Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 20:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 390 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2009, 12:43
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a presentation on the numerous challenges facing the company, including among them the threat from a rival's multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the declining sales for the company's powerful microprocessor chip.

A. including among them the threat from a rival's multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the declining sales for
B. which includes the threat of a rival's multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and declining sales of
C. included among these the threat from a rival's multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit as well as a decline in sales for
D. among them the threat of a rival's multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the decline in sales of
E. among these the threat from a rival's multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit as well as the decline in sales for

Please accompany your answers with your reasoning.

Source:GMATPrep

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Last edited by bigoyal on 25 Jul 2009, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: multibillion-dollar patent-infringement [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2009, 13:14
At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a presentation on the numerous challenges facing the company, including among them the threat from a rival's multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the declining sales for the company's powerful microprocessor chip.

A. including among them the threat from a rival's multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the declining sales for
B. which includes the threat of a rival's multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and declining sales of
C. included among these the threat from a rival's multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit as well as a decline in sales for
D. among them the threat of a rival's multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the decline in sales of ---> Correct
E. among these the threat from a rival's multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit as well as the decline in sales for
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: multibillion-dollar patent-infringement [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2009, 13:28
bigoyal wrote:

D. among them the threat of a rival's multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the decline in sales of

Please accompany your answers with your reasoning.

Source:GMATPrep

Agree with D.
- 'sales of' is right.

But, why in B, 'which' is wrong? I think which is correct and can refer to the challenges. Problems in B is includes referring to plural subject.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: multibillion-dollar patent-infringement [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2009, 23:58
sudeep
but "which" refers to company here, doesn't it?

Las cualidades del agua...porque el agua no olvida que su destino es el mar, y que tarde o temprano deberá llegar a él.

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: multibillion-dollar patent-infringement [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2009, 00:32
Natia wrote:
sudeep
but "which" refers to company here, doesn't it?

'numerous challenges (facing the company)' - Noun Phrase
'facing the company' is a participle modifier for the noun challenges.
which is modifying that noun phrase,i.e., challenges.

Please correct me if I am wrong!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 4

Re: multibillion-dollar patent-infringement [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2009, 00:53
Yes ..which should refer to the company..in option (B)...Option D..seems to be the right one..OA plzz
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: multibillion-dollar patent-infringement [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2009, 00:55
sanoasis wrote:
Yes ..which should refer to the company..in option (B)...Option D..seems to be the right one..OA plzz

Can someone please confirm this!

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: multibillion-dollar patent-infringement [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2009, 21:54
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: multibillion-dollar patent-infringement [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2009, 02:59
Option B
B. which includes the threat of a rival's multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and (the)declining sales of

Here "the" should be added with 'declining sales'

M I correct?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: multibillion-dollar patent-infringement [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2009, 12:14
SMAbbas wrote:
Option B
B. which includes the threat of a rival's multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and (the)declining sales of

Here "the" should be added with 'declining sales'

M I correct?

Agreed, trying to make noun parallel with complex gerund.
But I think "which" is also incorrectly placed, as "company" is the closest noun.

All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: multibillion-dollar patent-infringement [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2009, 12:16
guys, I have one more confusion.

shouldn't we have a verb like "include" before the sentence in option D
"among them the threat of a rival's multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the decline in sales of...."

What I feel is that without verb "include" the sentence becomes fragmented :roll:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: multibillion-dollar patent-infringement [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 12:30
"which" doesn't have to always refer to nearest noun, in most cases it does, but there are exceptions...I agree with sudeep...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: multibillion-dollar patent-infringement [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 12:49
Here is an example where 'which' is fine in (b):

Although she had been known as an effective legislator first in the Texas Senate and later in the United States House of Representatives, not until Barbara Jordan's participation in the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon in 1974 was she made a nationally recognized figure, as it was televised nationwide.

A. later in the United States House of Representatives, not until Barbara Jordan's
participation in the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon in
1974 was she made a nationally recognized figure, as it was
B. later in the United States House of Representatives, Barbara Jordan did not
become a nationally recognized figure until 1974, when she participated in the
hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which were
C. later in the Untied States House of Representatives, it was not until 1974 that
Barbara Jordan became a nationally recognized figure, with her participation in
the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which was
D. then also later in the United States House of Representatives, not until 1974 did
Barbara Jordan become a nationally recognized figure, as she participated in the
hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, being
E. then also later in the United States House of Representatives, Barbara Jordan did
not become a nationally recognized figure until 1974, when she participated in the
hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which was
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: multibillion-dollar patent-infringement [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 16:23
WHICH represents a sentence in this case, and it's not allowed in GMAT grammar.

sudeep wrote:
bigoyal wrote:
But, why in B, 'which' is wrong? I think which is correct and can refer to the challenges. Problems in B is includes referring to plural subject.
Re: multibillion-dollar patent-infringement   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2010, 16:23