Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 16:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Attending an "MBA Diversity Workshop" after R1 deadlines?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Attending an "MBA Diversity Workshop" after R1 deadlines? [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 14:42
I went to Duke's diversity weekend last year, and it vastly improved my understanding of not only the school, but of b-school life in general. I took copious notes that I will use to help shape why I want to go to Duke in the fall of 2009. There are several other schools that have similar programs that I hope to attend this year, however they are held after R1 deadlines. Regardless, should I visit these schools prior to applying? Or should I just visit the school for the first time during the workshop, after the application has been submitted?
Director
Director
Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Attending an "MBA Diversity Workshop" after R1 deadlines? [#permalink] New post 29 May 2008, 06:29
Victory, what schools are you looking at? Are you going to be applying to any schools through the Consortium. If so RD 1 applications aren't due until December 1, after most diversity weekends. If I'm not mistaken I thought you were looking at Yale, they just became a member as well. If your looking at schools that aren't a member of the Consortium then you probably need to go out and visit those schools before you apply.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross 2010
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Attending an "MBA Diversity Workshop" after R1 deadlines? [#permalink] New post 29 May 2008, 08:59
Diversity workshops are great. However, a lot of people recommend visiting the schools on a different day if you are able in addition to the diversity days. Just understand that schools put a lot of effort into these weekends and it isn't exactly representative of a normal day. Regardless if you can visit schools before you apply I encourage you to do so.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Attending an "MBA Diversity Workshop" after R1 deadlines? [#permalink] New post 29 May 2008, 10:19
skaballet wrote:
Diversity workshops are great. However, a lot of people recommend visiting the schools on a different day if you are able in addition to the diversity days. Just understand that schools put a lot of effort into these weekends and it isn't exactly representative of a normal day. Regardless if you can visit schools before you apply I encourage you to do so.

I would definitely agree with skaballet. I attended a diversity weekend at NYU and they really went all out. The entire weekend they had about 50 minority students working with us as we attended seminars, dinners, clubs, etc. So while it was a great experience, it was definitely very scripted. It's not like they're going to be putting on conferences at the Metropolitan Club every week. So to get the real feel you really need to go another day and catch them with their pants down :lol: .

But, as far as getting enough information to write you essays the diversity weekends should be enough. You get to meet a lot of people and visit the school and city. From that you should be able to tell if you would like to live in the city and if you mesh well with the type of students that go to that school. Then if you get accepted you can always go back on a regular day to confirm you thoughts.
Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Attending an "MBA Diversity Workshop" after R1 deadlines? [#permalink] New post 30 May 2008, 14:18
gixxer...yes, I am applying to Yale...however not through the consortium unfortunately. You see, despite feeling as though I have helped the minority community, I just don't feel like I have done enough to warrant my taking advantage of their resources. In addition, I don't have any recommenders that would be suitable...the ones I have in mind probably couldn't write a letter of rec without being heavily coached. Then again, I could just apply and let the consortium be the judge of my merits. When do you find out whether you were accepted or not?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross 2010
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Attending an "MBA Diversity Workshop" after R1 deadlines? [#permalink] New post 30 May 2008, 15:05
It doesn't need to be that big of a thing. All I did was tutor a student once a week. It was for three years and she did show significant progress, but still it wasn't earth shattering or anything. You should consider applying through the Consortium. It's a great network. They usually have info sessions in the big cities in the fall. If you can I would try and go to one just to get more info. You will want to think seriously about who you could use for a recommender though. I found out that I received a fellowship from Ross in mid March I believe. I already knew that I was accepted though since I applied in R1.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Attending an "MBA Diversity Workshop" after R1 deadlines? [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2008, 04:51
Victory, not that I'm dying to increase the competition considering were both in real estate but you really should consider applying through the consortium. As skaballet suggests it's not as hard as you may think. They are essentially looking for people who will be active participants in the consortium in the future. On way to do that is to find people who have already shown a pattern of activity in the past. I'm sure you've had some sort of community involvement or you wouldn't be applying to schools like Yale. Show how that involvemnt indirectly helped minorites and then use that along with your character to show that if given the chance you would remain active in the consortium going forward.

Ex. Say you volunteered for the habitat for humanity. They don't help just minorities but their efforts are usually with urban communites where most minorites live. This also shows that you are the type of person who will do for others. So if given acceptance to consortium network it's not hard to imagine that you would dedicate some of your personal time and resources to help their cause, especially if given an $80k scholarship.

Yale is new to the consortium so it may be a little different their first year but pretty much all of the schools suggest to apply through the consortium if you going to apply. Most schools take most of their minority applicants from this pool even if they don't offer them the fellowship. Even if you do not feel that you can get the scholarship you should still apply as you may get a membership (without $$) to the consortium which can be more valueable than the fellowship. There are events like the orientation program that you attend the summer before you start. Many people walk away from these events with internships in hand before they even start school. The only reason for not applying through the consortium if you're a minority is if you somehow feel minorities shouldn't develop specific networks to help their advancement.

There are two deadlines, one in early Dec, and one in early Jan. The schools let you know when you are accepted on their own and then you find out if you received the fellowship after all the schools meet in March.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Attending an "MBA Diversity Workshop" after R1 deadlines? [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2008, 09:51
Definitely attend the Diversity Workshop, since that will give the adcom a face to a name when they're looking at your apps (if it's after the deadline). But go once beforehand if you can, or at least talk to some students and alum.

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Re: Attending an "MBA Diversity Workshop" after R1 deadlines?   [#permalink] 07 Jun 2008, 09:51