Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Attend top 30 school or defer and apply to top 15 schools?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Attend top 30 school or defer and apply to top 15 schools? [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2008, 23:27
Hello all,

I've spent much time here as a lurker and respect the quality of dialog at this community. I've reached decision time, and was hoping to get advice from some of the people here. I'll try to keep my story succinct.

Early this year I made the decision to pursue an MBA. The timing wasn't great, but I hustled and submitted applications in May to two schools that were still accepting them (which meant I didn't have an opportunity to apply to any top 15 schools). I've been accepted to both programs.

My profile:

680 GMAT
3.0 GPA in Engineering (Computer Science)
27 years old and five years of work experience in technology (San Francisco): the last three years in business analytics roles. I spent one year managing a small customer support department.

I want to continue to work in analytics, and am interested in advanced data modeling/mining, decision sciences, et.

My decision:

My schools are Purdue and the University of Maryland. Both programs have solid Operations/Decision Sciences departments, and both appeared extremely enthusiastic to have me, making me think that I've got an application that's capable of getting me into a more prestigious program.

I realize that my GMAT and (in particular) GPA are not spectacular, so I believe three things got me: 1) work history which is varied yet focused and shows very significant growth, 2) a background and future goals outside finance or consulting, and 3) a reasonably colorful personal background (lived internationally, played sports, etc).

So my question is: do I try to defer and apply to better schools? Programs that I'd apply to include: NYU, Columbia, UCLA, and Duke. MIT feels well out of range, but I would possibly submit an application for giggles.

Do you think I have a realistic chance at getting into schools of this caliber? Is this too great a risk? Would it be more prudent to attend Maryland this fall?

I thank you so much for reading and commenting.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Attend top 30 school or defer and apply to top 15 schools? [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2008, 00:39
This post received
KUDOS
I think it depends on what you want to do post-MBA

If a MD MBA can get you where you want to be in 2 years, take this offer. Even though MD is not 15 it is still a good University and it will open some doors.

If you want to work in Consulting or IB than I would say to wait a year because from MD you don't have very good chance for these industries.

I am sure most people don't end up at the absolutely the highest ranked school thay can get into, because for example for someone who wants to go in Marketing Duke would be only slightly worst option than Chicago and given other factors some people who want a Marketing job would chose Duke over Chicago.

So you need to figure out what you want to do post-MBA? and will a MD MBA get you there?

GO BLUE !!!

VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Attend top 30 school or defer and apply to top 15 schools? [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2008, 22:25
bmn111 wrote:
...My profile:

680 GMAT
3.0 GPA in Engineering (Computer Science)
27 years old and five years of work experience in technology (San Francisco): the last three years in business analytics roles. I spent one year managing a small customer support department.

I want to continue to work in analytics, and am interested in advanced data modeling/mining, decision sciences, et.

What are analytics? And what do you mean by advanced data modeling/mining decision sciences? I understand the techniques, but in what industry(ies)?

L.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Attend top 30 school or defer and apply to top 15 schools? [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 05:52
yeah don't understand either. Is that some sore of niche research thing?

If you school places people in those types of jobs then go for it but if no one comes to campus I'd say no.
Intern
Intern

Re: Attend top 30 school or defer and apply to top 15 schools? [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2008, 13:58
First, thank you all for your interest and feedback. To clarify: I've spent the last three years as a Business Analyst and Marketing Analyst. I've worked for two Internet companies, using various technical skills (SQL, VBA, Excel automation, etc) to create reports and build reporting tools that supported decision making in marketing, sales, operations and strategy. I've learned at least a little about each of these topics by being involved in these various projects.

I'd like to expand my skills to do more powerful and complex analysis, which means learn about data modeling and mining, and how to apply them to various functions of business. I see myself returning to the technology sector, although having the option to go into finance (maybe not as a full-blown quant, but something in that direction) is appealing.

To use NYU as an example: they have specilizations in Data, Models & Decisions and Financial Systems and Analytics. UMD has the Decisions, Operations & Information Technologies department (with a terribly outdated website -- the whole Smith site is awful, really) and a possibility of an MBA/MS in Operations Research (although admissions tells the program is temporarily suspended and may or may not return by the time I'd be approaching graduation).

When it comes right down to it, I think that as a means to an end, a UMD education will get me to the career path I want (possibly even opening doors to the quant world). I'm just having a difficult time shaking the feeling that NYU would be a better experience, surrounded by higher caliber students and in an elite environment. I also want to be proud of attending a school with a world-class reputation.

What do you think? Are most of you looking at business school as the most practical way to get to the job you want, or are you taking into consideration other, less tangible, more emotion-driven factors?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: MIT
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Attend top 30 school or defer and apply to top 15 schools? [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2008, 14:08
Here's another question: if you could theoretically get a deferral from either of the schools that you've been accepted to, could you submit applications to other schools in the interim? Do your accepted schools have a policy that would disallow this if they granted you a deferral?

Last edited by ko on 09 Jul 2008, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: Attend top 30 school or defer and apply to top 15 schools? [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2008, 14:38
I've considered this option and would definitely try to go the deferral route if I decided to apply to top 15 school this fall. The official FAQ says that deferring isn't an option, although I I could always ask.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: MIT
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Attend top 30 school or defer and apply to top 15 schools? [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2008, 17:20
bmn111 wrote:
I've considered this option and would definitely try to go the deferral route if I decided to apply to top 15 school this fall. The official FAQ says that deferring isn't an option, although I I could always ask.

You'll probably have a pretty tough time getting the schools to grant a deferral then. To get a deferral from schools that have a "No Deferral" policy, you've usually got to have a pretty dang good reason. But that's just my humble opinion.
Re: Attend top 30 school or defer and apply to top 15 schools?   [#permalink] 09 Jul 2008, 17:20