Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2015, 02:41
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Jun 2005
Posts: 166
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 0

At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2005, 06:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

75% (01:52) correct 25% (01:36) wrong based on 24 sessions
At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a presentation on the numerous challenges facing the company, including among them the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the declining sales for the company’s powerful microprocessor chip.

A. including among them the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patentinfringement suit and the declining sales for
B. which includes the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and declining sales of
C. included among these the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patentinfringement suit as well as a decline in sales for
D. among them the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the decline in sales of
E. among these the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit as well as the decline in sales for
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2005
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2005, 07:26
Answer Choice: D--parallel and also in the same tense as the first part of the sentence.

A- & B- not parallel

C & E-not in the same tense
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2005
Posts: 726
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2005, 13:11
E is my choice.

I will not consider any choice which has Them, because it is 3rd person pronoun and can not resolve to which noun it is referring, may be investors.

Left with B,C,E

None of these seem to make sense except E

I would have picked B, if it did not have include(s), singular verb.

Are you sure okdongdong, there is no type in this question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Posts: 486
Location: Chicago
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2005, 14:27
I am going with B, ritheshgupta has a point but I think i have seen a precedent where such constructio is allowed.
_________________

Fear Mediocrity, Respect Ignorance

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2005
Posts: 726
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2005, 18:05
ranga41 wrote:
I am going with B, ritheshgupta has a point but I think i have seen a precedent where such constructio is allowed.


I have see these type of constructs also where which refers to a noun that has been discussed in the previous clause and is far away from the which clause.

Why I did not pick is because of includes (singular), otherwise B is best.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 1731
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2005, 19:40
D should be the OA.

A is not idiomatic tyo say "including among them...."
in B, "which" modifies company and therefore is wrong.
In C, "included among these" is also not idiomatic expression.
D. looks ok for me. though i donot like "sales of......."
in E, among these is also not idiomatic.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 May 2005
Posts: 67
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2005, 00:08
I chose В for the same reasons as HIMALAYA.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Mar 2014
Posts: 88
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2015, 12:36
carcass
mikemcgarry
chetan2u:

How can them refer to challenges.Should'nt it be these challegenges??
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 1230
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 511 [0], given: 19

Premium Member CAT Tests
At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2015, 19:51
Shree9975 wrote:
carcass
mikemcgarry
chetan2u:

How can them refer to challenges.Should'nt it be these challegenges??


Hi,
here them and these is not what differentiates between the choices..
both them and these should be just fine, both are possessive pronouns..
why E is wrong?
1. because of use of "as well as" and
2. the second is that "there is a threat 'of' a suit and not 'from' a suit"

yes if we are writing 'these challenges' then them cannot replace these..... but if you are putting a pronoun instead of challenges, them would be a better choice and these is used for describing something near us..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Dec 2013
Posts: 293
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 106

CAT Tests
Re: At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2015, 22:26
Whats the OA.

i am going with D. Though a tough call.

okdongdong wrote:
At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a presentation on the numerous challenges facing the company, including among them the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the declining sales for the company’s powerful microprocessor chip.

A. including among them the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patentinfringement suit and the declining sales for
B. which includes the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and declining sales of
C. included among these the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patentinfringement suit as well as a decline in sales for
D. among them the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the decline in sales of
E. among these the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit as well as the decline in sales for

_________________

Kudos to you, for helping me with some KUDOS.

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 1230
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 511 [1] , given: 19

Premium Member CAT Tests
At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2015, 23:37
1
This post received
KUDOS
shriramvelamuri wrote:
Whats the OA.

i am going with D. Though a tough call.

okdongdong wrote:
At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a presentation on the numerous challenges facing the company, including among them the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the declining sales for the company’s powerful microprocessor chip.

A. including among them the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patentinfringement suit and the declining sales for
B. which includes the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and declining sales of
C. included among these the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patentinfringement suit as well as a decline in sales for
D. among them the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the decline in sales of
E. among these the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit as well as the decline in sales for


hi
if you eliminate the wrong choices, you can easily home on to the correct answer..
1) including among.. both mean the same . redundancy.. A and C are out..
2)which is not appropriate in B also B has parallelism issue..
B. which includes the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and declining sales of
so B is out..
3) it is the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and not the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit .
4) also 'and' is more appropriate to show equal weightage on two parts..
because of point 3 &4, E is out
ans D does not have any flaws..
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
avatar
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 2611
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 345

Kudos [?]: 2631 [0], given: 265

Re: At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2015, 04:00
Expert's post
The shortest route to solving this problem is via idiom and pronoun reference; ‘Sales for’ is wrong idiom and sales of is proper. We can kick out A, C and E. Now it becomes easy to choose between B and D; B is out because, the reference for the pronoun, ‘which; is wrong by referring to the companies; If we were to argue that it might refer to the ‘challenges” then the verb includes is wrong; Or can it refer to the presentation,: even then the use of present tense is not appropriate, because the presentation was done in the past. It should logically refer to the challenges and therefore choice B goofs it up.

Coming to the use of the demonstrative pronoun ‘these’, one has the need to indicate about what he is referring to by pointing his fingers or use some kind of a gesture toward it, while there is a listener who is also a part o the whole episode. That is the reason that demonstrative pronouns are used mostly in spoken English. This usage is the general norm, notwithstanding a deviation here and there.

The object pronoun’ them’ has no such problems and hence D
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Re: At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a   [#permalink] 29 Jul 2015, 04:00
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a rlevochkin 6 06 Aug 2010, 06:01
At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a bigoyal 13 25 Jul 2009, 12:43
2 At the annual stockholder meeting, investors heard a lordw 16 13 Sep 2008, 07:26
2 At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a mymba99 22 21 May 2008, 05:19
At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a KC 7 23 Oct 2006, 12:50
Display posts from previous: Sort by

At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.