the two entities are not parallel hence it is not correct. A noun (the threat of a rival’s multibillion) and participle (declining sales).Participles can be made parallel with (present, past and adjectives).
Now coming to the "Including" Modifier.. any verb(ing) modifier can be used in two context (refer to e-gmat free videos on SC). ,verb(ing) refers/modifies the subject and not the immediate noun preceding it.
e.g. Joe killed the snake, using the stick.
Here the verb(ing) refers to subject Joe who used the stick. So in the sentence posted by you, meaning wise the including refers to the subject that is Investors, which is not the intended meaning.
Hope this clarifies all your questions on "ing" modifiers.
Lets Kudos!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Schools: Fisher '15
Send PM
Kudos
If you have the Manhattan Sentence Correction Strategy guide, the Advanced section (at the end of the book) has the answer to your question. There are 4 exceptions to NOUN Modifiers including the one that is used here

If a phrase is important to a sentence and can not be placed anywhere else in the sentence then the modifier is not required to touch the noun being modified "Challenges" (in this case)

Normally your modifier should touch "challenges" but you cant separate "facing the company" so your modifier is now modifying the noun" challenges facing the company"

Any answer that has "included" and "among" is unnecessarily repetitive

Included already incorporated "among" so you need only one of those 2 words.

Option A and C are out

"Which" refers to the immediately preceding noun
So B is out

You are left with D and E

But i think all you wanted was the clarification on the modifier.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [4]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos