Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

At the beginning of each month, companies report to the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jul 2004
Posts: 606
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
At the beginning of each month, companies report to the [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2005, 14:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
At the beginning of each month, companies report to the federal government their net loss or gain in jobs over the past month. These reports are then consolidated by the government and reported as the total gain or loss for the past month. Despite accurate reporting by companies and correct tallying by the government, the number of jobs lost was significantly underestimated in the recent recession.
Which one of the following, if true, contributes most to a resolution of the apparent discrepancy described?
(A) More jobs are lost in a recession than in a period of growth.
(B) The expenses of collecting and reporting employment data have steadily increased.
(C) Many people who lose their jobs start up their own businesses.
(D) In the recent recession a large number of failing companies abruptly ceased all operations.
(E) The recent recession contributed to the growing preponderance of service jobs over manufacturing jobs.
_________________

Regards, S

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2004
Posts: 459
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2005, 14:51
D. "In the recent recession a large number of failing companies abruptly ceased all operations."
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 1447
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2005, 15:53
clearly "D"....if the companies r out of commission then they fail to report the numbers, hence the discrepency.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Dec 2004
Posts: 296
Location: California
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2005, 16:43
My answer is D...

A - This fact does not describe the discrepancy explained in the passage

B - Again what does cost have to do with the discrepancy between reported job loss and actual job loss...nothing

C - This would mean that the unemployment numbers should be overestimated not underestimated

E - Again nothing to do with the discrepancy

D - If this is true then it explains the discrepancy because if many companies abruptly ceased all operations that would mean all of those employees lost their jobs and there would be less companies reporting their employment stats.
_________________

"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 1226
Location: Taiwan
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2005, 19:06
concure with above-mentioned opinions.

D it is.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5097
Location: Singapore
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2005, 02:06
At the beginning of each month, companies report to the federal government their net loss or gain in jobs over the past month.
These reports are then consolidated by the government and reported as the total gain or loss for the past month.
Despite accurate reporting by companies and correct tallying by the government, the number of jobs lost was significantly underestimated in the recent recession.

Which one of the following, if true, contributes most to a resolution of the apparent discrepancy described?

(A) More jobs are lost in a recession than in a period of growth.
- Does not explain about the discrepancy

(B) The expenses of collecting and reporting employment data have steadily increased.
- Out of scope

(C) Many people who lose their jobs start up their own businesses.
- Still they have to report the net loss/gain even if they have set up their own businesses.

(D) In the recent recession a large number of failing companies abruptly ceased all operations.
- the abrupt nature will explain the discrepancy

(E) The recent recession contributed to the growing preponderance of service jobs over manufacturing jobs.
- No use at all

D it is.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2004
Posts: 33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2005, 05:13
D it is.

Companies closing down and not reporting the job losses can lead to the low number of jobs lost.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jul 2004
Posts: 606
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2005, 06:04
OA is C. I am not sure if it correct or not?
S
_________________

Regards, S

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 2255
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Jobloss [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2005, 09:50
Ok suppose company A has lossed two jobs and company B gained one job. The net result would be one loss. But the number of jobs that were lost really was two. So the one of course would be an underestimate.

(A) More jobs are lost in a recession than in a period of growth.
That does not explain the discrepency.

(B) The expenses of collecting and reporting employment data have steadily increased.
Irrelevant.

(C) Many people who lose their jobs start up their own businesses.
The self business would be reporting job gains and offseting the losses which causing the underestimate.

(D) In the recent recession a large number of failing companies abruptly ceased all operations.
But they still have to report before they close.

(E) The recent recession contributed to the growing preponderance of service jobs over manufacturing jobs.
Different situation in different job fields is irrelevant to the issue.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 21 Sep 2004
Posts: 619
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2005, 09:59
(D) doesn't apply here because they are not talking about what operations are being closed.. in the sense do we even consider reporting as an operation of the company. well we can look it in any way but still will not be the reason for the discrepancy.

(C) Many people who lose their jobs start up their own businesses.
the gains are offsetting..
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Posts: 910
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2005, 10:00
I pick (D) but if OA is C then i must be missing something or what is the source of this question? OE?
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 1447
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Jobloss [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2005, 10:52
hmm....,I disagree with the OA.....stem says that the company has to report last month job numbers in start of every month. Say company B closes down on 27 April, does it still have to report losses on 1 May. Reporting job numbers is part of the comp operations, if the opn r shut down, who is there to report anything ? I think "D" is best that way.

In "C"....there is no reason to believe that the start of business contributes to job growth. Bet "D" and "C"..."D" gives stronger reasons, I think.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 2255
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Jobloss [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2005, 10:57
banerjeea_98 wrote:
stem says that the company has to report last month job numbers in start of every month. Say company B closes down on 27 April, does it still have to report losses on 1 May. Reporting job numbers is part of the comp operations, if the opn r shut down, who is there to report anything ?


That is true. I'm convinced by you.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 2255
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2005, 10:59
Although, if the government is doing their tally's right, they would have total jobs for each company, and when one company fails to report because it has ceased operation, then the government will know to write all the jobs for that company off. This should be part of doing the tally correctly shouldn't it?
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 1447
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2005, 11:12
HongHu wrote:
Although, if the government is doing their tally's right, they would have total jobs for each company, and when one company fails to report because it has ceased operation, then the government will know to write all the jobs for that company off. This should be part of doing the tally correctly shouldn't it?


:-D I think in CR ques one shudn't assume so many things abt government opn , customer opn etc, as we are doing. I believe the CR choices here are ambiguous. By the time we all have put our assumptions in, we will end up with a nice convoluted RC passage :P
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 2255
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2005, 11:21
:lol: It did say in the stem that we are to assume that the government is doing the tally right. It's what is right is the question. :P
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 1447
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2005, 11:26
HongHu wrote:
:lol: It did say in the stem that we are to assume that the government is doing the tally right. It's what is right is the question. :P


yes, but it doesn't say that failure to report = government will write off all those jobs as joblosses. :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5097
Location: Singapore
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2005, 19:07
banerjeea_98 wrote:
HongHu wrote:
:lol: It did say in the stem that we are to assume that the government is doing the tally right. It's what is right is the question. :P


yes, but it doesn't say that failure to report = government will write off all those jobs as joblosses. :)


D does say the business ended abruptly. The abrupt nature could have caused the discrepancy because at the time the figures were released, they might not have been updated fast enought to keep up with the change.

I'm not totally convinced with C. We're told that all business have to submit their net loss/gain, and this is true for all those who started their new business.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Posts: 28
Location: SE Michigan
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2005, 19:29
I picked C.

Companies are supposed to report "net gain/ loss" per month over the past month. So if a person loses his job, his ex-employer would report him as a job loss. Now when he starts up his own business, his business wouldn't report that as a net gain, since that's how his business started. So let's say he hires no-one else in the first month. He would not report a net gain, as there're no previous month to compare to. If there are many such cases, as C states, it would weaken the argument.

"Correct tallying by gov and accurate reporting by companies" negate the possible weakening effects of D.

Last edited by amit_upasani on 09 Mar 2005, 19:40, edited 2 times in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5097
Location: Singapore
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2005, 19:32
but the person starting up his own business would have to report it to the governement as well and this would be accounted for.

D had the word abrupt which raises suspicion that things happened so fast that even with reporting, the tallying could not be done in time.
  [#permalink] 09 Mar 2005, 19:32
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 At the beginning of each month, companies report to the noboru 7 10 Jun 2010, 13:04
4 For each month of next year, Company R's monthly revenue tarek99 5 07 Dec 2007, 08:38
Experts publish their posts in the topic At the beginning of the last month, a stationery store had Folaa3 13 30 Mar 2005, 18:41
At the beginning of the last month, a stationery store had saurya_s 7 27 Aug 2004, 13:09
If $25 is invested at the beginning of each month for 36 smcgrath12 1 24 Aug 2004, 13:56
Display posts from previous: Sort by

At the beginning of each month, companies report to the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.