Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 17:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Attention GMAT Takers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (very important)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Said/HEC/Insead/Rotterdam/Lancaster
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 2

Re: Attention GMAT Takers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (very important) [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2011, 22:07
This post received
KUDOS
hoogly wrote:
WarLock ...?

" 1 GMAC indirectly saying that they are going to favor native speakers now as only native speakers can do this without any specific study "

Where did GMAC say this ??? The only thing it says is " they are moving towards completely phasing out idioms! They don’t want to penalize non-native speakers for things that don’t really interfere with comprehension and communication"

Do you understand what the above statement means ? It means Idioms have nothing to do with comprehension ( meaning or logical understanding ) and so Idioms have been in the process of phasing out ? I do not understand where it is mentioned that they are going to favor native speakers ! Meaning refers to logical meaning of a sentence. an option might be grammatically correct but depending on words chosen or placement of words sometimes can change the meaning of the sentence ! This is what is being emphasized ! Analyze a given fact even before you dwell out scaring thousands of minds preparing for the GMAT !

Dude WarLock , may be your test did not go well and you are frightening number of native speakers on the forum !!!

This is pessimistic attitude and if you are planing to re take I wish it does not come in the way and you reach your target !

I am emphasizing once again, As per the gmat blog from Mgmat , all we could decipher is :

1. Emphasis has been on questions with normal grammatical errors but after elimination we are always left with two grammatically correct answers now. So, eliminate the one that intends the meaning of original sentence .Seems like this is already in place. I do not understand how it will be a disadvantage to non native speakers like us. We are giving a international standardized test and whats the point if our standards of deciphering the meaning upon reading a sentence is low ? Are we that bad at understanding the logical meaning a sentence tries to convey ? These are just rumors or wrongly understood by warlock based on Mgmat blog.

2. Idioms will be completely eliminated soon. As of now there a few questions based on idioms in the pool. This is definitely good news to non native speakers, we need to cram several idioms as before !

As Mgmat blog mentions, let us wait till Monday to get more information on this. As of now I really do not think there is need to raise an outrage . At least most of the test takers here i guess are intelligent enough to not panic based on a biased view of a disappointed individual. We are Gmat takers and people with work experience. All these things should induce a sense of deeper analysis of the things. This is what most of the Gmat verbal section expect from us. We prepare for Gmat and yet fail to apply our reasoning skills to practical situations and panic on even every small change we hear of ! ;)

I already gave a reply to this ! check out my latest post. Dude no overlapping conflicts or neither I am after you. All i am asking is to wait till Monday and do not agitate people with completely deviated understanding of the blog Hope you take it in a good sense and we are here to prepare for GMAT ! - Our Common Goal !
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT Date: 11-29-2011
GPA: 3.5
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 27

Re: Attention GMAT Takers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (very important) [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2011, 22:44
Somebody who has already took GMAT recently pls confirm if idioms are used in GMAT exam
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 2

Re: Attention GMAT Takers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (very important) [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 13:12
This post received
KUDOS
As a native speaker, I think most idioms are stupid anyways. They're just sayings that have integrated into the English Language.

As for how to study for sentence corrections. . .READING! I've been reading all my life and that helps identify grammatical and meaning issues. So for those of you non-native speakers, grab a book and for once to do some reading for fun. Please note that it should be one from a reputable author (Twilight doesn't count). The more you read, the more you are able to familiarize yourself with excellent sentences, and specific meaning. It's also a goo way to increase your vocabulary. I look up every word I don't know.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.4
WE: Design (Advertising and PR)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

Re: Attention GMAT Takers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (very important) [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 21:46
Warlock007 wrote:
Aj85 wrote:
Warlock007 wrote:
Dear all

Firstly, I never asked the GMAT to make anything easier for anybody. As a STANDARDISED test, the GMAT HAS an obligation to make the test EQUAL for everyone. If thousands of b-schools are accepting the GMAT, then I believe it is subject to some integrity.

The GMAT was designed to predict your chances of success in business schools in the United States. The test is as unfair to non-native speakers as a pre-screening for health insurance coverage is to obese people. On average, they'll cost the company more to support. Its nothing personal, its just statistics. You're confusing "being unfair" with "accurately predicting a lesser chance of success". Being exceptional in English, not just adequate, is very important to doing well in US business schools. If you didn't realize how dominant and important English is in the business world, you wouldn't be trying to get a degree at an English speaking institution. Its just the way it is. Sure, it sucks for non-English speakers, but it's fair. To be clear, I'm not saying that an English speaker with a 750 GMAT is smarter or better apt than a non-native speaker with the same score. In fact, the opposite is probably true, as some of the non-native speaker's intelligence was likely lost in translation. An Indian with a 600 GMAT could be much smarter than an American with a 670, but that's not what business schools are testing. They're measuring...your chances...of being successful...in US...business schools....the end.

Nice Marmot.

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 539

Kudos [?]: 2280 [2] , given: 31

Re: Attention GMAT Takers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (very important) [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 10:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Warlock007 wrote:
recently held 4th summit of GMAC officials declare the below major changes
1 No idioms will be Tested anymore

please check out this link
http://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... orrection/

This is an old post, but I would like to comment on it.

Both the comments in this post and the MGMAT blog cited were written in 2011. Since then, GMAC has published the OG13, and this most recent official guide gives absolutely no indication that they are thinking of phasing out idioms. In my perspective, the idea that "no idioms will be tested anymore" is a deleterious rumor that induces poor folks preparing for the GMAT to neglect something vital that they ought to study.

See this post, which gives an analysis of the SC questions in the OG13.
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/how-import ... ment-13846

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5379 [4] , given: 165

Re: Attention GMAT Takers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (very important) [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 20:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mikemcgarry wrote:
This is an old post, but I would like to comment on it.

Both the comments in this post and the MGMAT blog cited were written in 2011. Since then, GMAC has published the OG13, and this most recent official guide gives absolutely no indication that they are thinking of phasing out idioms. In my perspective, the idea that "no idioms will be tested anymore" is a deleterious rumor that induces poor folks preparing for the GMAT to neglect something vital that they ought to study.

See this post, which gives an analysis of the SC questions in the OG13.
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/how-import ... ment-13846

OG13 is the latest offering from GMAC but the questions it gives are not latest. I really doubt that to put in the OG, GMAC painstaking picks out those questions which are closest to the current set of questions. OG only gives you a bunch of old questions to give you an idea of the kind of questions that were in their database a few yrs back. Too much value may not be gained by data mining those questions. I think it is more important to listen carefully to what GMAC representatives say: http://officialgmat.mba.com/2011/09/29/ ... gmat-exam/

As for 'how important are idioms', even in the old questions, it is apparent that very rarely would you be tested on an idiom alone. Since only language idioms (and not American) are being tested nowadays, any English speaking person would be aware of many of them. Every section of GMAT is based on higher order reasoning skills - so is the SC section. Hence, learning up long lists of idioms will be a waste of time and energy since there are 1000s of idioms and one does not know which one might appear. Instead, one needs to focus on reading more (to know the nuances of the language most commonly used) and build appropriate reasoning skills to help one identify the accurate meaning.

Quote from Larry Rudner's post: 'Some Sentence Correction items continue to pose reasoning tasks that incorporate English language, NOT American, idioms'
- which implies that the SC questions are primarily reasoning tasks. Some may incorporate language idioms too.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 125 [1] , given: 80

Re: Attention GMAT Takers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (very important) [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2013, 08:18
This post received
KUDOS
Thank you for this, Karishma. Great post.

Quote:
I really doubt that to put in the OG, GMAC painstaking picks out those questions which are closest to the current set of questions. OG only gives you a bunch of old questions to give you an idea of the kind of questions that were in their database a few yrs back.

I couldn't agree more. Whenever GMAC updates the Official Guide, they swap out a handful of questions (83% of 13th edition questions also appeared in the 12th edition), and they seem to do so somewhat haphazardly. There are plenty of questions in the 13th edition that appeared in the 10th edition... which was published more than 10 years ago. We treat the OG like it's the Bible, and it's definitely the best thing out there if you're trying to get a grasp on the GMAT. But sometimes we forget that most of the questions in that book are pretty old and crusty.

Quote:
Hence, learning up long lists of idioms will be a waste of time and energy since there are 1000s of idioms and one does not know which one might appear. Instead, one needs to focus on reading more (to know the nuances of the language most commonly used) and build appropriate reasoning skills to help one identify the accurate meaning.

By some estimates, there are somewhere in the neighborhood of 20,000 idioms in the English language. They're absolutely an unavoidable part of any language, and it would be pretty much impossible to completely remove them from a standardized test such as the GMAT. GMAC is doing its best to remove cultural bias from its idioms, but there are still tons and tons of standard English idioms on the GMAT. It's a hopeless errand to memorize thousands of idioms, and your prep time is always better spent developing other skills.

Thank you again for a great post, Karishma!

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 691

Kudos [?]: 3045 [1] , given: 890

Re: Attention GMAT Takers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (very important) [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2013, 08:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Expert Post
Followers: 312

Kudos [?]: 2622 [0], given: 697

Re: Attention GMAT Takers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (very important) [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2013, 09:01
Expert's post
It is so difficult for the students to understand that this test need an holistic approach, is a test about logic, is an entrance test, is'nt a test of the end of the book "done I know all the necessary to tackle the test"............. :roll:

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Expert Post

Re: Attention GMAT Takers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (very important) [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2013, 09:03
Expert's post
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 691

Kudos [?]: 3045 [1] , given: 890

Re: Attention GMAT Takers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (very important) [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2013, 09:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
lol i was just trying the new tapatalk
anyway, i think the new so called "radical" changes in the GMAT is a HUGE marketing ploy by some prep companies. I think it is largely similar as it used to be, and I also think a person who scored a 750 in 2002 will NOT score less than 720 if he takes it right now.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post

Re: Attention GMAT Takers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (very important) [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2013, 09:34
Expert's post
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q36 V28
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V33
GPA: 2.82
WE: Human Resources (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 181

Re: Attention GMAT Takers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (very important) [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 11:55
Then why the OG13 includes idiom SC questions???

My RC Recipe
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-rc-recipe-149577.html

My Problem Takeaway Template
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-simplest-problem-takeaway-template-150646.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Attention GMAT Takers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (very important) [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 21:23
TheNona wrote:
Then why the OG13 includes idiom SC questions???

Because OG contains historical questions as well. The previous collection had Idioms as well!

Its no where written clearly that Idioms wont be a part of the test. Instead of avoiding idioms, we can just be as prepared as we were planning to!

One Last Shot

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-30-2014

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 168

CAT Tests
Re: Attention GMAT Takers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (very important) [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2013, 06:09
wow thats a great post sandeep.
do you have any such post for quant as well. if not i request pls do write something as good on PS and DS.
i am to write my test in 2 weeks- any tips on verbal and quant will be really really appreciated.
and i follow your videos. they are just brilliant.
thanks again
prachi
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Attention GMAT Takers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (very important) [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2013, 10:31
This is such an old post...why dredge up the past?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 2280 [1] , given: 31

Re: Attention GMAT Takers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (very important) [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2013, 13:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
PSMBAPS wrote:
wow thats a great post sandeep.
do you have any such post for quant as well. if not i request pls do write something as good on PS and DS.
i am to write my test in 2 weeks- any tips on verbal and quant will be really really appreciated.
and i follow your videos. they are just brilliant.
thanks again
prachi

Dear PSMBAPS,
First of all, on the issue of idioms, see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/how-import ... orrection/
Here's a free idiom ebook:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idiom-ebook/
Here's a blog with DS tips:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-data- ... ency-tips/
Here's a blog, with several links about number properties, one of the most tested topics:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-number-properties/
Here's an article about CR strategies, with links to individual CR question types.
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/save-time- ... questions/
I hope all this helps.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-30-2014

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 168

CAT Tests
Re: Attention GMAT Takers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (very important) [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2013, 20:08
great, thanks mike.
do you have any great tips on the RC, IR , AWA and the test day strategy/ timing strategy as well?
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Attention GMAT Takers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (very important) [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2013, 20:48
OG 13 uses retired questions, which are by definition 8 years old. Any recent GMAT taker would vouch for differences in SC. Countless debriefs have reiterated the same.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 2280 [1] , given: 31

Re: Attention GMAT Takers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (very important) [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2013, 09:44
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
PSMBAPS wrote:
great, thanks mike.
do you have any great tips on the RC, IR , AWA and the test day strategy/ timing strategy as well?

Dear PSMBAPS,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

Here's an unconventional take on RC:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/curiosity- ... n-success/
Here's a more standard set of RC strategies:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/strategies ... ion-types/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-rc-el ... g-answers/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/inference- ... rehension/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-readi ... ully-once/
Of course, the biggest and most effective strategy by far is: READ, READ, READ. Over and above any GMAT prep, you should be reading. Here are some suggestions on what to read:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-reading-list/

For IR, see
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/tips-for-g ... reasoning/

For AWA, see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/the-direct ... -gmat-awa/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-awa-strategies/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/typical-fl ... a-prompts/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/brainstorm ... -gmat-awa/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-awa-example-essay/

For overall test-taking strategies, consider:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/understand ... rformance/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-study ... vs-random/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/pacing-and ... -the-gmat/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/when-to-guess-on-the-gmat/

Finally, for exam mindset, consider:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/overcome-g ... y-breathe/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/beating-gmat-stress/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/the-gmat-b ... g-picture/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/zen-boot-c ... -the-gmat/

I hope you find all this helpful.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: Attention GMAT Takers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (very important)   [#permalink] 26 Sep 2013, 09:44