Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 05:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

At the end of the meetings, which are regularly held in key

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1541 [2] , given: 248

At the end of the meetings, which are regularly held in key [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 20:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

39% (02:57) correct 61% (01:12) wrong based on 27 sessions
At the end of the meetings, which are regularly held in key cities like Kolkata, Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Delhi and Chennai, members of the Alumni pass a hat around to collect whatever funds it takes to rent halls, pay for snacks, and electricity

(A) At the end of the meetings, which are regularly held in key cities like Kolkata, Mumbai, Bangalore, Delhi, Hyderabad and Chennai, members of the Alumni association pass a hat around to collect whatever funds it takes to rent halls, pay for snacks and electricity

(B) At the end of the meetings, which are regularly held in key cities such as Kolkata, Mumbai, Bangalore, Delhi, Hyderabad and Chennai, members of the Alumni association pass a hat around to collect whatever funds it takes to rent halls, to pay for snacks and electricity

(C) At the end of the meetings, which are regularly held in key cities such as Kolkata, Mumbai, Bangalore Delhi and Chennai, members of the Alumni association pass a hat around to collect whatever funds needed to pay for hall rent, snacks and electricity

(D) Members of the Alumni association at the end of the meetings, which are regularly held in key cities such as Kolkata, Mumbai, Bangalore Delhi and Chennai, pass a hat around to collect whatever funds, needed to pay for hall rent, snacks and electricity

(E) Members of the Alumni association pass a hat around to collect whatever funds needed to pay for hall rent, snacks, and electricity at the end of the meetings, which are regularly held in key cities such as Kolkata, Mumbai, Bangalore Delhi and Chennai.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 112

Re: meetings and alumni members [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 02:23
I dont know why am I inclined to pick D .... fitting the modifier in between seems OK to me
Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1541 [0], given: 248

Re: meetings and alumni members [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 02:39
Expert's post
In this case, the proper placement of the phrase “at the end of the meetings ´ assumes significance, since when placed wrongly, the meaning might get distorted. Then look for secondary errors and crispness

Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck, Duke, Cambridge, Said
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Re: meetings and alumni members [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 04:41
I go for E
I was initially thinking about D but the comma between funds and needed to pay in the last sentence does not look right.
i.e. "pass a hat around to collect whatever funds, needed to pay for hall rent, snacks and electricity "

QA please ...
Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Re: meetings and alumni members [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 05:50
Expert's post
At the end of the meetings, which are regularly held in key cities like Kolkatta, Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Delhi and Chennai, members of the Alumni pass a hat around to collect whatever funds it takes to rent halls, pay for snacks, and electricity

(A) At the end of the meetings, which are regularly held in key cities like Kolkatta, Mumbai, Bangalore, Delhi, Hyderabad and Chennai, members of the Alumni association pass a hat around to collect whatever funds it takes to rent halls, pay for snacks and electricity

What does it stands for? Quite unnecessary; does it stand for meetings? Then this leads to number problem. Secondly if two things are done by the funds such as to rent halls, pay for snacks and electricity, then the two events should be connected by the conjunction – and.

(B) At the end of the meetings, which are regularly held in key cities such as Kolkata, Mumbai, Bangalore, Delhi, Hyderabad and Chennai, members of the Alumni association pass a hat around to collect whatever funds it takes to rent halls, to pay for snacks and electricity

Same problems as in A. except that B tries to make it slightly more parallel by bringing in the word-to-

(C) At the end of the meetings, which are regularly held in key cities such as Kolkatta, Mumbai, Bangalore Delhi and Chennai, members of the Alumni association pass a hat around to collect whatever funds needed to pay for hall rent, snacks and electricity

Correct answer: Pushing the phrase -- At the end of the meetings – to the introductory part of the sentence, frees the sentence from word order problems. Whatever funds need to pay for hall rent snacks and electricity – makes a crisp and properly conjoined series

(D) Members of the Alumni association at the end of the meetings, which are regularly held in key cities such as Kolkatta, Mumbai, Bangalore Delhi and Chennai, pass a hat around to collect whatever funds, needed to pay for hall rent, snacks and electricity

Members of the Alumni association at the end of the meetings gives a dubious impression that they were members only at the end of the meetings and not before.

(E) Members of the Alumni association pass a hat around to collect whatever funds needed to pay for hall rent, snacks, and electricity at the end of the meetings, which are regularly held in key cities such as Kolkatta, Mumbai, Bangalore Delhi and Chennai.

The awkward placement of the phrase- to pay for hall rent at the end of the meetings - distorts the meaning that payment has to be made for the expenses at the end of the meeting itself.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: meetings and alumni members [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 14:38
anish319 wrote:
Lethal the answer is C....

Is C the OA? Now that I look back at it E looks incorrect because of the placement of "at the end of meetings"
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Stanford '13 (D)
GPA: 3.11
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 28

Re: meetings and alumni members [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 02:22
good question Dagh...
btw how much common it is to get such SCs in GMAT...? I mean the whole thing underlined.

Re-taking GMAT. Hope the charm works this time.. :)

Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Re: meetings and alumni members [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 06:57
Expert's post
very often especially in the higher rungs, high scorers tell me

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 104

Re: meetings and alumni members [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2010, 17:34
I don't agree with C. I know it has to be between C and D but C does not have a proper very between whatever funds - needed. There needs to be a verb between these or put a comma to indicate that the funds are needed to pay for stuff.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: meetings and alumni members [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2010, 18:02
IMO C.

I was confused C and E, but C seems to be better.

WAHEGURU JEE DA KHALSA, WAHEGURU JEE DE FATEH

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: At the end of the meetings, which are regularly held in key [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2013, 08:35
daagh wrote:
At the end of the meetings, which are regularly held in key cities like Kolkata, Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Delhi and Chennai, members of the Alumni pass a hat around to collect whatever funds it takes to rent halls, pay for snacks, and electricity

(A) At the end of the meetings, which are regularly held in key cities like Kolkata, Mumbai, Bangalore, Delhi, Hyderabad and Chennai, members of the Alumni association pass a hat around to collect whatever funds it takes to rent halls, pay for snacks and electricity

(C) At the end of the meetings, which are regularly held in key cities such as Kolkata, Mumbai, Bangalore Delhi and Chennai, members of the Alumni association pass a hat around to collect whatever funds needed to pay for hall rent, snacks and electricity

(D) Members of the Alumni association at the end of the meetings, which are regularly held in key cities such as Kolkata, Mumbai, Bangalore Delhi and Chennai, pass a hat around to collect whatever funds, needed to pay for hall rent, snacks and electricity

(E) Members of the Alumni association pass a hat around to collect whatever funds needed to pay for hall rent, snacks, and electricity at the end of the meetings, which are regularly held in key cities such as Kolkata, Mumbai, Bangalore Delhi and Chennai.

OA on this one? I'm going in with C
Cheers!
J :)
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 155 [1] , given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: At the end of the meetings, which are regularly held in key [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2014, 14:31
This post received
KUDOS
Would someone confirm the OA for this one?

I'm going with C

D and E are close contenders but have modifier problems

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA.in
Prasad: Hariharan
GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 4

Re: At the end of the meetings, which are regularly held in key [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2014, 08:44
Yes, as someone observed, C is missing a verb (are).

--Prasad
EnterMBA.in

GMAT and MBA admissions Coach
EnterMBA

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: At the end of the meetings, which are regularly held in key [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2014, 08:51
prasi55 wrote:
Yes, as someone observed, C is missing a verb (are).

--Prasad
EnterMBA.in

So where do we stand with the OA Mr. Prasad?

Thanks buddy
Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA.in
Prasad: Hariharan
GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 4

At the end of the meetings, which are regularly held in key [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2014, 08:56
Lol. I wish I knew. We should ask the OP. Maybe the exclusion of "are" is a typo. So I am not sure where we stand. I sit.

--Prasad
EnterMBA.in

GMAT and MBA admissions Coach
EnterMBA

At the end of the meetings, which are regularly held in key   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2014, 08:56