Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:30 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Re: Attend top 30 school or defer and apply to top 15 schools? [#permalink]
yeah don't understand either. Is that some sore of niche research thing?

If you school places people in those types of jobs then go for it but if no one comes to campus I'd say no.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
First, thank you all for your interest and feedback. To clarify: I've spent the last three years as a Business Analyst and Marketing Analyst. I've worked for two Internet companies, using various technical skills (SQL, VBA, Excel automation, etc) to create reports and build reporting tools that supported decision making in marketing, sales, operations and strategy. I've learned at least a little about each of these topics by being involved in these various projects.

I'd like to expand my skills to do more powerful and complex analysis, which means learn about data modeling and mining, and how to apply them to various functions of business. I see myself returning to the technology sector, although having the option to go into finance (maybe not as a full-blown quant, but something in that direction) is appealing.

To use NYU as an example: they have specilizations in Data, Models & Decisions and Financial Systems and Analytics. UMD has the Decisions, Operations & Information Technologies department (with a terribly outdated website -- the whole Smith site is awful, really) and a possibility of an MBA/MS in Operations Research (although admissions tells the program is temporarily suspended and may or may not return by the time I'd be approaching graduation).

When it comes right down to it, I think that as a means to an end, a UMD education will get me to the career path I want (possibly even opening doors to the quant world). I'm just having a difficult time shaking the feeling that NYU would be a better experience, surrounded by higher caliber students and in an elite environment. I also want to be proud of attending a school with a world-class reputation.

What do you think? Are most of you looking at business school as the most practical way to get to the job you want, or are you taking into consideration other, less tangible, more emotion-driven factors?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:MIT
Send PM
Here's another question: if you could theoretically get a deferral from either of the schools that you've been accepted to, could you submit applications to other schools in the interim? Do your accepted schools have a policy that would disallow this if they granted you a deferral?

Originally posted by ko on 09 Jul 2008, 15:08.
Last edited by ko on 09 Jul 2008, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I've considered this option and would definitely try to go the deferral route if I decided to apply to top 15 school this fall. The official FAQ says that deferring isn't an option, although I I could always ask.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:MIT
Send PM
bmn111 wrote:
I've considered this option and would definitely try to go the deferral route if I decided to apply to top 15 school this fall. The official FAQ says that deferring isn't an option, although I I could always ask.

You'll probably have a pretty tough time getting the schools to grant a deferral then. To get a deferral from schools that have a "No Deferral" policy, you've usually got to have a pretty dang good reason. But that's just my humble opinion.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
You have a pretty good profile other than your GMAT (which you know). If you feel like you can bump your score up by 30 or more points, I think you would have a very good shot at some top schools.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
Send PM
VeritasPrepMike wrote:
You have a pretty good profile other than your GMAT (which you know). If you feel like you can bump your score up by 30 or more points, I think you would have a very good shot at some top schools.

:lol: Check the original post date! I'd hope the OP has made his mind by now :-D
GMAT Club Bot