Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 22:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Athlete, Engineer...Profile evaluation, please.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Athlete, Engineer...Profile evaluation, please. [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2007, 08:28
Paul, I definitely appreciate you taking time to consult with us. I have a few questions myself. I would greatly appreciate your well-informed opinion.

Here is my profile:

I am a senior at the University of Texas-Austin. Here is my profile:

-African American Male
-Played Varsity Football-2 Championship rings
-Biomedical engineering 3.45-3.5 by the time i start applying.
-President of my fraternity
-Co-Founded Organization for minorities interested in graduate careers.
-Co-founded boys and girls club in the austin area in hopes of creating long term mentoring relationships between the college students and the underprivileged kids.
-Upon graduation i will be working at Goldman Sachs in the PWM division. I was extended offers in both I banking and S & T; however I decided to focus on my long term career goal-explained below.
-I have a passion for helping athletes manage their investments and their contract negotiations. Many of the athletes and their agents that I have either known or played with have done a poor job of managing these things. I would like to help them rectify this. Ultimately I would like to build a company that rivals IMG in their ability to be a one stop shop for athletes by taking care of their finances, contracts, marketing, etc. GS PWM will give me the experience with wealthy individuals.
-I have also done private real estate investing with a partner...it is growing into a rather successful business.
-I recently took my first diagnostic gmat. I did not do nearly as well as I would have liked-but I have a few months to increase my score. I am shooting for 700.
What programs should I be aiming for? Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Yale , and MIT may be stretches, but those are my ideal programs(namely harvard). If I get below a 700, will I even be considered at any of these programs?

Lastly, do I have a chance at getting any scholarships at any of the elite programs?

Thanks in Advance.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2007, 15:43
Obviously I'll let Paul weigh in as the expert, but if you don't get into the top programs then we are all in a lot of trouble. Congrats on the National Champtionship last year.

-JSide
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2007, 18:49
Seriously, that is one of the strongest profiles I've come across on this site. Also, you have my dream job!! The only reason I'm doing the MBA is to hopefully get into the PWM division at Goldman Sachs. Hope you like it, as it seems like a perfect fit for you and your future goals.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

Re: Athlete, Engineer...Profile evaluation, please. [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2007, 19:53
futureagent wrote:
Paul, I definitely appreciate you taking time to consult with us. I have a few questions myself. I would greatly appreciate your well-informed opinion.

Here is my profile:

I am a senior at the University of Texas-Austin. Here is my profile:

-African American Male
-Played Varsity Football-2 Championship rings
-Biomedical engineering 3.45-3.5 by the time i start applying.
-President of my fraternity
-Co-Founded Organization for minorities interested in graduate careers.
-Co-founded boys and girls club in the austin area in hopes of creating long term mentoring relationships between the college students and the underprivileged kids.
-Upon graduation i will be working at Goldman Sachs in the PWM division. I was extended offers in both I banking and S & T; however I decided to focus on my long term career goal-explained below.
-I have a passion for helping athletes manage their investments and their contract negotiations. Many of the athletes and their agents that I have either known or played with have done a poor job of managing these things. I would like to help them rectify this. Ultimately I would like to build a company that rivals IMG in their ability to be a one stop shop for athletes by taking care of their finances, contracts, marketing, etc. GS PWM will give me the experience with wealthy individuals.
-I have also done private real estate investing with a partner...it is growing into a rather successful business.
-I recently took my first diagnostic gmat. I did not do nearly as well as I would have liked-but I have a few months to increase my score. I am shooting for 700.
What programs should I be aiming for? Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Yale , and MIT may be stretches, but those are my ideal programs(namely harvard). If I get below a 700, will I even be considered at any of these programs?

Lastly, do I have a chance at getting any scholarships at any of the elite programs?

Thanks in Advance.

futureagent,

If you get a 700 and even if you get in the high 600s you will be competitive at all of the top schools. I imagine there are programs that have specific programs in sports representation but given your competitiveness at the "ultra elites" I wouldn't try to persuade you to walk away from a possible acceptance at HBS or Stanford just to go to a school known for training sports agents. I do believe you have a good shot at scholarships at most top schools. You appear to be without blemishes with the possible exception of your GMAT (if it wound up being far below 700). You have the right stuff in a number of respects.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2007, 21:36
Thanks everyone. I definitely appreciate your candid responses.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2007, 06:23
Just wondering, but why do you have 2 championship rings? Texas has only won 1 NC over the last few years.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2007, 08:42
Wow! That really is a heck of a profile.

Just apply to HSW. I would be very surprised if you don't get through any of these.

Don't worry about the GMAT. You should be able to ace it easily.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2007, 12:20
eazyb81 wrote:
Just wondering, but why do you have 2 championship rings? Texas has only won 1 NC over the last few years.

Rose Bowl 2 years in a row.